Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

Here in Arizona it is against real estate law to disclose a death in a house. Even your realtor cannot disclose it if you ask them.

Not meaning to go off topic, but In California, it is exactly the opposite. By law, the seller must provide that information. (Surprising how real estate laws vary from state to state).

Back to the thread....

I think you couldn't be more wrong. People will not be talking about this for the life of the ship. This will be old news and people will forget. Princess will not refigure these cabin into a different space or tear them down.

There have been many deaths on cruise ships and the cabins remain the same.

They will be cleaned up, new carpet and such and then it's business as usual.

If you think I am wrong, answer me this. Would you go on your holiday in a cabin where you know a murder took place and blood was splattered all over the walls?

I certainly would not have a holiday in that cabin and others have declared the same.

I am empathetic with the family. No one should lose their life in any type of violence. However, I think people have a right to be upset because they lost vacation time or adventure, because someone who they never knew died or committed a crime. It certainly is not Princess fault, so what is justice for those people whose life was infringed upon by an evil. It is not a major infringement and they did not loose a family member, but they still had a loss they did not anticipate and damaged them. We can feel sorry for but not cry for every person who dies everyday. We would live in depression and sadness at the time.

The fact they are alive and will live to cruise again? I think death tops someones vacation being delayed especially since there are kids who have now lost both parents. Why should Princess give anyone other than the family any sort of compensation? Your alive you will go home to your families thats your compensation.

The fact they are alive and will live to cruise again? I think death tops someones vacation being delayed especially since there are kids who have now lost both parents. Why should Princess give anyone other than the family any sort of compensation? Your alive you will go home to your families thats your compensation.

And why should Princess compensate the family for a crime a family member committed?

And why should Princess compensate the family for a crime a family member committed?

There Are children involved here and when I mean compensation I mean assistance and maybe some sort of grief counselors for those children. Who now are without both parents as a good well gesture. I am not talking about anything else but pure assistance in a time of need and compassion for those kids who lost a lot more than a vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My post was not about compensation. There is nothing can could be done. However, that does not mean people can't be upset about losing part of their vacation. They have no obligation to a family they know nothing about.

There Are children involved here and when I mean compensation I mean assistance and maybe some sort of grief counselors for those children. Who now are without both parents as a good well gesture. I am not talking about anything else but pure assistance in a time of need and compassion for those kids who lost a lot more than a vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess do not owe those girls anything and should not be offering any sort of assistance. Princess is not responsible for what happened. The cruise line should not be the one to be forced to take that action at all. It may sound cold and hard but it is true. There is only one person that is responsible.

My heart breaks for the children. If your neighbor friend hears of the guardians or children starting a "Go Fund Me" or similar type of account, please post the information as I'd imagine there will be financial difficulties. It's so sad and recovery will be a long process. I'm sure there is a whole community of support of strangers for them during this difficult time.

This is a perfect example of what I just said. Why are THESE family victims more worthy of a gofund me effort than the family victims of the thousands of other murders that occur? Particularly the many that involve poor inner city kids who couldn't even dream about ever going on a cruise?

Certainly anyone can do what they choose with their resources. I just don't get the perspective, nor the priorities.

Children, men and women are now damaged for life and this poor woman is dead all over what was probably something she did not STOP to think about.
While I understand your point, the way you've worded it is just too close to blaming the victim. In no conception of any scenario is resorting to physical violence an acceptable reaction to anything other than physical violence itself, no matter how bad someone is making you feel.

Domestic Violence IS a mental health issue!
Thank you for raising that. Very true.

I have read this 5 times and still have no idea what you meant
I believe AZbeachboy was saying that our sympathy shouldn't drive us to cast blame anywhere other than where it actually belongs (which, as difficult as it may be to accept, sometimes is "nowhere"), and that our sympathy shouldn't paralyze us.

I read as meaning that this is a classic example of one death being treated as an emotional tragedy while the thousands of other murders are regarded as mere statistics.
Wow. Okay, I guess there are many different ways to read that post. While I didn't read that message from that posting, I do see it as a valid message. It goes hand-in-hand with the responses that have said that this will eventually fade from our collective memory as passengers of cruise lines and potential passengers of that ship: The shocking nature of this incident, and how closely it cuts to something that we all have reason to value (our safety when we cruise) has fostered a kind of mob mentality reaction, that makes our responses (including mine) stronger than they would be "in the light of day", i.e., after we've had a reasonable period of time to internalize the incident and move past it. Months from now the vast majority of us will be able to look back on the incident with more perspective and our responses to the incident will undoubtedly be more reasonable than they would be while the incident is still fresh in our minds and affecting our judgment.

This is a perfect example of what I just said. Why are THESE family victims more worthy of a gofund me effort than the family victims of the thousands of other murders that occur? Particularly the many that involve poor inner city kids who couldn't even dream about ever going on a cruise? Certainly anyone can do what they choose with their resources. I just don't get the perspective, nor the priorities.
Again, I didn't see that being the message from that specific post, but you're saying it and it is valid on that basis alone. It resonates with some of the comments earlier in the thread and in a different thread I read yesterday (related to an older woman stricken during a cruise and now in a hospital in Anchorage, stranded there because she didn't have trip insurance that would transport her home) challenging us to admit that a generous and effusive response from the community may be different if it was a different victim.

Not meaning to go off topic, but In California, it is exactly the opposite. By law, the seller must provide that information. (Surprising how real estate laws vary from state to state).
To be clear, in California such disclosures must be made for offers within three years of the death, and only if the death was not one that is protected from disclosure by other laws.

Why should Princess give anyone other than the family any sort of compensation?
Well, surely Princess must refund whatever was paid for but Princess was unable to provide. Beyond that, Princess should strategically offer gifts to passengers in proportion to the benefit they'd get from looking like a generous and compassionate company. I bet every penny of compensation they give will somehow be booked in such a way that it adds to the Goodwill line on the balance sheet.

That's our responsibility, as a society, not Princess'. The children were taken into protective custody by authorities, from what I've read, and it is those authorities that have the obligation to provide the support you're referring to, working on our behalf.

Only just hit the press here in the UK (or at least it's the first I've seen)

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/fbi-woman-killed-on-cruise-ship-in-fatal-domestic-dispute-during-murder-mystery-dinner/ar-AAoWyTg?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp

Skimmed through 14 pages. Truly awful. Would I want to stay in that cabin - at this precise moment in time probably not - ask me a few months down the line and I probably would say Yes.

I am on the Emerald this Sunday July 30. When I started to read this thread, I thought I hope it is not my cabin then I read here which cabin it was.

I would not like to have either of these cabins now when the news is fresh, at a later date maybe.

I think you are correct. People stopped talking about George Smith on Brilliance OTS long ago. I don't believe they did anything with that cabin, although I realize a body wasn't found in it.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It seems that whenever a case of a cruise ship homicide or other major crime occurs, George Smith's name is brought up....as you just did. That incident occurred 12 years ago. It's almost a landmark case for cruise ship crime. I'm not sure how long people are going to remember Kristy or Kenneth's names but I guarantee this case will be mentioned for many years to come when other incidents occur.

You are correct about the cabin. RCI did not renumber the cabin. Smith's room # can easily be Googled.

I know it wouldn't suit a lot of people, but I am more moved by logic than emotion and I wouldn't mind in the slightest cruising in the 'murder' cabin, even straight away.

I'm sure it will have been well cleaned - it may need new carpet depending on how heavily it's stained - but I don't see it as any worse (and probably cleaner) than any other ship cabin or hotel room ... who knows what previous occupants have been doing in the bed in which you are sleeping or on the sofa on which you are sitting?

Best not to dwell on it and just get on with enjoying the here and now.

I know it wouldn't suit a lot of people, but I am more moved by logic than emotion and I wouldn't mind in the slightest cruising in the 'murder' cabin, even straight away.

I'm sure it will have been well cleaned - it may need new carpet depending on how heavily it's stained - but I don't see it as any worse (and probably cleaner) than any other ship cabin or hotel room ... who knows what previous occupants have been doing in the bed in which you are sleeping or on the sofa on which you are sitting?

I think it's more than likely that they'll rip the cabin apart & replace everything.

It's probably more of a reputation thing then being clean at this point.

For most people, all the hype will be forgotten very shortly & people will move on with cruising.

Except maybe the people who booked their very first cruise on Princess.

I think lots of them will never book any cruise again, much less on Princess.

No matter what Princess does, it will never be a happy vacation for most people on that ship.

I'm not sure people will be that shallow and simple minded. Princess's conduct in handling (their duties) in a surprise tragic event will stand in their memories too. Passengers will have an unfortunate memory, but that will not destroy the entire Princess experience....I would hope!

Me too.

Reminds me of the old saying "worse things happen at sea"

I agree that this is most tragic for the family and friends involved and I would not wish this horrific life changing event on anyone. With that said....I do feel for the people aboard the ship who may or may not have scrimped and saved for the vacation of a lifetime only to have someone commit such a heinous act aboard the ship. I wish only the best for all involved. No winners here.

this poor woman is dead all over what was probably something she did not STOP to think about. He was hurt to the core and did not know how to tell her, she did not know how to listen, so she is dead! HOW PATHETIC!

It's one thing to speculate as to the possible motivation for the murder of a woman by her husband. It's quite another to excuse this man's actions as your words seem to imply.

• Like 1

If you think I am wrong, answer me this. Would you go on your holiday in a cabin where you know a murder took place and blood was splattered all over the walls?

I certainly would not have a holiday in that cabin and others have declared the same.

Of course I would book a different cabin, now that I'm aware of what happened in them. This is an absolute tragedy.

The part I think you're wrong about is Princess not ever using those two cabins again by changing the space from cabins to something else. As time goes on, most people will surely forget this and possibly not even remember the cabin numbers when booking a cruise years to come.

A while back there was someone who was killed in a Carnival ship elevator, they didn't remove the elevator and there have been thousands of people that have been in it since.

There are people booked in these cabins now for future cruises. Possibly some may change cabins but I think for the most part, not.

Edited by tonit964
spelling error

This is very tragic and disturbing news, as I have said. Thoughts and prayers to all affected. In thinking about it, and only speaking for myself, there is a psychological and emotional side to how anyone would respond to a future cruise on the Emerald or in the affected staterooms. Once they are put back into service, I'm not sure whether I would choose to stay in them or not. However, the point of my post is that beyond that I would not feel a risk of harm to myself by staying in those cabins. In any circumstance I can imagine, those cabins will be pristine when put back into use. I would be far more worried about cruising on a ship whose previous cruise was involved with a norovirus outbreak or had a death due to a dreadful communicable disease in a cabin. Those could result in risk of harm to me. This is only my personal opinion and in no way second guesses those who feel differently or makes judgments about those who hold different opinions. All are valid as the only behavior you can control is your own.