Jeans in the Dining Room?

Carol28

We are on a 7 night sail on our first Princess ship. On HAL and RCCL, most people do not wear jeans at dinnertime nor do I. However, on NCL, people tend to be more casual.

Please share the usual dress code for Princess on evenings that are considered casual.

We are on a 7 night sail on our first Princess ship. On HAL and RCCL, most people do not wear jeans at dinnertime nor do I. However, on NCL, people tend to be more casual.

Please share the usual dress code for Princess on evenings that are considered casual.

Anything goes on Princess these days. Wear what you like. Goodness knows the guy in singlet, shorts and flip flops on a formal night sure did.

NO, jeans are not usually allowed in the MDR and its likely that the person will be turned away - unless its the first night, then there's a little more leeway since some people may not have gotten their bags and unpacked them in time to dress for dinner.

I have never seen anyone show up to the MDR dressed casually on a formal night and get in. Some aren't dressed to the nines, but if they can manage a decent dress or slacks, dress shirt and tie then fine. You don't need to wear a ballgown or a tux.

Its refered to as "resort casual", so a good pair of slacks (DH likes to wear khakis) and a polo shirt work for men or a nice skirt/slacks/capris and top for women work on a regular night. I also always have a wrap or light jacket with me as I find the MDR is always a little chilly.

Happy cruising!

Princess is very relaxed and personally have always worn jeans on casual nights and it's never been an issue. I have even seen individuals in dress shorts attend dinner. As long as your attire is neat and tidy it's never going to be an issue with the crew or maître d, whereas it's more likely it'll be a fellow cruise guest that has an issue with your attire, particularly if you aren't attired to their 'standards'. Personally I would rather have great company and conversations with someone dressed casually, than sit around and be bored or uncomfortable and surrounded by well dressed but pretentious individuals.

NO, jeans are not usually allowed in the MDR and its likely that the person will be turned away - unless its the first night, then there's a little more leeway since some people may not have gotten their bags and unpacked them in time to dress for dinner.

I have never seen anyone show up to the MDR dressed casually on a formal night and get in. Some aren't dressed to the nines, but if they can manage a decent dress or slacks, dress shirt and tie then fine. You don't need to wear a ballgown or a tux.

Its refered to as "resort casual", so a good pair of slacks (DH likes to wear khakis) and a polo shirt work for men or a nice skirt/slacks/capris and top for women work on a regular night. I also always have a wrap or light jacket with me as I find the MDR is always a little chilly.

Happy cruising!

Not true....For several years now, Princess has been allowing jeans in the MDR for dinner. We have seen it on multiple ships. You won't be turned away except perhaps on formal night.

This is direct from Princess website......"Inappropriate dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms."

However.....I've seen those wearing jeans with holes be allowed to enter.

I have worn nice jeans in the MDR on casual nights. Always with a pretty top and dressy flats. Hubs won't tho. He was a working man for years, and to him jeans mean hard work, not comfy casual.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My husband wears black jeans on formal night and no problem. Princess is very lax and if you are dressed nicely, who cares?

I would rather be comfortable and have good company than dress up just to eat dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 80's called, they'd like their dress code back please :p

100% incorrect on jeans being allowed. They are allowed on all but formal night.

My husband wears black jeans on formal night and no problem. Princess is very lax and if you are dressed nicely, who cares?

I would rather be comfortable and have good company than dress up just to eat dinner.

Love your reply, I sure don't care, but the snob patrol does! Cannot wait for the dress code, formal night to totally disappear. Those were the old days, welcome to vacation.

My husband has worn new blue jeans in the dinning room several times. Usually he wears them with a polo shirt. I thought he looked just fine. I have seen women in shorts in the dinning room even though I have also seen men being turned away. Double standard I guess. BTW when I saw a man being turned away wearing shorts, his shorts were very nice ones. With the women who wore shorts, they wear them with a somewhat dressy top and heels. I personally think they should have also been turned away.

Naturally I am talking about dinner only as shorts are allowed during breakfast and lunch.

Nice jeans are perfectly fine in the MDR, even on formal nights. It's always amazed me that some cruisers will look down on someone dress sharply in a $100 pair of jeans, but those $10 pull-on polyester pants are just fine. Whatever...

Wear what you enjoy and have fun on your cruise.

The best answer? Ask at the MDR when you get on board or right before your dinner. Ultimately they are the ones that will make the decision.

FWIW I have seen several people wearing jeans in the MDR and they have been fine. Their clothes were clean, they did not look like slobs, and they didn't ruin my dining experience.

Dress like a slob, nobody cares. Oh, excuse me, I and most people like to look somewhat nice at dinner in the dining room, especially on formal night. Casual is in the Horizon Court.

I disagree. Just because you have a way to dress doesn't mean causal dress is relegated to the Horizon court. How condescending.

I disagree. Just because you have a way to dress doesn't mean causal dress is relegated to the Horizon court. How condescending.

Condescending?

Well maybe, maybe not. It might have been said better but who knows.

The reason my wife and I choose Princess is because our experiences have shown a better quality of guest experience than say Carnival. We have seen people dress much nicer for dinner/evenings on Princess than Carnival and appreciate that. We will never return to Carnival.

If Princess goes that way we will be looking for a more upscale cruise-line for future cruises.

Of course everyone has their own idea of a vacation experience but is it that hard to put a pair of pants on for dinner? All day on the ship you can be in shorts or swimwear right? I love seeing my wife all dolled up in dresses and skirts and it is only right that I put the same effort in my evening attire by wearing a suit or dress slacks for her.

Oh well everyone has an opinion right. Be well.

Love your reply, I sure don't care, but the snob patrol does! Cannot wait for the dress code, formal night to totally disappear. Those were the old days, welcome to vacation.

Totally agree....for some reason people keep acting like Formal Nights on a Princess ship are all that.....it has been our experience on many Princess cruises that the hype about dress does not match the reality. People wear whatever they want and it is no big deal. Some designer jeans are a lot better looking then some of the old tired looking formal threads I see people wearing on formal nights...;)

Nice jeans are perfectly fine in the MDR, even on formal nights. It's always amazed me that some cruisers will look down on someone dress sharply in a $100 pair of jeans, but those $10 pull-on polyester pants are just fine. Whatever...

So the more expensive the clothes, the more classy the person? That must mean that you are very classy. :rolleyes:

Princess is very relaxed and personally have always worn jeans on casual nights and it's never been an issue. I have even seen individuals in dress shorts attend dinner. As long as your attire is neat and tidy it's never going to be an issue with the crew or maître d, whereas it's more likely it'll be a fellow cruise guest that has an issue with your attire, particularly if you aren't attired to their 'standards'. Personally I would rather have great company and conversations with someone dressed casually, than sit around and be bored or uncomfortable and surrounded by well dressed but pretentious individuals.

We were on the Golden 2 weeks ago and there were people in shorts in the MDR at dinner multiple nights.

So the more expensive the clothes, the more classy the person? That must mean that you are very classy. :rolleyes:

I don't read it that way. It's more like jeans no matter how much they cost and how well they fit will always be considered a no no by some people but putting in a pair of ill fitting polyester pants some how is better.

I have never seen anyone show up to the MDR dressed casually on a formal night and get in.

A. The OP's question was not aimed at Formal Night, so why bring it up?

B. Seriously?? I guess it depends on how one defines "casual". If by that you mean a guy wearing shorts and a T-Shirt that says "I'm With Stupid" and has an arrow pointing to the left, then, sure, I guess that person wouldn't get in. But under almost any other definition of "casual", people get admitted into the MDRs on Formal Nights all the time.

im_with_stupid_womens_tshirt.jpg.c160d56c0427ce75e6973574deced76e.jpg

Edited by JimmyVWine

Rather than rely upon what you read here, I would recommend referring to the actual Princess Dress Code. Many posters would like you to believe that the MDR is far more formal than it actually is.

Here's the actual dress code (which you can verify by google search):

Code begins:

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Code Ends.

The answer to your question is that jeans are permitted on all but formal nights as long as they have no fraying and/or holes.

Now, what the MDR will allow on formal nights may or may not be strictly IAW the formal dress code.