No self laundry services on Celebrity Solstice

Calicruiser1

Actually, NONE of Celebrity's Ships have self-serve Laundry or Ironing facilities (and you cannot bring an iron aboard... Listed on the Contraband Items)

This info is all laid out on the Celebrity Website - FAQs Pg, as well as in one's Cruise Contract (sample also linked to the FAQs)

Celebrity FAQS = http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions

I do strongly suggest that everyone read these two very Important Docs BEFORE they cruise (lol, maybe even BEFORE they book)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Not sure if if everyone knows this already but there are no laundry rooms on the Solstice. Make sure you have enough pieces of clothing or you will have to use the ships's service.

Not just Solstice. Celebrity does not have self service laundry on any of it's ships. Bring enough clothes or use the laundry/dry cleaning setvice - just don't put anything good in the wash!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Not sure if if everyone knows this already but there are no laundry rooms on the Solstice. Make sure you have enough pieces of clothing or you will have to use the ships's service.

The ships service's are a reasonable cost. We don't mind sending out clothes at all. Laundry is the last thing I want to do on a cruise.

I'll take the contrarian position - I'm a fan, having used them on the HAL ships that do have them (not all of theirs do.) I like the control over the end result.

The reason - we've done a bunch of transatlantics, and travel fairly light for dealing with train compartments and small car trunks in Europe. It's not feasible to hand wash everything.

So after traveling for a couple weeks, one of the first things I do on embarkation day is wash all our heavier clothes in cold water at the ship's laundromat and dry in a warm dryer - or hang up some things to dry (versus sending them all out and getting back variable results from overly hot water/hot dryers at the ship's laundry.

On an eastbound crossing, the reverse works well. I do laundry before packing to disembark so I'll start off touring Europe with clean clothes.

The ships services are reasonable and I have never had a problem.

Hardly reasonable, especially for a long cruise!! :confused: I got 25% off of laundry services recently on the Infinity and still paid $13 for 2 shirts and a bathing suit coverup! That's highway robbery. For smaller, personal items I washed them myself in the bathroom sink and hung them out to dry on our balcony during the night. Ridiculous that I should have to do that, but I'm not paying a small fortune for the ship to wash my clothes. And I'm not going to lug a bunch of suitcases overseas.

One of the things I love about Princess is that they have inexpensive self serve laundries on most passenger decks. And those who are Elite status or in full suites get unlimited free laundry service. This makes packing for a long cruise (or overseas cruise) so much lighter and easier. I can't understand why Celebrity doesn't provide launderettes.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

1. It takes away from stateroom (ie revenue space)

2. Laundry services are revenue producing

3. Self serve laundry machines break, malfunction, experience user error, create all kinds of problems

4. Self serve laundry doesn't fit their image of modern luxury

Are you saying that fights over who uses the washing machines first and over clothes left unattended in machines and then tossed in a corner isn't modern luxury?? :confused:

Edited by fortinweb

1. It takes away from stateroom (ie revenue space)

2. Laundry services are revenue producing

3. Self serve laundry machines break, malfunction, experience user error, create all kinds of problems Including breakdowns / floods !!!

4. Self serve laundry doesn't fit their image of modern luxury

This...

Plus SOMEONE (actually many someones) has to live next door to these Laundry Rooms with their extra noise & hall traffic... That means more unhappy Pax and more cabins on the "do not book list" = lower revenues = better cabins pay even higher prices

I am not at all in favour of Self-Serve Laundries... Although I will admit I see the convenience that others argue for

Personally I have no desire to spend my precious cruise time sitting around doing laundry (or watching the clock worrying about it)

BUT, I would be completely ok with Self-Serve Pressing Stations

Although if Celebrity chooses not to ave them... I really am ok with the status quo

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

The OP is new here, be nice

I agree.

Some people are too quick to jump on other people on here (notice how it's often those who seem to have something to say in every thread??). Not everyone spends all their time researching the posts contained in all past threads.

Shawn

Although I know that Celebrity doesn't have self service laundry I'm sure that this tread will help a new cruiser who wouldn't have any idea. One of the reasons that I like Princess is because they have self service laundry. Since we only do 7 day Caribbean itineraries we can get away with packing more clothing so it's not an issue for us.

So after traveling for a couple weeks, one of the first things I do on embarkation day is wash all our heavier clothes in cold water at the ship's laundromat and dry in a warm dryer - or hang up some things to dry (versus sending them all out and getting back variable results from overly hot water/hot dryers at the ship's laundry.

And that brings up another good point: there are no retractable clotheslines in the S-class bathrooms. So, even if you are rinsing out a few light items in the sink, you'll need to bring a travel clothesline -- or get creative!

I totally agree, on a vacation i don't want to mess with laundry....and I budget for such things...I just want to relax....enjoy myself and let others do the work for a change:cool:

This...

Plus SOMEONE (actually many someones) has to live next door to these Laundry Rooms with their extra noise & hall traffic... That means more unhappy Pax and more cabins on the "do not book list" = lower revenues = better cabins pay even higher prices

I am not at all in favour of Self-Serve Laundries... Although I will admit I see the convenience that others argue for

Personally I have no desire to spend my precious cruise time sitting around doing laundry (or watching the clock worrying about it)

Although if Celebrity chooses not to ave them... I really am ok with the status quo

Cheers!

And that brings up another good point: there are no retractable clotheslines in the S-class bathrooms. So, even if you are rinsing out a few light items in the sink, you'll need to bring a travel clothesline -- or get creative!

Good point! For hand wash on long trips, I sometimes bring along a gadget that looks like a collapsible umbrella, with little clips on the ends to attach socks or underwear, and hang it on whatever hook or rail is available in the bathroom (after towel drying first.)

By the way, the other convenience of self-service laundries on board ship is that you have clean clothes in 2 or 3 hours instead of days. Still remember the time I dropped a Bloody Mary while wearing a white jacket...

This...

Cheers!

This is true.

I was recently on a Princess cruise and one of the couple's we sat with in the MDR cabin was located near the laundry. They said it was in use all hours of the night which they could hear.

Elite gets one free bag of laundry per person --- Elite+ is 2 bags and Zenith is unlimited.

Even for two weeks, we do fine with two bags, we're Elite+ now and have a 10 day coming up. I doubt we'll use even one bag.

Sometimes it's worth it to pay for an extra bag on the airline and pack enough so it isn't a concern.

Edited by CRUZBUDS