Filling water bottles

CH_ca

Hi, I have never brought water bottles on a cruise before. Recently, I try to make myself drink water more regularly, so I will be bringing my water bottle along this time. Some people say the water at buffet actually tastes better than your cabin's, but you're not allowed to fill your water bottles at the buffet station for sanitary reasons. Is it ok to fill a cup at the station, go back to your table, and pour the water into your water bottle at the table? Or they simply don't want people draining their filtered water in the buffet?

Hi, I have never brought water bottles on a cruise before. Recently, I try to make myself drink water more regularly, so I will be bringing my water bottle along this time. Some people say the water at buffet actually tastes better than your cabin's, but you're not allowed to fill your water bottles at the buffet station for sanitary reasons. Is it ok to fill a cup at the station, go back to your table, and pour the water into your water bottle at the table? Or they simply don't want people draining their filtered water in the buffet?

You are required to use a clean cup to take water from the buffet dispenser and fill your bottle.

DO NOT put your water bottle directly to the dispenser, it is highly unsanitary and will cause the spread of germs.

You are required to use a clean cup to take water from the buffet dispenser and fill your bottle.

DO NOT put your water bottle directly to the dispenser, it is highly unsanitary and will cause the spread of germs.

I think that it's good that they have that rule, I really don't want anyone to touch the dispenser with their bottle, but it should not be needed.

Common sense should be enough but I know that not everyone has that! It's very easy to fill a bottle without touching the dispenser with it so a clean cup should not be needed.

I think that it's good that they have that rule, I really don't want anyone to touch the dispenser with their bottle, but it should not be needed.

Common sense should be enough but I know that not everyone has that! It's very easy to fill a bottle without touching the dispenser with it so a clean cup should not be needed.

The problem is not only touching the spout with your water bottle, but most of these dispensers have a bar that is pushed back by the glass to start and stop the flow. Therefore, where your mouth touched the outside of the glass could touch the bar, which would then transfer to the next glass. This is why you are not allowed to even reuse a ship's glass at the dispenser. While mouth transfer would not be as likely with a water bottle, the outside of the water bottle is handled more, and has "gone more places" than a ship's glass, so it could contaminate the push bar.

Many cruise lines have gone to the "no contact" type of dispenser, where you place your glass/water bottle on the platform, and press a button to dispense. These types of dispensers, if USPH approved will have spouts that cannot be touched by a glass/water bottle, and don't have the restriction on refilling, such as RCI's freestyle Coke machines.

You don't need to take it back to the table to fill your water bottle. Do it right at the dispenser just use the cup as recommended. For mine it usually takes three cups of ice and three cups of water to fill it. Not going to be running back and forth to a table to do that.

They don't care about filling it at the buffet.

I didn't think the water in the cabins was really very nice to drink...presumably it was safe but tasted strange, whilst the filtered water at the dining room or buffet tasted fine. We never had a problem filling our wide necked water bottles at the dining table , the waiters were more than happy to refill the glasses, then we just tipped them into our bottles. Still feel ncl have a seriously stupid ubp which lets you drink yourself stupid on spirits, beer, wine cocktails but will not include even a small bottle of water from any of the bars...madness!:mad:

I didn't think the water in the cabins was really very nice to drink...presumably it was safe but tasted strange, whilst the filtered water at the dining room or buffet tasted fine. We never had a problem filling our wide necked water bottles at the dining table , the waiters were more than happy to refill the glasses, then we just tipped them into our bottles. Still feel ncl have a seriously stupid ubp which lets you drink yourself stupid on spirits, beer, wine cocktails but will not include even a small bottle of water from any of the bars...madness!:mad:

There are other ships that include water in there drink package like CCL.

Maybe that would be best if you do not like the NCL rules.

I prefer to not me limited on my drinks like CCL (15) does so I cruise with NCL. so we are the complete opposite. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaner, yes. The question is whether it is better for drinking. Depending on the technology and generation of technology used, the answer will invariably vary.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I watched a special on modern cruise ships and the water out of the tap in your cabin is cleaner than most city water. I just drink that and fill my water bottle from there and put it in the cabin fridge.
Yes, it is. If you read some of Chengkp75's post, he has gone into great detail about the ships water and as a cruise line Engineer I think he knows more than anyone.

I don't use the tap water in the cabin, but fill my water bottle up from the dispenser in the buffet, which has more filters.

The filling the water bottle drives me nuts. If my local gym can have a bottle filler for the last 6 years I'm sure one can be installed on a ship.
Aren't those notoriously dangerous conduits for passing viruses around? The recessed spout seems like a nice improvement but does it really makes that much of a difference?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Aren't those notoriously dangerous conduits for passing viruses around? The recessed spout seems like a nice improvement but does it really makes that much of a difference?

No, and the USPH/CDC agrees. This type of bottle filler has been installed on some newer ships and is approved for refilling of containers. Since there is almost no chance of contacting the spout, and there is no dispensing lever, without physical contact between water bottles, there is no risk.