More RCI Cost Cutting?

Have you seen more RCI cost cutting?

Here is what I saw on Explorer 2/9 to 2/16.

Drink/Cocktail napkins no longer have the RCI logo.

No ice bucket in the cabins - only on request.

Steward would not empty re fridge or remove Evian water from dresser.

Just plain refused - First time I heard a flat "NO" on RCI ...

Past Passenger event held @ 10:45 AM - on a day when you arrive in port @ 1PM - Saving drink alcohol drink costs?

"Top Tier Event" - Formal attire required to attend when casual is the MDR dress code.

Again - More alcohol savings?

What have you seen?

Edited by Stefan Batory

Past Passenger event held @ 10:45 AM - on a day when you arrive in port @ 1PM - Saving drink alcohol drink costs?

"Top Tier Event" - Formal attire required to attend when casual is the MDR dress code.

What have you seen?

Sad to see and hear about these things!

cb at sea- I totaly agree- I make my blood presure turn up- well almost- LOL. The cruises have to get cheaper and cheaper, price drops, free cruises even- and then some complain about Cuts- - well IMO put the cruise fare up a little- or keep them up- and keep the " Service- the unique experience UP! ( Or in some matter - back- ) I don´t need towels foldes as animals- I nice gestures and some seem to love it- but really " important"!

Edited by Germancruiser

What have you seen?

Why do we need a logo on the napkins? Good for them for removing it! What a waste of money!

You probably just had a rude and lazy steward.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Most of your list has been in place for the last two years. With the exception of the welcome back party you mention I don't see any cutbacks in those areas. Welcome back parties have been held at any time. On the Allure it was early and they served mimosas.

To be fair I have never understood the fascination with cleaning out the honor bar, (and yes we have been falsely charged for the water). A hotel wouldn't do it for you, I don't understand why RCI would. It's their refrigerator to make money (like a hotel). I don't know for sure, but I bet RCI farms out that task to another vendor. Just like the shoppes.

I would also add Emerald coupon books - No more coupon books.

You must ask if you have a freebie or discount.

There is a list of your discounts buried among all the papers on embarkation day...But I am sure many guests miss that info...And never take advantage...More savings/cost cutting for that tricky cruise line...

It seems that there must be a crew committee who's job is to make everything inconvenient for the guest in order to save that tricky line cruise money.

Edited by Stefan Batory

Easy one - had a pretty lazy CS years ago. Took everything out and put it into the sink. Let him know that the sink still needed to be cleaned - "you" put that stuff wherever you want - the chiller is "mine". The second day everything went away ;).

YMMV.

Maybe it varies by cruise line. We had the same problem with the fridge contents until we were told (on Royal Caribbean) that we had to call room service to get the contents removed/changed. The regular room stewards have different duties and do not handle this type of request. .

There is a list of your discounts buried among all the papers on embarkation day...But I am sure many guests miss that info...And never take advantage...More savings/cost cutting for that tricky cruise line...

It seems that there must be a crew committee who's job is to make everything inconvenient for the guest in order to save that tricky line cruise money.[/QUOT

:rolleyes: Sorry but nothing thus far do I see would interfere with my cruise or would I consider cost cutting. Napkins with logo??? Really? Saving on paper for the coupon book made sense to me... I have 25+ books if you'd like some? Now taking away the charge for pool towels was poor decision to me! Not many return towels, now for sure can never find open deck chair! Check out pool area just after 5:30 pm and see how lazy people can be...

OP, sorry to hear you were disappointed but as stated, some of these things are not new. Ice has been "upon request" for some time now and even then, it's only a one-time request for the whole cruise, right? No biggie. Also, the cabin steward is NOT responsible for the fridge (cooler) items - that is now and has been for some time the responsibility of Bar Services. Your cabin steward had every right to decline your requests but perhaps s/he was rude about it, I don't know.

Can you explain the "Formal Wear required" comment concerning the top tier event?

Do you know what I thought was funny? One of the items on the scavenger hunt was drink/cocktail napkin with the RCI logo....we even asked the bartender. I'm not sure where you would even be able to find those anymore? :)

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when somebody mentions Royal's blatant cutting corners. When it gets noticeable, it's time to raise those prices a few dollars a day... And its been noticeable for years now.

Whether its material or not, if I'm paying $4000 for a cruise, it would be nice not to constsntly notice them cheaping out. It used to be the little things that made cruises stand out.

It seems that there must be a crew committee who's job is to make everything inconvenient for the guest in order to save that tricky line cruise money.

No more coupon books for any tier level rolling over for some time now - the coupons are now being loaded on your SeaPass card and are readily available for use as before. Asking to have one applied is not a whole lot different than presenting a coupon when you want it.

The crew committee is likely. :rolleyes:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Long time lurker. Have been on 20+ cruises and just turned diamond on this last cruise with rci.

I was on this cruise as well.

The formal attire but casual in compass was a mistake. Formal night is always the second to last sea day on this itinerary and it happened to land on valentines day. Most people still dressed up if you noticed for two reason, they knew it was supposed to be formal night or bc it was valentines day. This was also lobster night, which is also formal night. i asked our waiter and he said it was a cruise compass mistake.

They also now cut out the flower in the middle if the table and now there is barely any silverware on the table. Just two forks and two knives. Makes the tables look quite barren.

The food also has taken a hit. I am not a foodie and dont care about food, but the standard daily free steak option on the mdr menu used to be ok. Now it is dry and terrible. I asked our waiter about it and he said that since they changed the menus that the steak is no longer good.

I noticed that the ribs were not as good as normal in windjammer. Normally pretty juicy but dry and tough this cruise. Also cut out donuts. My son loves the donuts and they cut those out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

r had a

What have you seen?

Sounds like some of these cost cutting measures might be a little blowback from the norovirus scare Explorer experienced a couple of weeks ago

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What have you seen?

They are all cost cutting.

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape when somebody mentions Royal's blatant cutting corners. When it gets noticeable, it's time to raise those prices a few dollars a day... And its been noticeable for years now.

Whether its material or not, if I'm paying $4000 for a cruise, it would be nice not to constsntly notice them cheaping out. It used to be the little things that made cruises stand out.

You are so right! It seems like the cheerleaders just want a cheap cruise!

Except for the logo on the napkins, I'm not sure how any of this actually results in lower costs. In any case, all companies are constantly trying to lower costs. Buy a few shares of their stock, and enjoy the results of this cost cutting to help pay for your next cruise if it's a big issues for you.

You are so right! It seems like the cheerleaders just want a cheap cruise!

I had to go back and read all these posts because I couldn't remember who got 'bent out of shape.' I was not so shocked to find nobody getting bent. I'm not sure why there's this need to call people 'cheerleaders' when they disagree with your point of view. It's kind of insulting and says more about you.