Getting Bumped from your Cabin?

johnjen

When we booked the upcoming June cruise last June, we were placed in an aft cabin on Brilliance. We were thrilled as we've never had an aft before. I can't remember where I saw the thread and I've done a search using keywords, nothing comes up - but I remember seeing a thread where there was some cases of people getting BUMPED from their originally booked cabins and there was some sort of "upgrade" given.

Honestly - we don't want ANY upgrade at all. What would I do if we were bumped? Is there much, if anything, we can do to prevent this if it occurred? And, if so, what's the reason causing you to get bumped in the first place?

When we booked the upcoming June cruise last June, we were placed in an aft cabin on Brilliance. We were thrilled as we've never had an aft before. I can't remember where I saw the thread and I've done a search using keywords, nothing comes up - but I remember seeing a thread where there was some cases of people getting BUMPED from their originally booked cabins and there was some sort of "upgrade" given.

Honestly - we don't want ANY upgrade at all. What would I do if we were bumped? Is there much, if anything, we can do to prevent this if it occurred? And, if so, what's the reason causing you to get bumped in the first place?

Getting bumped does happen but it is very rare. It is more likely to happen if you are 2 people that were initially assigned a cabin that can sleep 3 or 4.

If you were assigned a guarantee there is nothing you can do to or event them from bumping you.

Getting bumped does happen but it is very rare. It is more likely to happen if you are 2 people that were initially assigned a cabin that can sleep 3 or 4.

If you were assigned a guarantee there is nothing you can do to or event them from bumping you.

That's the only time I've heard of that happening.

The point made of having 2 people reserved in a cabin for 3 or 4 is correct & can get you bumped. I've never had an aft balcony but here is what I've heard you can do & in fact, I was told this on our last cruise by someone who booked a corner aft balcony for just two. It worked for them.

1. Add a third person.

2. Pay the minimum required.

3. Drop the 3rd person right before or at due date.

4. Receive your paid monies back.

5. The cabin is yours.

Other than booking a guarantee cabin, where they can reallocate you right up until boarding, you can be bumped from a Disability Access cabin when you have no need of said cabin and another passenger does.

What cabins are disability cabins...we are booked in 7258?

The point made of having 2 people reserved in a cabin for 3 or 4 is correct & can get you bumped. I've never had an aft balcony but here is what I've heard you can do & in fact, I was told this on our last cruise by someone who booked a corner aft balcony for just two. It worked for them.

1. Add a third person.

2. Pay the minimum required.

3. Drop the 3rd person right before or at due date.

4. Receive your paid monies back.

5. The cabin is yours.

Dropping the 3rd person...couldn't RCI still bump you even after final is paid to the same category but one that will only accommodate two. That's taking a chance isn't it :confused:

Our 1st upgrade was a bump. I knew we still had cabin 8168 which is one of the corner aft balconies right below the coveted 9256 the day before we flew to San Juan for our cruise. Back then, luggage tags were still mailed to you and we had our tags on our luggage at the cruise terminal before we checked in.

We're at the counter getting ourselves checked in and the agent says "Congratulations. You've been upgraded to a Junior Suite". Apparently, my response was not what he was expecting. I just kept mentioning that this must be a mistake, we want the big corner balcony, among other things. He looked at me like I was crazy and said that if I'm serious, I can try to get it resolved onboard. Next.

Walked down the hall, saw our cabin door, opened it, looked inside, and thought, "Never mind. This will do just fine". Our 1st time in a Junior Suite and enjoyed the extra space and the balcony was still a bit bigger than normal D cabin balconies.

Everybody's different but we will always take the bump/upgrade every time. Unfortunately, it's only happened once since then.

Tim

Our 1st upgrade was a bump. I knew we still had cabin 8168 which is one of the corner aft balconies right below the coveted 9256 the day before we flew to San Juan for our cruise. Back then, luggage tags were still mailed to you and we had our tags on our luggage at the cruise terminal before we checked in.

We're at the counter getting ourselves checked in and the agent says "Congratulations. You've been upgraded to a Junior Suite". Apparently, my response was not what he was expecting. I just kept mentioning that this must be a mistake, we want the big corner balcony, among other things. He looked at me like I was crazy and said that if I'm serious, I can try to get it resolved onboard. Next.

Walked down the hall, saw our cabin door, opened it, looked inside, and thought, "Never mind. This will do just fine". Our 1st time in a Junior Suite and enjoyed the extra space and the balcony was still a bit bigger than normal D cabin balconies.

Everybody's different but we will always take the bump/upgrade every time. Unfortunately, it's only happened once since then.

Tim

Sounds like a great upgrade, but it wasn't a "bump." A "bump" would be same category, different cabin. As others said, if you want to avoid an upgrade make the selection in your C&A upgrade preferences. Just select "no upgrade." We have never been bumped or upgraded. I select cabins very carefully and usually don't want it changed unless I change it. So I select "no upgrade."

Sounds like a great upgrade, but it wasn't a "bump." A "bump" would be same category, different cabin. As others said, if you want to avoid an upgrade make the selection in your C&A upgrade preferences. Just select "no upgrade." We have never been bumped or upgraded. I select cabins very carefully and usually don't want it changed unless I change it. So I select "no upgrade."

Bumped is very common travel parlance for simply being displaced from your original cabin, flight, hotel room, etc., and implies no directionality. Being "bumped up to first class" does not occur with passengers already in first class.

I agree with making sure your profile indicates no changes/upgrades. I currently have a E1 reservation in a great location. I am traveling solo so the size of the cabin isn't that important. Like my location. RC could "upgrade " me to a D category, which price wise would be an upgrade, but the location might not be as good, or what I want. Make sure your profile is changed! Assuming you are not in a handicapped cabin or guaranteed cabin that should work.

where on profile does someone setup that you do/dont want upgrades.
Profile, Upgrade Preferences.

THIS!!! Of utmost importance imho.

I don't have energy this morning to look for it, but a couple months ago there was a very long thread of a fellow CC'er who had her coveted aft balcony cabin changed. With the pages and pages of posts, updates, calling RCL back and forth, the main thing that was admitted from the get go is that she did not have her "upgrade automatically" changed on her Royal Caribbean profile online. The default setting is "auto upgrade"

under profile i have

personal

crown

change name

cruise pref

onboard pref

i have clicked on each tab and found nothing about upgrading at all.

Are you a member of Crown & Anchor, and is your C&A account linked with your My Cruises account?

Bingo!

Their first cruise on Royal is coming up so it does not give them the last 2 options which are gift and upgrade preferences.

so then us newbies have no shots at upsells? :(

thats one thing i didnt research. is there an upsell dept at RCI? if not..bidding emails?

Are you a member of Crown & Anchor, and is your C&A account linked with your My Cruises account?

ok i joined

You've successfully completed your Crown & Anchor Society enrollment process. You'll begin enjoying special privileges right away. Personalized service. Preferential treatment. Everything you need to have the cruise vacation experience of a lifetime.

so what special privileges and preferential treatment do i get :p

i know to come here and ask vs looking on the website.

ok i joined

You've successfully completed your Crown & Anchor Society enrollment process. You'll begin enjoying special privileges right away. Personalized service. Preferential treatment. Everything you need to have the cruise vacation experience of a lifetime.

so what special privileges and preferential treatment do i get :p

i know to come here and ask vs looking on the website.

Unfortunately nothing except maybe a promotional e mail until after your first cruise.

Also about your previous post and upsells. The prices is very different then NCL. With Royal you just sit and wait and maybe they will call you and offer you a gpbetter cabin for more money. It is still very rare that it happens. Not like at NCL where you can bid on cabins.