Items for your balcony.

evitacruiser

If you are travelling from close to home with no weight restrictions do you take stuff like cushions and throws for your balcony?

I thought I may take a couple of cushions and lightweight fleece throws for comfort and if the breeze is cool in the evenings? Maybe a cloth ( that would be pegged down) for the balcony table too?

If you want a blanket for your verandah or a throw, ask your steward. All the chairs we have ever had on verandahs that needed cushions had them supplied. Our stewards bring them in the cabin each evening so the spray won't soil ands get them wet during our overnight sailing. He puts them back out in the morning or if we want them before steward does our cabin, it's no big deal to take a few cushions out for the chairs.

never even occurred to me. if I need a blanket I get a spare from the cabin steward.

IIRC on AK cruises many if not most lines do provide a throw anyway

and I don't use table clothes at home so why would I want one in a salty wet environment in fact I'd bet they would remove it or tell you you can't have it

never felt the need to pad the deck chairs either.

Since the fire on the Star Princess a few years ago, the cabin stewards check all balconies and verandahs in the evening to make certain that nothing is left out there.

Do you really want to take all those items out and bring them in each day? And if you leave items out while you are ashore, and they come to wash down your balcony -- they are going to get wet.

If you are travelling from close to home with no weight restrictions do you take stuff like cushions and throws for your balcony?

I thought I may take a couple of cushions and lightweight fleece throws for comfort and if the breeze is cool in the evenings? Maybe a cloth ( that would be pegged down) for the balcony table too?

Actually, you wouldn't need to bring any of those items with you. A beach towel (provided by the ship) can be folded up to make an impromptu cushion, or used as a throw, or as an impromptu table cloth. There is typically one beach towel for each guest in a cabin. However, if you need an extra one, you can always ask your cabin steward.;)

I don't think anyone has ever done those things. Why hassle, even when you drive to the port? Unless your cushions are completely fireproof, it's a very bad idea to bring your own, because people do smoke on balconies, even if there are rules against smoking, they throw their butts over the railing, and they can blow back onto a balcony and catch fire.

As for a tablecloth, unless you're in one of the bigger suites, your table could very well be very small and low to the floor---really, you dont need a tablecloth---and again, it's a fire hazard.

OMG! No! I wouldn't ever bring stuff for the balcony! The balcony table is a small "patio" sized table. If you're in a suite with a dining table, they will supply a tablecloth if you ask.

Was this really an OMG! moment, plus 3 exclamation points. Why didn't you use all capital letters, and just scream at the OP. I've seen people bring plastic palm trees and put them on their balcony. Who cares what people want to bring with them if they have room. Make suggestions like, be sure you bring them in when you leave your balcony, because they will get crusty with salt spray, or they may be a fire hazard from a cigarette thrown overboard. People ask for advice on this board, not OMG! No!

Since the fire on the Star Princess a few years ago, the cabin stewards check all balconies and verandahs in the evening to make certain that nothing is left out there.

Do you really want to take all those items out and bring them in each day? And if you leave items out while you are ashore, and they come to wash down your balcony -- they are going to get wet.

Very True! It's really not a good idea to bring these things with you.

LuLu

Remember those "snuggies" blankets with the sleeves? I brought one for my mom to use on our Alaskan cruise so she could spend more time on the balcony enjoying the views in Glacier Bay without getting cold. Shes in her 80s and gets cold easily. Having the snuggie let her stay out on the balcony without bundling up too much, and with the sleeves, she could drink her hot tea. Got it for Christmas one year and never used it--at the last minute threw it in the suitcase since there was room and I needed something to sort of fill the suitcase that didn't weigh too much. Also would be good for MUTS. (Of course we could have just used a bathrobe backwards [emoji6].) On the trip back, I used it to wrap/cushion some things I had bought, so it was useful then too, but the main reason I brought it was for the balcony. (No we didn't leave it outside.)

Edited by BassettMom

Was this really an OMG! moment, plus 3 exclamation points. Why didn't you use all capital letters, and just scream at the OP. I've seen people bring plastic palm trees and put them on their balcony. Who cares what people want to bring with them if they have room. Make suggestions like, be sure you bring them in when you leave your balcony, because they will get crusty with salt spray, or they may be a fire hazard from a cigarette thrown overboard. People ask for advice on this board, not OMG! No!

Good post.

Burt

I have my battery candle and I sit out on the balcony with my wine and watch the stars. This is what it is all about. :)

Another vote for battery-powered "flameless" candles. They can provide ambience on the balcony, and double as a night-light in the cabin. If you get the scented ones, they work well as air-fresheners in the bathroom. I never cruise without one (and extra batteries). :cool:

I always bring my inflatable pool. That way I don't have to deal with crowds around the ship's pools. :D

And I often bring my Weber BBQ so I can grill my favorite bratwurst just the way I like it. :)

I used to bring my skeet shooting gear, but with the TSA rules in place these days, it's now harder to bring a rifle along on my vacations. :(

Edited by fortinweb

I always bring my inflatable pool. That way I don't have to deal with crowds around the ship's pools. :D

And I often bring my Weber BBQ so I can grill my favorite bratwurst just the way I like it. :)

I used to bring my skeet shooting gear, but with the TSA rules in place these days, it's now harder to bring a rifle along on my vacations. :(

Too funny. I think I have been behind you at check in. I think I will bring a nice palm tree for the corner of the balcony. Maybe a nice rug. What about wind chimes and bird feeders?? Just having fun. Enjoy your cruise. Oh yeah, I forgot, I have an inside cabin!

I have my battery candle and I sit out on the balcony with my wine and watch the stars. This is what it is all about. :)

Me, too. Upon arrival in the cabin, however, I make a point of showing the steward the battery operated candle so he doesn't panic and think it is a real, open flame candle.

Nope. Nothing.

Don't want to carry anything extra, regardless of where we live! If it does not fit in our carry on it stays at home.

And none of those things either fit or earn their way into our carry on!