Safety on the High Seas

shadbrew

A number of cruise passengers were killed earlier this year in Tunisia while onshore - did everyone forget about that one?

Was very sad. But the OP was asking about cruise ships being attacked (which has happened only a few times in the past) and what happened in Tunis was not at the port (or ship). One can certainly find plenty of examples of violence all around the world. Since you live in NZ (we really enjoy visiting your country) where things are relatively safe, your solution would be to simply never leave. And when you consider that an airliner was shot down over Ukraine, and another was blown up in Egypt, you certainly do not want to fly anywhere. And given that approximately 1.3 million people die every year from auto accidents around the world you also should avoid motor vehicles. So perhaps your best solution is spend your life just walking and riding a bike (but only on safe bike trails)...which is a pretty healthy lifestyle.

Hank:eek::eek:

Edited by Hlitner

The reality is if someone wants to do something bad they could in some ports (some not all) around the world.

Some ports have fences that look like someone could easily just drive through the fence.

Some have a lot of security.

And yes, all it will take is some incident and more will be done.

Often things are more reactive than pro-active I am sorry to say.

Of course the same is true of other areas around the world including our own home country.

I don't worry about dangerous items getting onto a ship due to the screening process.

Keith

Our first cruise was our honeymoon pre Achille Lauro. No X-ray machines and our family joined us onboard for a Bon Voyage party. I miss those times but steps needed to be taken to ensure

safety.

Remember when you could go to the airport and literally walk to the gate and wave to your loved one that was flying to some fabulous place? I do.

Did anyone get birthday cards with cash inside and the sender had no concern that you would receive the card? I was a recipient.

We all adapted and went on with our lives.

After the horrific events last week in Paris, my husband told me he wants to cancel our Med cruise. I was hoping it was a knee jerk reaction and I told him to just see how things play out.

I'm still firmly committed and he knows I will go without him if he decides to stay home.

My son offered to take his place.

Shortly before our Med cruise in 2013, things really started heating up in Syria and my husband expressed concern about our stop in Turkey. Thanks to all the savvy people here on CC, I convinced him that Ephesus was far from the Syrian border.

I reminded him of that last night and asked him if terrorism was even on his mind that magical day. His answer was " no."

Before you get the impression that he is just some nervous traveler, I need to point out that he worked tirelessly at Ground Zero for weeks on end. He would return home after 11pm and we would talk for hours before he could get some sleep. Looking back, I'm not sure how we managed to function living on 3-4 hours sleep.

His reaction to the Parisian attacks just brings back painful memories that I must respect and acknowledge.

Everyone brings their own fears and experiences to the table and while some can move on, some cannot. That's ok.

You can rationalize all you want with statistics, but walk in someone else's shoes and you may have a different viewpoint.

Personally, I'm sickened and angry. Angry makes me defiant and I will NOT ALLOW some lunatics the opportunity to prevent me from seeing and experiening all the world has to offer.

As Jimmy Buffett would say, I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead. "

We have three upcoming cruises planned. After many, many years of cruising, never thought anything about safety until these recent days regarding ISIS. Anyone concerned about cruise ships getting attacked?

Unless I hear on the news that ISIS now has some submarines, I'm not concerned, and will continue to cruise. I figure there's a far greater risk of getting pooped on by a passing seagull than being attacked by terrorists on a cruise. :eek::D

I believe that security at embarkation is at least as strong as that in an airport...certainly the bottle neck when we cruise from the UK is not at the check-in desks, but the long queue for the security check, with random shoe and belt removal.

We never knew, for instance, until we saw a very local TV programme from the Southampton area, that the innocent police boat along side the QM2 was operating a miniature submarine which inspects the hull of ships.

We spent a week in Side, Turkey last month. My mother in law was worried since it "close" to Syria and it resently had been a bombing in Ankara.

I took a look at Google maps and found out that the distance between Side and Aleppo in Syria is 504 miles. The distance between Ankara and Side is 309 miles.

To put that into perspective I looked at the distance between Venice, Italy and Ljubljana, Slovenia. The distance is 149 miles.

Did you ever hear anyone avoid Venice during the Balkan war?

North african countries are concerned about security!

We called at Casablanca 2 years ago and as I was not feeling well I stayed aboard. I noticed a group of men painting a dockside crane near the bow of the ship. After they painted the same girder at least 3 times I decided that they were a security team. This was confirmed at lunchtime when 4 men arrived with big guns and the 'painters' strolled off carrying their own big guns :)

The feeling of security was enhanced by a Royal Navy frigate berthed nearby. They have a Royal Marine contingent and lots of big guns :D

of course cruise ships are potential targets, if you think they're not, you're burying your head in the sand..

but everything is a target, so what's the point of changing plans?

All the cruise lines take security seriously. Though that's no guarantee.

It's no guarantee when you fly either.

You have to live your life. Don't let terrorists terrorize you into changing your plans. If you want to go on a cruise, then do it.

No

since the ships are flagged in countries, that don't have a team in this fight, I'm not sure there is enough reason to be targeted

I don't have a concern but your logic is flawed. Everyone in the world who is not a member fo these radical groups has a team in the fights.

North african countries are concerned about security!

We called at Casablanca 2 years ago and as I was not feeling well I stayed aboard. I noticed a group of men painting a dockside crane near the bow of the ship. After they painted the same girder at least 3 times I decided that they were a security team. This was confirmed at lunchtime when 4 men arrived with big guns and the 'painters' strolled off carrying their own big guns :)

The feeling of security was enhanced by a Royal Navy frigate berthed nearby. They have a Royal Marine contingent and lots of big guns :D

Fascinating! I can believe that's true.

The last time we were in Casa, the nearest dockside crane managed to crash into one of Ventura's aft balconies... perhaps that was security having a closer look? :D

Fascinating! I can believe that's true.

The last time we were in Casa, the nearest dockside crane managed to crash into one of Ventura's aft balconies... perhaps that was security having a closer look? :D

Or testing innovative ship boarding techniques for their SWAT teams ;)

Yes, I worry about cruising.

I also worry about airplanes, schools, banks, national monuments, resorts, stadiums, dark alleys, the road in front of my home, farms, pools, churches, parks, gas stations...

There is nothing I can do except refuse to let fear keep me locked away from life.

Yes, I worry about cruising.

I also worry about airplanes, schools, banks, national monuments, resorts, stadiums, dark alleys, the road in front of my home, farms, pools, churches, parks, gas stations...

There is nothing I can do except refuse to let fear keep me locked away from life.

exactly

We have three upcoming cruises planned. After many, many years of cruising, never thought anything about safety until these recent days regarding ISIS. Anyone concerned about cruise ships getting attacked?

Has anybody heard anything from their respective cruise companies about any change of itinerary to planned trips to Belgium in the coming weeks given the alert level and what's being broadcast on the news this weekend? I'm due to dock there in December...

On my cruise (last week) we were docked in St. Martin.

Four ships docked.

Us, Celebrity Reflection, right next to us Anthem of the Seas, then Allure of the Seas, then a P&O ship. It crossed my mind how many people were on these ships, literally sitting ducks. I didn't see all the security boats patrolling like we did after 9/11. Of course, that doesn't mean security wasn't present.

I'm just posting that it crossed my mind, whereas two weeks ago it wouldn't have.

No

since the ships are flagged in countries, that don't have a team in this fight, I'm not sure there is enough reason to be targeted

I missed this one on the first go round. :D

I don't think that the terrorist want to claim the flag! ;)

If the ship is not filled with their people of choice then the ship and the people on it are a target irregardless of the colours on the flag ( IMHO)!

If we are fearful of doing anything the terrorist win.

I don't know if I 100 percent agree with this but it is an intriguing thought.

My sister changed her Dalmation Coast cruise to a Hawaiin cruise next spring. She is still spending money, still vacationing, still wants to visit that area but decided that she wanted to look forward to her vacation and a couple of months ago ( Seirian refugee crisis) she stopped doing that.

Vacation time is precious.

You are saying that the terrorists (who started the refugee crisis as well) win because she has changed her plans. So she is suppose to just forge ahead, spend the thousands of dollars and continue to plan because otherwise she is giving in. Some part of me sees that way of thinking, I do. The other part of me sees two people who work really hard who have more than one place on their bucket list to visit. One was causing them stress to plan and anticipate and the other is giving them joy and something to get them through the long winter anticipating it. I know Hawaii may not be safer come spring but that's the chance that they are taking.

I think this is much easier to say than do. I know that at least one other couple on their roll call has admitted to doing something similar.

I agree with you, would like to do another Nile Cruise but absolutely no chance. Look at Brussels this weekend, no way would I go. I wouldn't go to Greece either. But, that is my point, the terrorists are winning:(

Edited by moniquet

I agree with you, would like to do another Nile Cruise but absolutely no chance. Look at Brussels this weekend, no way would I go. I wouldn't go to Greece either. But, that is my point, the terrorists are winning:(

Brussels is on lockdown, but nothing has actually happened.