What's so great about towel animals?

Cruisegoer

My kids get the biggest laugh at them and therefore I love them.we don't tear them up we move them out of the way and the kids will include them in their toy parties. We once had a room steward figured out that the animals were in the midst of a tea party so he made some extras and brought crackers and juice for the party. That man received a three digit tip amount to himself. I made sure he didn't have to split it.

Three things in life that matter to me, my One True God, my wife, and my kids. Help me keep them all happy and I'll help make you happy.

Edited by SOMEBEECH

My kids get the biggest laugh at them and therefore I love them.we don't tear them up we move them out of the way and the kids will include them in their toy parties. We once had a room steward figured out that the animals were in the midst of a tea party so he made some extras and brought crackers and juice for the party. That man received a three digit tip amount to himself. I made sure he didn't have to split it.

Three things in life that matter to me, my One True God, my wife, and my kids. Help me keep them all happy and I'll help make you happy.

$1.99 tip?

Maybe you have to like real animals to appreciate towel animals...? Or have to just find your inner child? All I know is I'm a grownup who loves getting a new animal each night.

Me too. I especially love the morning when they have them all over the main pool area. In the room, we save each one for the whole cruise.

There's nothing wrong with not liking the towel animals. There's nothing wrong with loving them, no matter your age. We're all different, and we enjoy different things. No need to feel any resentment towards people who enjoy something that you don't, or vice-versa. I don't like Mongolian food, but if you do, have at it and enjoy.

Edited by k2excursion

i made my steward a snake on my last day, coiled him up on the bed, ripped up pieces of the "fun times" to make eyes and a forked tongue. i was surprised how it turned out. wish i could share pictures here. I could go either way, but its something fun so whatever. If they stopped doing them in sure there would be anarchy on the ship though.

When we had kids (when they we young - under 5-6) it was great to see their eyes light up and the stewards loved to make them happy. That was many cruises ago and many years ago. One towel animal is more than enough for the whole cruise for us, or none. BUT I do get families loving them... keep doing them for families with wee ones, you can leave them out for us.

Hi :)

I never destroy any of our towel animals during a sailing.

My wife & I are in our early 50's and we love them!!

:)

PicsArt_1441363612579_zpsbhvzpy8u.jpg

couch_zps970da6e0.jpg

tachoc_zps0776b1aa.jpg

During one of our B2B voyages, our special crew friends allowed me to put on the elephant towel animal outfit. Hahaha! It was a lil' hot in there.... Good times!! Terrific memories!!

towelerlephant_zps546d0013.jpg

Cute for a second then tear them apart. Sorry I never saw the big appeal.

You must be unaware of the origins. It used to be included in evening turn down service, where they would seek find and lay out your night clothes. Some stewards got creative, and started doing all kinds of cutsie things with them, or even further using other things in the cabin.

Apparently when the common folk started cruising, this butler type service startled some, as they were not used to having a butler. (Years ago, people actually bought their butlers with them on their cruise ...... Cruising truly was a class privilege). So suddenly, the night clothes stayed stowed, and the creations were done on towels. This just completely diminished the feel of service, and turned it into a joke. Yet thrilled the new class of cruiser.

For the new cruiser, and for all children, the towel animal is a beloved friend. A novelty and something you don't see anywhere else (usually).

I still like to see the towel animal in my cabin when I return after dinner, and if the steward is particularly creative, even better. Have gotten a few laughs out of some of the creations.

I love the alligator in one of the above photos!! That's a good one!

PortSide Cruzan - great collections!

I don't care one way or the other about towel animals. Some are really cute and creative, but if I was sailing alone, I'd ask stateroom attendant to save himself the trouble. My husband, however takes a picture of each and every one.

We took our granddaughter on a cruise and she loved the towel creatures.