How many times do you wear something?

Our next cruise is a 10 day and we will be driving to port adding 5 extra days to our trip.

I am trying not to pack my whole closet. I do love all of my clothes.

My plan is to take several pairs of capris in neutral colors and multiple tops.

How many days can I wear those capris before I will need to wash. I don't mind sending things to the laundry on board. But if I don't get anything on my clothes I don't want to send them out. I do change for dinner so what I wear in the daytime is not what I wear in the evening.

Just curious as to what others do. We don't spend a lot of time at the pool so I won't be wearing a swim suit all day.

Thank you for any comments.

I typically wear pants twice before laundering, depending on how long I've had them on. If you only wore your pants for a couple of hours, I could see "maybe" three days, but I wouldn't go longer than that. I would think 3-4 pairs of capris, plus one to travel in should be sufficient.

I'll be the exception...

I wear mine until they smell too much to wear again...will depend on how I wear them and for what activity.

Generally, I separate out my clothing into what I expect to wear during the day and what I expect to wear at night. The night time clothes last for more wearings because I don't wear them as long or for as vigorous an activity. However, I am also less picky about my day time clothes as I generally wear exercise clothing or other activity specific clothing during the day. BUT...I have also found that if you air out your clothing and generally give them a good brush down...they can be somewhat revived by hanging out in the bathroom during shower time, etc.

It depends on how dirty things get. Some things never get washed, other things get Febreezed where needed. When they get too bad it's to either the ship's laundry or the laundry room.

Can bring a bottle of Febreeze or make your own. It's basically diluted fabric softener. Lots of recipes on the Internet.

Thanks, all for your perspective.

I planned on 4 pairs, white, tan, gray, black and denim for travel.

It is for all of the reasons you guys stated that I was concerned about the number of wearings. It will be hot in the caribbean so the number of wearings is down from when I have sailed in cooler weather.

I like the idea of febreeze and think I will look for a travel size.

Again, I appreciate your responses.

I don't know how you all wear something multiple times, without them feeling saggy and rumpled.... Especially, in warmer weather...with the exceptions of a couple sundresses, most of my shorts or capris or slacks feel AWFUL if I try to rewear them!

I would simply try and book a ship with self laundry....and failing that, I'd bite the bullet and send things out to be laundered!

I routinely wear pants several times between washings and they don't "feel awful" or "saggy and rumpled". I check them carefully before I put them back in the closet.

Although I love white in the summer, it definitely gets dirty more easily.

No white on trips!

Tan, black, gray and denim sounds good although I don't take denim. I prefer a blue that is not denim. Whether and how often I rewear depends on the material. Right now, I own two pairs of LLBean tropical hiking capris that shed dirt and dry fast, deep pockets, too. Perfect for trips. I have also worn a pair of washable blue linen pants from the same company several times. Delicate stuff does not make it into my suitcase.

I don't know how you all wear something multiple times, without them feeling saggy and rumpled.... Especially, in warmer weather...with the exceptions of a couple sundresses, most of my shorts or capris or slacks feel AWFUL if I try to rewear them!

I would simply try and book a ship with self laundry....and failing that, I'd bite the bullet and send things out to be laundered!

You must have had a total disconnect with the old Levi commercial that touted "Even better the second day." LOL.

Fabrics wear differently depending on weave style, fiber content, original fit, garment construction, etc. If you take the time to study garment care, you find that there are many ways to refresh your garments without resorting to the laundry. With the exception of young children, for most adults, washing your clothing is the harshest treatment garments endure...if you can limit the act of what most of us think of as "laundry"...and have a full repertoire of garment care including and combining brushing, reshaping, airing, etc. and techniques for storage that are garment appropriate...then you can greatly increase the longevity of your clothing while decreasing your laundry burden.

Appropriate undergarments also help to make wearing garments multiple times more likely.

I don't rewear undergarments.

How many days can I wear those capris before I will need to wash.

Just curious as to what others do. We don't spend a lot of time at the pool so I won't be wearing a swim suit all day.

How many days you can wear the capris will depend entirely on 1) whether they get visibly dirty or you spill something on them, 2) whether you will be sweating heavily or not and/or how long you'll be wearing it. Some people get all grossed out about wearing anything twice, but if it isn't visibly dirty and you didn't sweat in it, I see no problem with wearing it again.

We have an upcoming 7 day Med cruise plus a couple of days pre-cruise in Istanbul. I expect it to be fairly hot, and we'll be ashore for extended periods of time and doing a lot of walking and probably getting sweaty. I have no desire to take a ton of luggage though, so I plan to re-wear things and rinse as needed.

For daytime, I plan to take one pair of cropped palazzo pants (particularly for days knees need to be covered for mosques/cathedrals) and 2 skorts. Due to the weather and our extensive walking/sightseeing, I'm doubtful about getting more than one day out of them at a time. But, the pants are a lightweight jersey knit material that I will be able to quickly rinse in the sink and hang to dry. Likewise, I plan to turn the skorts inside out and rinse the shorts part of the skorts and hang to dry as well. I'm taking 6 or 7 lightweight tops that pretty much can be worn with any of the bottoms. They are likewise easily rinsed and hung to dry, but because I'm bringing more tops, I will probably be able to wait and just rinse 4 or 5 of them once, and all at the same time.

For evenings onboard, I'm bringing 2 pair of pants with 4 tops, and 2 maxi dresses. Since it will not be hot inside the ship at night, I won't be sweating, and I won't be wearing these items for 8-10 hours at a time, I anticipate being able to re-wear the pants and dresses 2-3 times each and the tops twice each. If I spill stuff on too many items at dinner, I'll send them to be laundered.

Thanks, all for your perspective.

I like the idea of febreeze and think I will look for a travel size.

Again, I appreciate your responses.

If you can't find a travel size, fill up a travel bottle.

I only wear tops once, so I bring enough dressy tops and casual ones for the cruise. The casual things get sent to the laundry, mid cruise. Anythng that I do not want to send out, I take home, or wash in the cabin sink. By rolling clothing in towels, squeezes out excess moisture, hang to dry on clothesline in cabin shower.

I only wear tops and undies once. Sometimes I can wear a bra more than once, especially if I wear it in the evening and then the next day for daytime wear.

I think rinsing, not sending out my be the best solution. Will have to work on that one.

Ladies, as always good information and suggestions.

Thank you so much.

for me, tops or dresses, once, skirts or leggings or jeans, at least 3 or 4 times, sometimes more. (we do cool to cold weather cruises) I do pack very light, & send out laundry at least every day or every other day.

Edited by cruise kitty

My MO is that I usually wear a pair of Capri pant and a lightweight tunic top for casual nights in the MDR (my tunics have crystal beading or wood beading accents and are not just plain ones) and then wear the top again as a swimsuit cover-up for the beach or pool the next day. I'll wear the Capri pants on another night with a different top. So basically, I'll wear my evening tops twice and my Capri pants twice (unless I spill something on them in which case they won't be worn again because I refuse to do laundry on my vacation). If I wear a top out for the day...I won't wear it again at night. Basically...I'll wear tops that I wear for the first time at night the next day but I won't wear a top I've worn for the first time during the day again at all. That's how I roll.;)

Edited by mousey

I only wear tops once, so I bring enough dressy tops and casual ones for the cruise. The casual things get sent to the laundry, mid cruise. Anythng that I do not want to send out, I take home, or wash in the cabin sink. By rolling clothing in towels, squeezes out excess moisture, hang to dry on clothesline in cabin shower.

Barb: This confused me a little. You only wear tops once and you said you pack enough for the trip. But, you also said you send out laundry and do in-cabin washing. So, I'm confused - do you bring 7 dressy and 7 casual tops for a 7-night cruise? Or do you mean you bring less tops but wash after each wearing?

I make out a clothing chart. I wear one outfit (capri) to dinner, minimal wear and then plan to wear it later in the week to port with a different top. Anything I wear into port probably won't be worn again since I'll sweated, etc.

Everything I pack for a cruise I plan on wearing twice. Pants/shorts a little more. Day and shore excursion shirts I hand wash daily. If any clothing gets soiled I will either handwash or have the ship clean them.

Shak

I'll generally plan on wearing everything at least twice, then, if room permits, maybe add an extra or alternate outfit. But it does depend on the itinerary and the planned activities. Hotter weather = generally smaller and lighter-weight clothing, so, while more will need to be packed to account for the sweat-factor, at the same time, each item takes less space.

I normally wear a lot of technical fabric, dry release clothing (outdoor lifestyle). I can get at least 2-3 wears out of capris, more if it's a beach heavy itinerary. I normally bring black, khaki capris & if they get something on them, or it's a real sweaty excursion, I'll wash them in the sink & hang them in the shower. The real beauty of dry release fabrics is that they dry almost instantly. I do tend to bring more tops (I spill [emoji6]). I do wear silk pants in the evening, black or gold & send them once to dry clean (if they need it). I'll usually wear evening tops more than once with different jewelry/scarves, unless I spill ;).