Currently on Sojourn, very large group on board

cruising kirby

Its not about should SB have large incentive group bookings or not.

What it is about is if the behaviour of such a group significantly changes the ambiance one might reasonably expect on a SB cruise, or if their behaviour has a significantly negative impact on one's ability to enjoy all the amenities and levels of service that one might normally expect, given Seabourn's advertising and marketing.

And if that it is the case, how does SB management respond to customer complaints, and what should we do as customers if our reasonable expectations are not met.

As we have seen SB have responded in a reassuring way as far as the legitimate grievances of some recent passengers are concerned, This gives me confidence that SB would also respond in a similar way should I or anyone else encounter the same kind of disruption on a future cruise.

It doesn't mean that there will not be other incentive groups. It does mean that, if my relatively expensive and very precious holiday experience is ruined by a bunch of oafs that SB has sold a package to and subsequently is unable to control, I will be treated with sensitivity and understanding by SB management.

I hope.

Edited by Flamin_June

Until then there is nothing wrong with asking lines "do you have any large groups booked on this cruise, if so what is their "affiliation", how many of them will there be and what do you believe will be their average age?".

That to me seems sensible and cost nothing.

:)

Playing devil's advocate ... but would it make good business sense for SB to share that information? Only those who consider a large group on their sailing as a "dealbreaker" would ask that question.

Unless the potential customer is flexible, he/she will select another cruise line or other alternative holiday/vacation arrangement and SB will have lost a $$$ booking. The potential customer might also get on a message board such as cruise critic and tell everyone to avoid cruise #XYZ as it might be overrun by boys behaving badly.

And, sharing passenger average age and affiliation is a very slippery slope as nolagirl previously mentioned. I would be very surprised if SB's sales staff have not been taught to dance around demographic questions from potential customers.

Playing devil's advocate ... but would it make good business sense for SB to share that information? Only those who consider a large group on their sailing as a "dealbreaker" would ask that question.

Unless the potential customer is flexible, he/she will select another cruise line or other alternative holiday/vacation arrangement and SB will have lost a $$$ booking. The potential customer might also get on a message board such as cruise critic and tell everyone to avoid cruise #XYZ as it might be overrun by boys behaving badly.

And, sharing passenger average age and affiliation is a very slippery slope as nolagirl previously mentioned. I would be very surprised if SB's sales staff have not been taught to dance around demographic questions from potential customers.

To be clear, if I were simply made aware that - for example - 170 computer salesman were booked on a cruise, I would choose not to join them. SB know that a great many others would do the same. There is no problem asking about group bookings and nothing wrong with being warned. Informed choice. That would be in SB's interest and my own. If they refuse to disclose this type of information when requested then there are potential repercussions for them.

I am still unaware of the nature of any slippery slopes except that of me being imprisoned on a cruise with 170 computer salesman on an expensive 6star cruise without pre warning that they got for free where they can "drink all they want all day and all night and wherever they chose". It does represent a prejudice on my part ... I agree ... but it is a perfectly reasonable and legitimate prejudice.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
spelling

This has been a problem on SeaDream for several years. So far, they have been forthcoming when I ask about groups and children. If they were not, I have made it plain I will not book. I also ask at final pay. Again, if they are not forthcoming, I have no problem cancelling. A problem is that SeaDream now has penalties for cancellation beginning at 120 days out. Lots can and does happen in 120 days prior to departure.

This has been a problem on SeaDream for several years. So far, they have been forthcoming when I ask about groups and children. If they were not, I have made it plain I will not book. I also ask at final pay. Again, if they are not forthcoming, I have no problem cancelling. A problem is that SeaDream now has penalties for cancellation beginning at 120 days out. Lots can and does happen in 120 days prior to departure.

I fully sympathise. As I understand it in the US you do not have consumer protection for this scenario. A very powerful business lobby.

The cancellation penalty clauses are effectively unenforceable in both Oz and the UK and some other places.

I fully sympathise. As I understand it in the US you do not have consumer protection for this scenario. A very powerful business lobby.

The cancellation penalty clauses are effectively unenforceable in both Oz and the UK and some other places.

That would be a big plus in this situation. "Consumer Protection" over here is increasingly spelled "Caveat Emptor".

To be clear, if I were simply made aware that - for example - 170 computer salesman were booked on a cruise, I would choose not to join them. SB know that a great many others would do the same. There is no problem asking about group bookings and nothing wrong with being warned. Informed choice. That would be in SB's interest and my own. If they refuse to disclose this type of information when requested then there are potential repercussions for them.

I am still unaware of the nature of any slippery slopes except that of me being imprisoned on a cruise with 170 computer salesman on an expensive 6star cruise without pre warning that they got for free where they can "drink all they want all day and all night and wherever they chose". It does represent a prejudice on my part ... I agree ... but it is a perfectly reasonable and legitimate prejudice.

Jeff

I still don't understand why you believe they got it for free? It is part of their compensation package and any company who can shell out Seabourn prices for as an incentive isn't just handing those out to sales floor computer guys at Best Buy. Companies that would hand out cruise packages of $10K per couple are normally handing these incentives to high level executives. I fail to see your correlation that everyone on a group incentive tour is drunk, unkempt, party animal and some sort of bottom feeder of life who is so unwashed that shouldn't be allowed to mix with you.

So we now know that cosmetics agents and computer salesman both are the unwashed masses and should be relegated to Carnival. What other professions may not gather in large groups while you are present?

So we now know that cosmetics agents and computer salesman both are the unwashed masses and should be relegated to Carnival. What other professions may not gather in large groups while you are present?

Very rude large insurance group for one, that ruined what should have been a very nice Med cruise on the Legend. And yes... it was "free"- to them. :mad:

Edited by Host Dan

Dan

I've been aboard a few times when passengers have won their

sailings ~ they didn't act like they were very comfortable on Seabourn.

Once, the Captain had to talk with a family of 4 as to the dress code. Again their cruise had been won in a raffle.

MB

And I wouldn't mind the company of 170 computer salesmen if they could teach me how to avoid the demons of Microsoft 8.1!

Presuming that these "winners" are at the top of their game, I think you'll find that just the one of them should be more than enough. Perhaps one spare whilst the first is getting drunk .....:D

Be careful... he might say management consultants and then a few Seabourn regulars will be in trouble.

I now think I want to see a House of Lies incentive cruise episode.

And I wouldn't mind the company of 170 computer salesmen if they could teach me how to avoid the demons of Microsoft 8.1!

Easy. Go Mac or Linux or FBSD. ;)

The best way to avoid the 8.1 demons is to stay with 7. Otherwise get out of that mess of code they call the metro interface.

If you don't mind metro too much you could always use:

Windows key D = desktop view

Windows key E = explore, will open windows explorer (shows drives/peripherals/etc...)

Not a bad idea. If your group is going to occupy X or more % of the vessel you need to either charter it on your own or join a few smaller groups. Of course that could lead to some interesting combinations.

My old university used to rent out its facilities for conferences during the summer. One time, we had both the Coal Miners union and a Midwives association. Needles to say, the place was hopping!

My old university used to rent out its facilities for conferences during the summer. One time, we had both the Coal Miners union and a Midwives association. Needles to say, the place was hopping!

It shouldn't have been. It is illegal to have tutti frutti with a minor.

:D

As you saw in my earlier post I have not and I can tell you now I would not.

Seabourn, as far as I know, is the best luxury cruise line. Period. And having sailed with them for 15 years, I can tell you that each return visit is as welcoming as it has ever been. Also, I have not met encountered a corporate incentive group (my sole experience was on Cunard's Caronia) nor do I expect on Seabourn another incident worthy of the opprobrium the August mess received.

Happy sailing!

As you saw in my earlier post I have not and I can tell you now I would not.

Seabourn, as far as I know, is the best luxury cruise line. Period. And having sailed with them for 15 years, I can tell you that each return visit is as welcoming as it has ever been. Also, I have not met encountered a corporate incentive group (my sole experience was on Cunard's Caronia) nor do I expect on Seabourn another incident worthy of the opprobrium the August mess received.

Happy sailing!

I agree,I have never seen a large group that takes over a ship on any Seabourn cruise.

The largest that I have seen is about fourteen people in a group and normally they are a family unit.