Passengers eaten on cruise

honeyman

I have just returned from a cruise on Oceania ship Riviera and wondered if anyone has had problems with 'bed bugs'.

From day 2 until disembarking the ship on day 7 I suffered bites to my arms, legs, feet, hands, back, chest and head. These only stopped once I left the ship and they are gradually getting better. Most of the bites seemed to run in lines of 5 or 6 bites.

My wife was bitten a few times but didn't seem to have any reaction other than a little itching.

My doctor gave me antihistamines and hydrocortisone on my return but was unable to tell my what had bitten me!!

Is this an isolated incident????

I have just returned from a cruise on Oceania ship Riviera and wondered if anyone has had problems with 'bed bugs'.

From day 2 until disembarking the ship on day 7 I suffered bites to my arms, legs, feet, hands, back, chest and head. These only stopped once I left the ship and they are gradually getting better. Most of the bites seemed to run in lines of 5 or 6 bites.

My wife was bitten a few times but didn't seem to have any reaction other than a little itching.

My doctor gave me antihistamines and hydrocortisone on my return but was unable to tell my what had bitten me!!

Is this an isolated incident????

WOW! This is awful and should never happen on any cruise line.

It's hard to believe other posters have made mountains out of molehills posting about dirty carpets and mold when there are bed bugs crawling the beds.

Wow !!! We have been on about 8 Oceania cruises on all of the ships and have never heard of this. Not one word, either on the ships or on cruise critic. If this had happend before I am sure that someone would have posted. Hope you told the staff right away. They always have been very responsive to problems and try to take care of them right away. :(:(

Wow !!! We have been on about 8 Oceania cruises on all of the ships and have never heard of this. Not one word, either on the ships or on cruise critic. If this had happend before I am sure that someone would have posted. Hope you told the staff right away. They always have been very responsive to problems and try to take care of them right away. :(:(

Let's not be " fear mangers" since there are no solid facts or proof of any of what was said.

Did you stay at a hotel prior to the cruise? Perhaps you picked them up from the hotel. I have never heard of bed bugs on Oceania. I hope that you did report this to the front desk so that IF this is the case they have taken care of it.

Where was the cruise to?

Did you go to the beach ..could be sand fleas ?

In any case I hope you asked housekeeping to check your cabin

Bed bugs do not usually stop when you leave the ship they usually go with you

If you had bed bugs you have a bigger problem they are probably in your suitcases & clothes & by now in the furnishings in your home

I am having a little trouble with the title of this thread, specificslly the word "eaten". First, I am glad you and your wife seem on the mend. Also, i acknowledge that nothing is impossible.

But the facts you present do not exclude a number of other possible causes of your condition. Prompt reporting of your issues to supervision while on Oceania may have provided some more light on the subject. We have been on quite a few Oceania sailings on different ships in several cabin categories and never encountered such problem.

Likewise, in a dozen cruises on O we've never encountered bed bugs -- or any other bugs, for that matter. Nor have we heard complaints from other passengers.

As Lyn said, perhaps the bugs came from elsewhere ... or even a former passenger in your cabin.

Mura

Where was the cruise to?

Did you go to the beach ..could be sand fleas ?

In any case I hope you asked housekeeping to check your cabin

Bed bugs do not usually stop when you leave the ship they usually go with you

If you had bed bugs you have a bigger problem they are probably in your suitcases & clothes & by now in the furnishings in your home

I am quite sensitive to no see ums (found near the beach), the rest of my family not so much. I have to use DEET to prevent the bites. They are very bothersome for days.

Why didn't you go to the medical office after a day or so of this or at least tell someone in housekeeping so that they could address the problem?

Certainly the next tenants of your cabin would have appreciated it.

I might be being unfair to you, but this whole thing sounds suspicious.

Man, NCL has been in charge one day and already people are being eaten alive. :rolleyes:

I'm with Jan. VERY funny!

I also agree that it's a bit too soon to blame NCL for people being eaten alive!

(Unless they start having cannibal services when sailing down the Amazon ...)

Mura

I hate calling someone a "troll" or a liar but there are too many strange things going on:

1) They were bitten (supposedly on day 2) but never informed housekeeping or the medical staff.

2) Bed bugs are small but they still can be seen (plus they leave traces on the sheets and/or mattress) - I would think the Housekeeping Staff is trained to look for anything along these lines.

3) Nobody has ever (to my knowledge) reported being bitten by bed bugs (and news would travel very fast if they had).

4) This individual (OP) has only written one post and never heard from again.

At this point I am taking it with a grain of salt.

Sorry to all the doubters, but I don't normally post anything as I don't usually have anything to discuss. The only reason I found this web site was whilst searching for information on bed bugs.

I didn't discuss this issue with housekeeping as I didn't know anything about bed bugs so was unaware it was a stateroom issue.

Having carried out some research once I returned home it would appear that bed bugs are the most likely cause.

A mediterranean cruise in November should not result in insect bites.

I have travelled extensively over the past 30 years on 30+ cruises and I have had many visits to Asia and Africa so I am quite used to taking precautions against insects.

Thread title totally misleading ....

Anyway, just off Riviera too and we saw absolutely no sign whatsoever of bed bugs or any other bugs, or any evidence of anyone taking care of any "problem". You would definitely know if they were bed bugs, you would see the evidence as said previously .... And most certainly the housekeeping staff would see the evidence!

Coming from the "land of the midge" like yourself, I'm sure you would know if they were midge bites, but if you were on the same cruise as us - MC to Barcelona, then it was quite mild and wet in some ports, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were biting beasties around! Actually to me it sounds like flea bites ... Those little beggars do bite in lines!

It's a shame you didn't tell the housekeeping team as if it turns out to be bed bugs then unfortunately you will unwittingly have left a legacy behind! Would it be now be a good idea to perhaps email Oceania and tell them and they can check your stateroom, just in case? (Might be a bit late now though) but if you haven't had any bites since you came home, I think (IMHO) these were not bed bugs as they would have travelled home with you!

BTW, some on here proclaim to know everything about Oceania and throw their "words up in horror" if anyone dares to write anything adverse or question anything of Oceania, and are so quick to accuse people of being "trolls", so just ignore them :rolleyes: and you were correct to post and ask the question. Everyone has to have a first post! :)

Hope you're itching days are soon over and inspite of this that you and your wife enjoyed your cruise as much as we did! :D

Honeyman -

If you stayed in a hotel somewhere in Europe prior to boarding it is entirely possible that the bugs came on board with you. Bed bugs are becoming an increasing problem in hotels over here - there have been articles in the local press etc about them even in Switzerland where we have a reputation for being "squeaky clean".

It is very very important that you tell Oceania about this - give your cabin number, date of cruise etc - and then they can take appropriate action if bed bugs are found in your cabin. You can see them with the naked eye. Cabin would need to be fumigated. So please, give them a chance to protect other people!