My turn! Advice on a Carnival cruise after a 5 year hiatus

Tapi

My cruise should be on the:  

157 members have voted

1. 1. My cruise should be on the:

• Breeze
    • Valor

Hello fellow Cruise Critic friends:

Well, after an almost 5 hear hiatus, and after bouncing around various cruise lines, I feel like it's time to sail on Carnival again! We've narrowed it down to 2 options. I'm always opening my mouth in this forum, giving my opinions, so I guess its time to shut up and listen to YOUR opinions! We are a family of 4; mom and dad, a 6yo son, and a 4yo daughter. We live in Georgia. Itineraries are identical.

Option 1:

Carnival Breeze from Miami

8P Cloud 9 Spa Balcony stateroom

$543pp

Why I'd like to do it:

• Hello? Its the Breeze!
  • Wife will be in heaven with the Cloud 9 Spa
  • Waterworks will be a huge hit with the kids

Why I don't want to do it:

• We will need to fly to Miami (adds an extra $800-$1000) to the vacation cost
  • We will need to get an additional hotel night (even more money)

Option 2:

Carnival Valor from Port Canaveral

PT stateroom with portholes

$360pp

Why I'd like to do it:

• It's CHEAP, which I've always considered a huge reason to sail on Carnival.
  • No need to fly. We can easily drive to Port Canaveral
  • Kids think portholes are way cooler than a balcony, haha!

Why I don't want to do it:

• It's not the Breeze
  • No Waterworks or Cloud 9 Spa (although the standard waterslide and the Serenity Area will be acceptable alternatives)

So basically it boils down to: Should we splurge and spend an additional $1,750 for a Breeze, Cloud 9 balcony experience OR should we save the money and do a more traditional Carnival experience on the Valor? Either way, I'm sure we'll have a blast. We'll be sailing on a ship we've never been on before to places we've never sailed to before.

I know that I could get a less expensive stateroom on the Breeze, but if I'm spending the extra money to fly to Miami to sail on the Breeze, might as well spend a bit more for the full experience!

I know that everybody is different and opinions will vary, but based on past experience, somone will say something that will click in my head and help with the decision! Thanks in advance for any input! :)

I think the ship is half the trip! I've never been on the Valor, but I would imagine that the Breeze would offer way more if you're into the spa and waterworks areas. Plus, I love all the different dining options that are offered on the dream class ships.

Although it's more money, you'll be extending your vacation for an extra day. We've sailed out of a port we can drive to for the last couple of years and there is something really fun about actually traveling to the departure port that I miss. It just feels like a bigger deal when we travel before, I guess.

On the flip side, I wouldn't splurge on the ship if it meant limiting my options for what I could do on port days or if I felt like it would put a damper on the experience.

Either way, you're going to have a wonderful time! Good luck and I can't wait to see what you decide. :D

never been or either ship but did the Dream. Really liked the Dream. cant see flying when it only 4 hours away, if you go the day before I am sure you can find a good price motel some where. Maybe 45 minutes away from the port

I voted for the Breeze, and I've sailed the Valor 7 times. My last Valor cruise on March 27 was one of my worst Carnival experiences. Late dining finished after 10:15 each evening with only 3 at an 8 top; maintenance issues in cabin including TV replacement and getting shower drain to function.

I would question the need to have a hotel room - why not fly in the morning of the cruise? I do that all the time from NY.

Edited by evandbob

Oh, the humanity of it all!;):)

OK, here is my two cents. Breeze it (ship wise) not even close. Interesting on the Cloud Spa room. Our expereince of it is that it is much quieter floor up there (from kids etc in the hallway. lso, I think if you like spa amenties, the thalassotherepy is fantastic.

I voted Breeze. After a 5 year hiatus, I would want to see the NEW offerings from Carnival! The Valor is definitely more "classic Carnival" (until it goes to dry dock). Guess it really depends on what you look for!

This is my vote and reasoning...if affordable enough...go for the full new Carnival...and perhaps take a day road trip and a couple of hotel nights..less than air...more easy pack...

If the Miami driving is not too rough...that one I do not know...

I voted Breeze! I think the kids and your wife will thank you. Why not drive to Miami? It's only another 3 hours or so. We're making the 965 mile drive as well because it's too expensive to fly. We are doing an overnight on each way though to break it up and we can't leave until late afternoon on a Thursday for a Saturday cruise. Being in GA you are already closer than we are!

It's 214 miles or an added 3.25 hour drive to Miami from Port Canaveral. I suggest the Breeze if you can avoid airfare and just drive.

Yes. The problem that we have is that my son literally finishes school the day before, so in order to drive and make it to Miami with time to spare, we'd need to drive through the night, making it to Miami very early in the morning, to then wait around to board the ship. Not a good way to start a vacation with a grouchy, sleep deprived family. That's why if we do the Breeze, we would fly. We'd catch a late afternoon flight on Friday and be at the hotel by 730pm, get a good night rest and then be rested and ready to go in the morning.

I know that an extra 3.5 hours doesn't sound like much, but with small children in tow and the mandatory food and bathroom breaks, it turns into an extra 5 hours for us. If we had extra days before the cruise, we would take the advice of driving a few days early and breaking up the drive. But with my son's school schedule, it won't happen this time. [emoji51]

Edited by Tapi

I voted for the Breeze, and I've sailed the Valor 7 times. My last Valor cruise on March 27 was one of my worst Carnival experiences. Late dining finished after 10:15 each evening with only 3 at an 8 top; maintenance issues in cabin including TV replacement and getting shower drain to function.

I would question the need to have a hotel room - why not fly in the morning of the cruise? I do that all the time from NY.

OT--why is #24 in your signature blank? B to B?

I drove last year to Miami from Atlanta with an 8, 5, and 4 year old. It was about 3 hours longer than the drive to Port Canaveral, but it went relatively smoothly. One possibility we considered was to drive to Orlando, spend the night, and then drive to Miami on the morning of the cruise. We were on the Conquest last year, and we didn't mind the drive so much that we booked the Breeze for this year.

Some differences that I can see (especially with kids):

1) After 5 straight cruises with either Waterworks or AquaDuck, my boys were underwhelmed by the slide on the Conquest class. They thought it was very slow compared to the Twister on Waterworks ships. The Breeze, with 2 nice slides and a dump bucket, will provide them (and me) with hours of entertainment.

2) My wife did not like the fact that there was no room for shade on the Lido deck pool area with the kids on Conquest class - (All of the shade is in the Adults only section in the aft pool area). I love the Dream class aft pool area with the umbrellas and no restrictions for kids.

3) The Valor does not have the 2.0 upgrades yet (I think it is getting them in March of next year). I really enjoyed Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana Cantina, and am ecstatic that the Breeze also has them. One point deduction for no Fish'n'Chips on the Breeze, although Cucina makes up for it slightly.

4) My boys thought the best kids area was on the Dream class (outside of Disney, which is beyond amazing).

5) Ropes course - another plus for the Breeze. My 8 year old loves them, and can't wait to try.

6) The Breeze also has all the added little touches, like Thrill theater, C-Side BBQ, and SeaDogs that I know my kids will love.

7) For adults, I am also really looking forward to the Red Frog Pub.

I also splurged a little and went with Lido Deck balconies (we usually go with connecting Oceanview on Riviera).

Hi Tapi, my vote is the Breeze. When my husband and I sailed on 2013, we purchased the spa passes for the week. The T-pool is wonderful as are the heated loungers, I think my husband went there everyday.

I have two children ages 10 and 5, who have only cruised once on Disney(which they loved by the way). I plan on taking them on Breeze which I think aside from the missing the character visits- they will love just the same.

Either way you go- it will be fine because you are with your family/spending time together and that is what is really important. :)

Breeze all the way. doing that exact spa cabin from Miami this Saturday with the little ones. will definately let you know how it was.

I agree with JCearth, why not break the drive up? Drive part way Friday and get a hotel and then come on the rest of the way that AM.

I haven't been on the Breeze (yet), just a couple more weeks to go! But I have sailed the Valor, in addition to many other Carnival ships. And based on all the pictures and reviews I've read on the Breeze, I'm certain it will rate up at the top of my list of favorite ships.

The main point I wanted to make was that on the list of ships I've been on, Valor is one of my least favorites. :( I know, I know - lots of people love that ship. But I just don't find anything charming about it.

I understand what a bummer it is to fly vs. drive. But I think between Waterworks for your kids and Cloud 9 for your wife - it sounds like you already know what you need to do. ;)

But whatever you decide - any ship is better than being at work, so it's all good!!!!!!!!!

It will be 3 years between cruises for us when we go on the Valor in Aug 2016. I selected Breeze though as I would have preferred that ship but we wanted specific ports of call, wanted to go out of PC and had only 1 week we were looking at going.

Edited by laumicmah

I'd pick the Breeze even though I've not been on either ship--yet. You could easily drive to Miami if you can drive to Orlando, it's only another 3 3 1/2 hours on one road. You got great prices for a balcony on the Breeze, don't pass it up.

We are spending Tapi's money by a landslide...lol...but I think we are right . Tapi can have fun on anything and knows the ropes about expectations form all his helpful posts...but with choices and history you ave Tapi it is Breeze by a landslide unless saving for another near term trip or other financial desires...IMHO...

Edited by sjn911

My question would be about your son's last day of school. At the age of 6 it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to miss the last day of school, giving you extra time to drive to Miami or stopping somewhere along the way and continuing the next day to the ship. As I recall (and it's been a while) there isn't much going on during that time. Since I don't know what happens in your son's school district that's a decision you need to make. Personally I would do the Breeze. I've done both ships and the Breeze has more to offer hands down.

I wil be the odd man out and say the Valor....kids are still small and they will be happy with water works on an older ship....I really would rather sail out of Port Canaveral than Miami...and although I think the Breeze looks fantastic its a lot more money....and you would have to fly:mad:

Take the Valor...and plan another vacay with the money you saved! Not sure how your wife will feel with no spa cabin though:)

We have sailed the Dream as our newest Carnival ship and although I liked the ship it was no better than some other Carnival ships we've sailed.

We have one more Carnival ship booked...and think we will take a break unless I book a special longer sailing. Just hate we have so much invested in Carnival...upcoming cruise will be #26.