Has a movie had an effect on your travel

dolittle

Mine was as a very young kid seeing ''Endless Summer'' a documentary about two surfers who ''follow the sun'' . They travel the world looking for the perfect wave . My friends and I came out of the theater blown away and swore when we got out of high school we would take the same trip. Though I never surfed (not many big waves in New Jersey) or went around the world with my friends this movie never got out of my head . I saw it a year or so ago on the Axis channel and it was as I remember a little corny a little cheap and a whole lot of awesome .I have been lucky to go to many places I never dreamed I would. Have any of you been inspired to travel by a movie or documentary.

I would say that Youtube is the reason I first started cruising.

I had been looking at a lot of cruise clips and documentaries on Youtube and the summer 2011 I got my vaccation in June instead of August and ended up having noone of my friends having their vaccation at the same time. Booked a cruise from Barcelona on NCL Epic. I booked on a wednesday and left Sweden the following friday.

Edited by Extra Kim

I fell in love with the sea when I was quite young and my grandfather always took us out on small fishing boats.

When I married, my DH had never been on any type of boat. We traveled to Europe, etc., via plane, buses, cars and trains. I got sick living out of a suitcase for 3 weeks at a time. And the itch to get on the water was growing. So back in the 80's I booked us on a back-to-back cruise. 12 ports in 14 days -- unpacked 1 time -- saw lots of new places.

He was sold on cruising.

I come from a working class family. My father was an electrician. There was not a lot of culture and diversity in our family. Very few vacations.

Then I found Pippy Longstocking!

I fell in love with the architectural style of the houses and buildings. The accents and manner of speech.

I wanted to travel to where Pippy lived lol!

If we're not for that show I am not sure at what age I would have embraced the differences of people outside of my little world!

Go Pippy!

Seeing pics of kangaroos and koalas in grade school - always wanted to see Australia but never thought I would be able to.

Then we started cruising (Alaska first) and I found info on cruises in Australia. So a few years ago I finally got to see my kangaroos and koalas - and lots of other great stuff. Circumnavigated Australia with 3 ports in NZ - 34 incredible days.

And, of course, we watched the Love Boat too. :D

Remember "Under the Tuscan Sun"? The following summer we piggybacked renting a villa in Tuscany for a week with a trip to Italy. It was far less expensive than we had thought and it was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!

A movie caused a ship to be built.

It was generally believed that once the venerable QE2 finished her sailing days that would be the end of scheduled transatlantic ocean liner service. Then the 1997 Titanic was released and bookings on QE2 shot up. Carnival/Cunard was forced to consider a replacement. And that, according to her designer, resulted in QM2 being built.

QE2 has been retired since 2008, and QM2 continues to cross the Atlantic.

Not a movie but a TV show. Watching Rick Steve's on PBS on Sunday was a ritual - we finally took our first of many European trips in 1997.

Our first cruise in 1995 was when I saw a tiny ad in the newspaper showing cruise prices and said WOW - that's pretty cheap - not nearly as expensive as I thought cruising would be - so my DH and 2 DS went on the Carnival Tropicale - such fun it was!

I come from a working class family. My father was an electrician. There was not a lot of culture and diversity in our family. Very few vacations.

Then I found Pippy Longstocking!

I fell in love with the architectural style of the houses and buildings. The accents and manner of speech.

I wanted to travel to where Pippy lived lol!

If we're not for that show I am not sure at what age I would have embraced the differences of people outside of my little world!

Go Pippy!

Her Swedish name is Pippi, but her whole name is:

Pippilotta Viktualia Rullgardina Krusmynta Efraimsdotter Långstrump :-)

Thank you! I knew that. I just googled her and the actress that portrayed Pippi is still alive and is a year younger than I am. She was born in 1957.

All names are made up by Astrid Lindgren and they mean nothing :D

Maybe 'Lawrence of Arabia'? (Though I think it was Peter O'Toole I fell in love with at a very early age, not Arabia....)

My imagination was always fired more by reading than by watching movies or TV. I remember my parents subscribed to those kind of cheesy "Time-Life" series of 'Great Civilizations' and I used to page through them and read when I was very young. For as long as I can remember I wanted to visit places like Egypt, Pompeii, Athens -- to see the remains of these 'Great Civilizations.' I never quite forgave my parents for going to Egypt when I was 11 and leaving me at home!

I am fortunate to have gotten to many of these places (including Palmyra -- see my signature) but I am endlessly inspired, as a solo woman traveler, by reading books by and about intrepid women travelers like Freya Stark and Gertrude Bell.

When I was going through a rough spot in my life, I really got into Colleen McCullough's series on ancient Rome, which finally fixed my interests firmly on the Roman empire.

(And speaking of 'Under the Tuscan Sun', it was the book, not the lacklustre movie, that helped me get through another rough spot and realize it was possible to reinvent a new, meaningful life for myself -- one that included travel.)

Edited by cruisemom42

All names are made up by Astrid Lindgren and they mean nothing :D

Not in my world! Ha ha.

Long story but there is an 86 woman at my community garden and she has pigtails and a zest for life like Pippi. The woman is very strong.

Her nick name is Pippi.

When I was very young I watched A Night to Remember, a 1958 movie about the Titanic. It had such a terrifyingly profound impact on me that I wouldn't even ride the boat rides at Disneyland (even though I could see the underwater tracks). Obviously, I got over this fear because cruising is my favorite form of travel now.

The moral of this story is to not ever assume a child won't be traumatized by a movie. Be sure your child is old enough to handle it.

Has a movie had an effect on your travel

Indirectly. Alfred Hitchcock's "North By Northwest" is one of my all time favorite movies. Every time I see it, I think about taking a trip to South Dakota to visit Mt. Rushmore. I haven't been there yet, but it's on my bucket list.