Would you drive 9-10 hours after a cruise?

sierra77

Our 1st cruise we drove back to Minnesota from Port Canaveral. We were a family of 5, 2 parents with a 16, 13 and 10 yr. old. We drove an RV from Minneapolis to Atlanta to visit family for a few days. Then drove a whole day to Port Canaveral where we park the vehicle in secure parking area. Took a 4 day cruise and immediately set out for home after. I believe it was about 22 or 23hours of driving. DH and I took turns with the drive. I would think a 9-10 hr drive is doable.:)

Edited by RumpunchGirl

we are doing the drive from Ft. Lauderdale to South Carolina in October. I hate the drive back, it seems so much longer than the drive down. Just take breaks and talk about what a fantastic time you had on the ship.

Works for me. Have done FLL to Atlanta twice I think. Longer trip was Tampa to Huntsville, Alabama. Hard part about Atlanta traffic is congestion on south side

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Honestly it's not much different then our flight home afterwards. 51/2 hours in the air plus two sitting at the airport. If I could drive it in that time I would.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Honestly it's not much different then our flight home afterwards. 51/2 hours in the air plus two sitting at the airport. If I could drive it in that time I would.

I might be fortunate, but I can sleep on the airplane.

Being a "northerner" I would consider yourself very lucky to have the option to drive to any port. You can actually save time and huge amounts of money not having to be on the airlines schedule, hotels, baggage, weighing bags.... Pack and load up as much as you want, bring home as much as you want. No hauling luggage around, no taxi. We love driving 10 hr to NY.... Happy sailing

Hi sierra77!!!

My Husband and I live in Alabama and we always drive down to FLL and back for our cruises. It is about a 12-13 hour drive for us, but it really isn't that bad if you stop and stretch, etc. Last year we disembarked carrying our own luggage at 5:30. We were in our car and on the road by 6. It really isn't that bad. Plus it beats the outrageous airfare!

Ashley

Thanks for the information. We've always flown before but Wife and I tentatively decided to drive from North Alabama to FLL for our next cruise.

We're from Tenn and we go thru Atlanta on the way to Fll, it can be done, but for us we are always way too tired so we stay in a hotel on the way back, Trying to get luggage out the night before w/ all my kids (4) and husband and trying to do the shows, enjoy last night, we are just tired:( But it can be done.

we have been driving to the Port of Baltimore for several years now. we have a 6 hour drive (not too bad) and actually like it better than flying.

we can actually get home by 3:00 - 4:00 in the afternoon, (with a break or two), unpack, do all the laundry, and then just rest.

when you add up the hours getting to the airport, sitting around the airport, flying, maybe a lay over, collecting your luggage, driving back from the airport home, it adds up to a lot more than the 6 hour drive we have. also the convenience, stopping when you want, having your own car....etc...you get the picture....

besides...the money saved from driving pays for a another cruise for us.... yay!!! ....would rather be cruising then sitting around a airport any day!

Every year twice a year we will drive from Toronto, Canada down to Port Canaveral, Tampa or FLL. Between 22 and 26 hours just stopping for gas and food. Off the ship at 10 and on the road for the trip home. We alternate driving and I guess because we've been doing if for the past 10 years we are used to it.

One thing that we quickly found out was to not stop for a big sit down meal but to stop more often for lighter snacks.

Gas and food down and back for the 4 of us runs between $500 and $600. Airfare would run close to $3000 for the 4 of us. The savings allow us to cruise twice a year instead of once.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We drive 18-20 hours to Fort Lauderdale/Miami from Ohio every cruise and land vacations too. We leave early and drive 12 hours the first day and finish up the rest the next. Like others have said it's not bad if you take breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you sure it is only a 9-10 hr drive. We live in Peachtree City, and driving to Port Canaveral takes us anywhere from 8.5 hrs-10 hrs depending on the traffic and we only stop for pit stops. I believe FLL is about 3 hours further. I would think a 12 hr car ride after a cruise is pushing it. Can you stop overnight somewhere along the way home?

Ellen:)