Chaos of the Seas--Wesbound TA

This review is of the post-drydock Oasis of the Seas westbound TA (October 15-27,2015). Since we were on the Eastbound pre-drydock TA in September, we can accurately compare the two ships and voyages pre and post dry dock. The overriding factor in the Westbound TA of the Oasis of the Seas has been congestion, overcrowding, and SRO. We have never been on a cruise where the masses tend to dominate. Lounges and Bars were alway occupied and overcrowded; Trivia and lectures were SRO with some participants coming 1-1/2 hours early to secure seats. Breakfast venues had 15-20 minute waits or 100 person lines for seating or no seats available(buffet). This has lead to rude passenger behavior and even fisticuffs (never have been on a cruise with so many rude, inconsiderate and irate passengers—could this be cause and effect?). Naturally, many in our party have vowed never to return to this ship due to the masses that abound everywhere (even the theatre is SRO with several lines of people; in Dazzles the progressive trivia left many teams in the aisles and staircases).

The reason for this is quite obvious: during dry dock the Oasis added 40 cabins (up to 100 more people) while eliminating much public space: when you have more people and less public space, these problems tend to occur. They did so without adding any additional staff so more people with less staff means less quality and poorer customer service, which we also noted as major differences from the previous TA on the same ship (The spark and excitement is missing in a lot of the staff eyes. You can see they are just running through the motions to make a living). It appears very obvious that RCI intends to milk the ship for all the revenue it can get without any regards for the convenience or quality of the passengers. The promenade, once a beautiful football long area to sit, talk and relax, people watch or just stroll aimlessly has been reduced to offering hourly K-mart blue light specials on cheap merchandise with ear splitting announcements about the newest bargains from the name brand retail shops. More emphasis is on selling then allowing the passenger to relax. The ship may be able to accommodate 5500 passengers but the public venues do not have the carrying capacity to do likewise.

This review is of the post-drydock Oasis of the Seas westbound TA (October 15-27,2015). Since we were on the Eastbound pre-drydock TA in September, we can accurately compare the two ships and voyages pre and post dry dock. The overriding factor in the Westbound TA of the Oasis of the Seas has been congestion, overcrowding, and SRO. We have never been on a cruise where the masses tend to dominate. Lounges and Bars were alway occupied and overcrowded; Trivia and lectures were SRO with some participants coming 1-1/2 hours early to secure seats. Breakfast venues had 15-20 minute waits or 100 person lines for seating or no seats available(buffet). This has lead to rude passenger behavior and even fisticuffs (never have been on a cruise with so many rude, inconsiderate and irate passengers—could this be cause and effect?). Naturally, many in our party have vowed never to return to this ship due to the masses that abound everywhere (even the theatre is SRO with several lines of people; in Dazzles the progressive trivia left many teams in the aisles and staircases).

The reason for this is quite obvious: during dry dock the Oasis added 40 cabins (up to 100 more people) while eliminating much public space: when you have more people and less public space, these problems tend to occur. They did so without adding any additional staff so more people with less staff means less quality and poorer customer service, which we also noted as major differences from the previous TA on the same ship (The spark and excitement is missing in a lot of the staff eyes. You can see they are just running through the motions to make a living). It appears very obvious that RCI intends to milk the ship for all the revenue it can get without any regards for the convenience or quality of the passengers. The promenade, once a beautiful football long area to sit, talk and relax, people watch or just stroll aimlessly has been reduced to offering hourly K-mart blue light specials on cheap merchandise with ear splitting announcements about the newest bargains from the name brand retail shops. More emphasis is on selling then allowing the passenger to relax. The ship may be able to accommodate 5500 passengers but the public venues do not have the carrying capacity to do likewise.

Can you please comment on the weather on each crossing and advise whether any differences may have been a contributing factor?

Thanks

megacruiser

We were on the Westbound crossing and had a wonderful time. Noticed very little of what you are commenting on, especially with regards to dining, breakfast, Windjammer, etc. Ate lunch in Windjammer most days, had zero problems finding a seat upon arrival either before or after getting a plate of food, Walked right in to breakfast on dining room, etc.

The indoor lounges were crowded most days which I am sure was due to our lousy weather for most of the crossing, however we never failed to find a spot along the Promenadell to play cards or enjoy some time with friends. Evenings we were able to go stand by in most all the shows (did not go to Cats, will save that for next sailing)....we have sailed Oasis four other times and didn't really notice any difference in lack of public space. Sure, Viking Crown is gone, but any time we had visited it in past cruises, it was virtually empty. We noticed little to no difference in overall amounts of people around (except for that due to weather sending everyone indoors), especially as our sailing was not full (approx 5,000 passengers rather than the usual 95% plus during a typical week in the Caribbean.)

Oasis is not built to accommodate all of its passengers indoors for ten to twelve days. It is built to accommodate 7nights with lots of warmth and sun - and that was the one thing missing.

There were lots of quite rude passengers onboard but we did not let that affect our enjoyment. Overall we had a great cruise, made some wonderful new friends and enjoyed most every minute of it. Well be back on her in the spring, no question.

We were on the Westbound crossing and had a wonderful time. Noticed very little of what you are commenting on, especially with regards to dining, breakfast, Windjammer, etc. Ate lunch in Windjammer most days, had zero problems finding a seat upon arrival either before or after getting a plate of food, Walked right in to breakfast on dining room, etc.

The indoor lounges were crowded most days which I am sure was due to our lousy weather for most of the crossing, however we never failed to find a spot along the Promenadell to play cards or enjoy some time with friends. Evenings we were able to go stand by in most all the shows (did not go to Cats, will save that for next sailing)....we have sailed Oasis four other times and didn't really notice any difference in lack of public space. Sure, Viking Crown is gone, but any time we had visited it in past cruises, it was virtually empty. We noticed little to no difference in overall amounts of people around (except for that due to weather sending everyone indoors), especially as our sailing was not full (approx 5,000 passengers rather than the usual 95% plus during a typical week in the Caribbean.)

Oasis is not built to accommodate all of its passengers indoors for ten to twelve days. It is built to accommodate 7nights with lots of warmth and sun - and that was the one thing missing.

There were lots of quite rude passengers onboard but we did not let that affect our enjoyment. Overall we had a great cruise, made some wonderful new friends and enjoyed most every minute of it. Well be back on her in the spring, no question.

Not sure exactly what cruise you were on, but we would agree with the original poster. We have sailed on lots of different cruise lines from Carnival to Crystal. I don't believe we have ever found a cruise line that cares less about its passengers. There are some wonderful things about the Oasis, but only when things are going perfectly. When they are not, RCI personnel are no where to be found. They are more interested in selling to the passengers than helping them out.

I have to think that so many days at sea with the people in your face all the time has to take a toll on the crew. In the Caribbean, people get off the ship frequently and things seem to slow down a bit during particular times of the day. Everyone gets a break..passengers, crew etc.

I know its their job and you spent good $ on a vacation, but human nature can only take so much no matter what service business you might be in.

Not an excuse, but just a thought.

Copying my answer from the roll call thread:

"The reason for this is quite obvious: during dry dock the Oasis added 40 cabins (up to 100 more people) while eliminating much public space"

No, that couldn´t have been the reason. First the cabins aren´t either ready yet or haven´t been sold for this cruise yet. None of the cabins really eliminated any public space (Diamond Club is now on deck 4 and larger; secret balconies have never been a major addition to the public space, all other areas have been cabins or crew area before).

Actually the Windjammer had been enlarged by moving Izumi down to deck 4.

Public space which has been eliminated: Viking Crown Lounge.

I don´t regard the CL as being eliminated (or as public space) as it has been replaced sort of by the Suite Lounge and was accessible only for a limited number of guests anyway.

I think the main difference between the two TAs was the weather (which was gorgeous on the eastbound TA). More people have spent much of the time on the decks on the eastbound. The Oasis is no bad weather ship.

steamboats

Can you please comment on the weather on each crossing and advise whether any differences may have been a contributing factor?

Thanks

megacruiser

Good question. I would also be interested if it improved as you moved into warmer climate.

The oasis, for all intents and purposes was designed for warm climates, hence the varying pool decks open air central section interior balconies etc. It was intended for people to be outside.

On a cooler sailing with probably far fewer families on board than normal (remember they are probably used to having a substantial number of kids on board that again would not be hanging out in these venues typically), the whole demographics are thrown for this type of sailing.

I am sure sailing full capacity on a regular route is properly a more accurate reflection of the norm.

I would be interested to hear from someone that has sailed both regular and the westbound TA to hear their views.

There are ships I have sailed on that whenever the weather has turned had felt like the smallest place in the world, however with nice weather you would not know they were full.

Edited by Spurschick

It is built to accommodate 7nights with lots of warmth and sun - .

We haven't been on Oasis, but I have to question this? It's clear from previous reviews that the ship is built "inward" with few outside views unless one goes outdoors to really look for them. It's a ship that is "for the ship".......which many people love.

For OP, what is SRO? not familiar with that.

We haven't been on Oasis, but I have to question this? It's clear from previous reviews that the ship is built "inward" with few outside views unless one goes outdoors to really look for them. It's a ship that is "for the ship".......which many people love.

Standing room only

We do NOT understand why cruise lines are doing away with the public spaces where you can enjoy the views of the ocean!!!

We took a cruise to Alaska on the Coral Princess. To us, it was a VERY poor design. Almost no views of the scenery unless you stood outside or were on your balcony!!! We had to cover up with blankets to enjoy the scenery!!! We would NEVER book another cruise on that class of ship again for that very reason.

Now RCCL is slowly doing away with the very thing we have loved most about their ships...the Viking Crown Lounge with it's magnificent views of the scenery and ocean!!! We are VERY disappointed with the direction RCCL and X are going.

Don't they realize that the reason most people go on cruises is to enjoy the ocean views from a comfortable place where you aren't freezing or in the blazing sun!!!??? If we want to buy nicky nack junk we can go to Wal Mart!!!!!! We LOVE the water.

It seems that the large cruise lines are trying to turn the attention of cruisers inward in a move to try to sell more stuff. Usually junk. We don't like it AT ALL!!!

Here is what I noticed concerning the weather and sea conditions.

From Southampton to Vigo it was cool (50-55) an the seas were very choppy with some big swells. Vigo was warm and sunny but the next two days of out Vigo were still cool (50-60), cloudy and the seas were moderate. The captain chose to go north of the Azores to avoid a big storm and he made the right decision. It was cooler than we had hoped but the upside was that the seas from day 5 on were very calm and the last 3-4 days (60-70+) were quite nice. I recall that the final Saturday had some rain and was a little overcast but still shorts weather. Being from Canada anything over 50 is shorts weather.

Overall we took a more northerly route than expected to miss some storms and this affected how warm it was BUT the seas were much calmer. I would choose calmer seas over a bit warmer temps anytime.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

Not sure exactly what cruise you were on, but we would agree with the original poster. We have sailed on lots of different cruise lines from Carnival to Crystal. I don't believe we have ever found a cruise line that cares less about its passengers. There are some wonderful things about the Oasis, but only when things are going perfectly. When they are not, RCI personnel are no where to be found. They are more interested in selling to the passengers than helping them out.

Of everything I've read -- and I've read everything I can find about the Oasis since I'm on her in less than three weeks-- this is the most upsetting statement. It's pretty obvious to me that for whatever reason, RCI didn't deliver the product people have the right to expect, and that's not OK. Yes, there are things that happened in the course of the cruise that help explain some unacceptable experiences, but it bothers me that Royal Caribbean seems to just want to point the finger and not accept ownership for any of the problems. At the very least, communication when things went wrong seems to have been absent, there were no contingency plans for bad weather, nor were there attempts to make passengers more comfortable when they were waiting hours to embark/disembark.

The experience I quoted above seems to be a prevailing one for this TA. RCI had the opportunity to WOW a new customer, and they dropped the ball badly. What incentive do people with no history with Royal Caribbean have to give them another chance? I hope they learned something from this trip and can correct the problems before the Allure TA and dry dock.

Now RCCL is slowly doing away with the very thing we have loved most about their ships...the Viking Crown Lounge with it's magnificent views of the scenery and ocean!!! We are VERY disappointed with the direction RCCL and X are going.

The Viking Crown Lounge is my "place to go." What has been put in its place? Have the other Royal ships done the same thing with this marvelous venue?

Kathy

I have sailed Oasis and Allure several times each. I would definitely consider each ship to be an "outdoors" ship because of the Boardwalk area, the Central Park area and the Sports Deck area which are all very large. The Aqua Theater, an outdoor venue for aqua shows, consumes a large area too. If the weather is cold, rainey or blustery, none of these areas with their restuaurants and lounges can be comfortably used.

All the passengers who might have been in these areas or the swimming pools will be displaced to other interior public areas. I can imagine it would get quite crowded when the weather is bad. Several days in a row of bad weather and no port calls could get very frustrating.

The Viking Crown Lounge is my "place to go." What has been put in its place? Have the other Royal ships done the same thing with this marvelous venue?

Kathy

A Suites only lounge and a Suites only restaurant. No public access. So far Oasis only, but Allure dry docks spring 2015 so expect similar revisions.

Quantum / Anthem do not even HAVE a VCL. The loyal fanbase dismisses this out of hand, but it is a pretty important aspect of the ship, IMO.

I am not questioning anything OP said. I was not there. However, I have found that on TAs there is an unusually large number of adults and repeat cruisers that participate in the same types of things. [i.e. trivia, movies, etc] This leads to overcrowding. . . . And, it seems everyone eats on the 6pm seating. [ok--mostly everyone] Our late dinner seating was more than 1/2 empty. I am sure the shows timed for the main dinner seating we packed. :eek:

Iffy weather adds to this. The public areas are packed. Also, excursions tend to spread out eating times for breakfast and lunch. When everyone is on the ship they all tend to eat within a 1.5-2 hr time frame.

On our TA last month we tried to watch a movie for three days. We did not get there early enough to get a seat at any time. Decided we did not want to arrive more than 30 minutes early to see a movie we could see on Netflicks. :D

Kathy

The newest (Quantum class) Royal ships have no Viking Crown. On Legend, 2/3 of the Viking Crown was turned into fee restaurants.

We do NOT understand why cruise lines are doing away with the public spaces where you can enjoy the views of the ocean!!!

We took a cruise to Alaska on the Coral Princess. To us, it was a VERY poor design. Almost no views of the scenery unless you stood outside or were on your balcony!!! We had to cover up with blankets to enjoy the scenery!!! We would NEVER book another cruise on that class of ship again for that very reason.

Don't they realize that the reason most people go on cruises is to enjoy the ocean views from a comfortable place where you aren't freezing or in the blazing sun!!!??? If we want to buy nicky nack junk we can go to Wal Mart!!!!!! We LOVE the water.

It seems that the large cruise lines are trying to turn the attention of cruisers inward in a move to try to sell more stuff. Usually junk. We don't like it AT ALL!!!

NCL also made this "mistake" when they converted the Spinnaker Lounge into suites on the Dawn. The former Spinnaker Lounge had large windows, where one could sit and watch the sea. This to me, is the purpose of a cruise.

The new smaller Spinnaker Lounge has been moved aft, with few windows.

Sounds very unappealing. You wouldn't think that adding 100 people would be noticeable on a huge ship but I suppose it is amplified when you decrease the public space.

Personally, I can"t see adding 100 people would cause all this much congestion. It seems like the majority of people who have commented about the Oasis over the years have said how uncrowded it seemed. Even if they reduced public space a bit it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Kathy

I agree with you 100%!!!

The Viking Crown Lounge is the main thing that I LOVED about RCCI!!! We spent a lot of time there reading and watching the ocean go by. Not everyone loves to sit out in the broiling sun and watch the belly flop contest!!

I am VERY disappointed they could take this away!!

I agree with you 100%!!!

The Viking Crown Lounge is the main thing that I LOVED about RCCI!!! We spent a lot of time there reading and watching the ocean go by. Not everyone loves to sit out in the broiling sun and watch the belly flop contest!!

I am VERY disappointed they could take this away!!

We liked the VCL also, went there a couple times every cruise but it seemed so under utilized . Empty a lot of the time. While I don't like the fact that they are eliminating it from the ship I understand them wanting to make better use of the space.

OP, you were on the eastbound TA. Was the weather better such that more pax could enjoy outdoor spaces? Also, was the service better?

I am wondering if there was a significant staff/crew turnover for the return in preparation for US-based cruising. Or perhaps that was the last cruise for many and a turnover took place on arrival in Florida? Just trying to find some possible factor for the poor customer service, which is at odds with our 7-day Oasis experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We too cruise for the ports and the ocean. What you're missing is, more and more cruisers are going "for the ship". They love Oasis and Allure, and love walking around inside a ship like they're never leaving a hotel. It is what it is...... people love it but I don't understand it at all............ But RCCL loves them!!!

Just read the threads here, MANY people in love with Oasis and Allure. It appears the future of cruising for many people is sitting on a ship and eating and wandering around indoors, little interest in visiting ports or enjoying the views of the ocean.......

Edited by bouhunter