Cannoli

This may seem odd but I really want to try cannoli after watching US cooking shows lol. Its not something we have in the UK except maybe in London. I noticed a Giovannis thread mentioned cannoli on the menu. Are cannoli on at lunch and dinner every day? Or do I need to keep checking the menu and book when I see it???

This may seem odd but I really want to try cannoli after watching US cooking shows lol. Its not something we have in the UK except maybe in London. I noticed a Giovannis thread mentioned cannoli on the menu. Are cannoli on at lunch and dinner every day? Or do I need to keep checking the menu and book when I see it???

be advised that the stuff they serve on board is NOT real cannoli. My Italian grandmother would roll over in her grave if I tried to serve that to her.

I can forgive the lack of mini chocolate chips.

I CANNOT let the fact that it was not ricotta slide, though. that is unforgivable

• 2 months later...

The have a cool desert cart that they wheel over to you and you can choose but as someone else mentioned they are not very authentic.

But hey its not terrible either.

The tiramisu is better....you can have both....:)

be advised that the stuff they serve on board is NOT real cannoli. My Italian grandmother would roll over in her grave if I tried to serve that to her.

I CANNOT let the fact that it was not ricotta slide, though. that is unforgivable

What do they use?

What are they filled with? Please don't say boiled cream :(

We had great cannoli on NCL Dawn in April. They were ridiculously expensive but really good................

I was afraid of that and that's why I've never tried one. Some things are better left to tradition. That's one of them.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will try one but I appreciate the tip that they are not authentic. Can't wait to try the tiramisu too, I hear that is wonderful.

Enjoy some of each. My husband and I went for lunch on Navigator and my oh my. I am not of Italian descent so the cannolis and tiramisu were fantastic. We were so full from lunch we ended up getting the desserts to go. Fantastic!

When I was growing up, the very best ones were obtained by our Brooklyn relatives. I like mini chips and chopped citron in mine. One cousin used to get chocolate ones. Never saw them anywhere else but they were amazing. There was a guythat used to belong to my cat club who worked in a bakery. For social events he would bring a giant cannoli shell that was overstuffed with filling and surrounded by mini shells so you took a spoonful of filling and made your own. I used to make such a pig of myself. Even my wedding cake had cannoli filling.

So, no, I personally wouldn't waste the calories on the ship but for others it would probably be good if not authentic.

When I was growing up, the very best ones were obtained by our Brooklyn relatives. I like mini chips and chopped citron in mine. One cousin used to get chocolate ones. Never saw them anywhere else but they were amazing. There was a guythat used to belong to my cat club who worked in a bakery. For social events he would bring a giant cannoli shell that was overstuffed with filling and surrounded by mini shells so you took a spoonful of filling and made your own. I used to make such a pig of myself. Even my wedding cake had cannoli filling.

So, no, I personally wouldn't waste the calories on the ship but for others it would probably be good if not authentic.

DH's family is from the Bronx (some are still there) and I've had outstanding Italian food and pizza in NY. Nothing really compares. We're going back next summer for a few days to see some shows and sites and we plan to hit Little Italy at least once.

Had some fabulous ones in Sicily, where they originated. Our driver took us to a little bakery. They also had wonderful meringues.

I was thinking the same thing. Taormina has the BEST bakery, gelato, and cannoli shop. Up the main street promenade with the seating area across the street. I cannot forget the post here on CruiseCritic that inspired me to find that place. The poster took a picture of her cannoli next to a 10 Euro note; it was that big! Amazing treat!

OK,

I love a good cannoli, but they are hard to fond where we live. So I got the form and make my own. The recipe is on the back. But I also add a drop of rum extract in and of course mini chocolate chips. They are very easy to make.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3660-Stainless-Steel-Cannoli/dp/B000LBU1VQ

Filling

2 cups of ricotta cheese (drained)

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 to 3/4 cup powdered sugar (to taste)

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

a drop or more to taste of rum extract

Edited by geocruiser

Extract?! Amateur !!!! Has to be the real deal. Hehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know. But I think I use less alcohol with the extract than rum. I am looking for the least amount of alcohol to use. Do you know if the extract has less alcohol than real rum? Or am I kidding myself!