Best port(s) without having to take an excursion?

pseudoware

Kind of broad, but in your experience, what are some of the 2 or 3 best ports you've visited where there's a lot to do and offers a great experience within the immediate port area or within a very short walking distance?

And no, having my pic taken at the gangway w/someone dressed in a traditional, local costume, getting swarmed by and saying "no" to a bunch of local, independent tour operators, and then shopping for handmade trinkets, cheap t-shirts w/iron-on decals, over-priced booze, etc. under the shadows of humungous shipping containers and cargo ships is not what I consider a great experience.

Having been to well over 100 different ports on 6 continents we thing nearly EVERY port is better without an excursion :). However we do understand that many folks do not share our spirit of adventure or strong dislike to being stuck in a group. We will admit that some countries such as China make it very difficult to do anything independently.

Hank

There really are very few ports where you NEED an excursion! At least, in the Caribbean! A guidebook will really be the most helpful thing. Tells you ALL about where you're going, an how to do what interests you! Things like beaches, or shopping really never need excursions! Research is key

I think the ports on New England/Canadian itineraries are great for not needing excursions. We booked just one on our first cruise there and did not book any on our second one (but we did rent a car in Halifax).

Several come to mind immediately:

Kona

Bar Harbor

Catalina

These ports all have beautiful little town areas with great shops and restaurants, though more exciting activities might require taxis or shuttle buses. The same is true of many of the Alaska ports (think Red Dog Saloon in Juneau!).

Sydney (Australia, not Canada!)

Vancouver, BC

Both of these are also gorgeous settings, plus having easy access to public buses or ferries that can deliver you quickly to a multitude of other activities.

For the immediate port area, San Jusn, PR, Cadiz and Lisbon come to mind - as soon as you step off the ship you are right there. But even when you have to take some transport - you can pretty much always do it on your own - just spend a little time in advance to figure what you want to see/do in the area.

Any European port (minus St. Petersburg because of the visa issue). This includes any Med cruise of any of the River Cruises.

I'm with Hank; I don't do excursions (ship or private) unless it is a port where I would have no choice. I have yet to have problems doing what I want to do at a port on my own.

I agree with Cadiz, and if you're not to good at walking, there's HOHO buses at the port gates. Some vast ports have shuttles, such as Livorno, Civitavecchia and Barcelona. The island of Rhodes has the old town within easy walking distance; Amsterdam centre is close or there's a nearby tram; Cork (Cobh) and Glasgow (Greenock) are close to trains.

Venice is super easy, because there's even a people carrier to the main transport, and the city is flat walking with plenty of sign posts.

Various ports in Norway are in the centre of things, and several in Spain, such as Cartagena, where it's a simple stroll into the town/Roman ruins etc.

Loreto Mexico -- the tender drops you off right in town, a couple of blocks one way and you get to a beach, a couple of blocks inland you get to some restaurants and shopping, and a church. Or turn the other way once off the tender and walk the malecon.

Ketchikan -- stop at the Visitor Center, get the self-guided walking map. Or take a stroll uphill to Creek Street, or along Stedman and uphill to the Totem Heritage Center.

Am smiling at some of the responses to the OP. The OP does not mention any specific ports, a part of the world, a continent, etc. There are literally several hundred ports around the world (on 7 continents) used by cruise lines. Unless the OP asks a more specific question it is really not reasonable to try and answer. Should we list the more then 100 ports we have visited on cruises with info on each? We think not :)

Hank

Kind of broad, but in your experience, what are some of the 2 or 3 best ports you've visited where there's a lot to do and offers a great experience within the immediate port area or within a very short walking distance?

I would not classify them as a very short walking distance, but I have toured Kona, Alicante, Key West, Monaco, Barcelona, Lahaina, and Ensenada on foot from the ship without problem.

Pubs were a short walk from the ship or tender dock in Ushuaia, Argentina and Stanley, Falkland Islands.

Agree with @whogo on Ushuaia and Stanley -- although we did excursions we also had plenty of time and daylight to enjoy the pubs!

Additionally, Montevideo, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Lucas, as well as Juneau and Kona that others have else mentioned.

Note that when you rule out over-priced booze, you may have removed some of my recommendations! =))

Am smiling at some of the responses to the OP. The OP does not mention any specific ports, a part of the world, a continent, etc. There are literally several hundred ports around the world (on 7 continents) used by cruise lines. Unless the OP asks a more specific question it is really not reasonable to try and answer. Should we list the more then 100 ports we have visited on cruises with info on each? We think not :)

Hank

I based my response based on some postings by the OP in the Cruise Air forum. Has cobbled together some flights to/from Europe for a cruise out of Venice with a stop in London to visit friends/relatives...

I based my response based on some postings by the OP in the Cruise Air forum. Has cobbled together some flights to/from Europe for a cruise out of Venice with a stop in London to visit friends/relatives...

Thanks Slidergirl. I think my use of "excursion" is confusing. I really meant ports where you don't need to take a bus, taxi, etc, ship-affiliated or not, to find worthwhile, interesting and fun attractions or activities.

I've been to Civitavecchia, for example. Not a place I'd think would qualify, IMO. Anyway, I didn't expect a list of every port on the planet, just a couple that others thought were their favorites or would best qualify. Thx for the replies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

And no, having my pic taken at the gangway w/someone dressed in a traditional, local costume, getting swarmed by and saying "no" to a bunch of local, independent tour operators, and then shopping for handmade trinkets, cheap t-shirts w/iron-on decals, over-priced booze, etc. under the shadows of humungous shipping containers and cargo ships is not what I consider a great experience.

There are about 1000 cruise ship ports anywhere in the world and you are asking which is the best anywhere. Reducing the geographic area to at least a continent might get you a better answer.

However, since you ask, I would suggest any port in Antarctica or in Greenland as a good choice.

DON

Some of my favorites for self-exploration: Sitka, AK - Visby, Sweden - Tallinn, Estonia - Lahaina, Maui - Stockholm, Sweden

jjones...we love those ports. Tallinn was such an easy walk from the ship.

Fond memories and easy walking in:

Montevideo (From the port, simply follow the arrows on the sidewalk.)

Punta Del Este

Yokohama

Osaka

Singapore

Ushuaia

Quebec City

Ketchikan

Venice

Istanbul

Nice

All of the South Pacific islands...you can always find a beach nearby. :)

Hong Kong

Key West

San Juan, PR

San Francisco