Hold Out on Cabins?

This has likely been asked before but I am on lunch break & don't have time to research right now as I want to reserve a cabin. Question is does RCCL hold back some cabins, specifically Grand Suite, on upcoming cruises to offer for sale later? I am looking at a May 2019 cruise and almost all the GS are sold out. I know there are fewer of them on the ship we are looking at (Symphony of the Seas) but am surprised to see only 2 left for a cruise over 1 year away. So wondering if more may be available later? Thank you in advance for your help on this.

1) Royal's US website does not show all available staterooms.

2) Some travel agents may have group space reserved.

3) Suites seem to sell out quickly in recent years.

You may not see them! We had a Jr Suite booked, wanted a GS. Showed none, but called and got one. Then we called, weeks later, wanted a higher category, showed none, but when we called, they had it.

This has likely been asked before but I am on lunch break & don't have time to research right now as I want to reserve a cabin. Question is does RCCL hold back some cabins, specifically Grand Suite, on upcoming cruises to offer for sale later? I am looking at a May 2019 cruise and almost all the GS are sold out. I know there are fewer of them on the ship we are looking at (Symphony of the Seas) but am surprised to see only 2 left for a cruise over 1 year away. So wondering if more may be available later? Thank you in advance for your help on this.

May 4. More than 10 available

May 11 more than 10 available

May 18 3 available

May 25 more than 10 available

May 28 none available

From the TA website. ( shows the same inventory as the Royal agents see)

You may not see them! We had a Jr Suite booked, wanted a GS. Showed none, but called and got one. Then we called, weeks later, wanted a higher category, showed none, but when we called, they had it.

What? Why?? This makes no sense that RCI would not show even 1 cabin available in a class of suites when availability exists. What bad customer service that you have to call to check accuracy of availability.

I happened to check a Wuantum sailing in 2019 today and the only suites shown were JS. Am I going to call? No, just won’t book.

One of our prior dinner companions worked for one of the big on-line agencies and she told us that the TA who block cabins must release them 6 months prior to the cruise. I find it appalling that they are allowed to even HOLD cabins for an extended period of time! For those of us planning cruises a year in advance are put at a real disadvantage! Sometimes I want a certain cabin category and they aren't available to book. Or you go from one online TA to TA looking for who might have a cabin you want. It's a game I don't want to play!!

Thank you all for the responses. We went ahead & booked the only 2 left.

Felt rushed & hoping the right decision with the "cancellation penalty" for Grand Suites booking (although I understand RCCL's concern behind the why they implemented this). I do agree with BopRN; this is not a game I want to or have time to play, having to track down a TA who might be able to book one of the cabins I'm interested in.

More & more I'm looking at other cruise lines when I was always first to look at RCCL. I'm sure it won't matter to RCCL but it is frustrating all the same.

Thank you to all the suggestions from our CC friends.

More & more I'm looking at other cruise lines when I was always first to look at RCCL. I'm sure it won't matter to RCCL but it is frustrating all the same.

Such practices with TA's are common to the cruise industry with Carnival, Norwegian, Princess and most other cruise lines all do this so it's not isolated to RCI. Some of the more expensive cruise lines (like Disney or Cunard) may be more transparent but I would not count on it.

One of our prior dinner companions worked for one of the big on-line agencies and she told us that the TA who block cabins must release them 6 months prior to the cruise. I find it appalling that they are allowed to even HOLD cabins for an extended period of time! For those of us planning cruises a year in advance are put at a real disadvantage! Sometimes I want a certain cabin category and they aren't available to book. Or you go from one online TA to TA looking for who might have a cabin you want. It's a game I don't want to play!!

From my experience they book a total amount of cabins, not individual ones. I have had the opportunity to book a group rate several times. I didn't like the cabins that showed on their website so I went to the uk site and found some I liked. Got those, no problem.

I can't understand why Royals website only shows a couple of cabins available in each category. One of my cruises is no longer showing a balcony category available, but on more than one TA website there are over 80 cabins. Royals website is showing only a couple of balcony cabins over all the categories, but there are hundreds available on other sites.

From my experience they book a total amount of cabins, not individual ones. I have had the opportunity to book a group rate several times. I didn't like the cabins that showed on their website so I went to the uk site and found some I liked. Got those, no problem.

TA's can hold any cabin they want in certain categories

We booked a cruise 20 months out, and there was only one GS left.

Be aware of the final payment date and time. Then call after that. You will have the best chance of getting the cabin type you want being available then. Final payment date is reality day. It's easy to deposit, especially on reduced deposit sales, but some back out when it comes to writing the check for the balance! Case in point, my brother and his wife decided to join us on our Allure Aug 19th cruise. He wanted a GS but none were available at time of booking so he booked a JS. Final payment was yesterday at 5:00 PM EST. He called late last night and he got lucky, a GS opened up and he grabbed it!

In 2016 Serenade Thanksgiving 11 night cruise, all GS were sold out a year in advance. We booked a JS and waitlisted for GS. I kept watching and the week around final payment, several GS opened up and I was able to upgrade. Nobody called or let us know that any were available even though we were waitlisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In 2016 Serenade Thanksgiving 11 night cruise, all GS were sold out a year in advance. We booked a JS and waitlisted for GS. I kept watching and the week around final payment, several GS opened up and I was able to upgrade. Nobody called or let us know that any were available even though we were waitlisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the information and pleased you got what you wanted.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Forums mobile app

My brother was going to wait as well since he was waitlisted but I told him that call might not come. We pushed him to be proactive, he called them and he got what he wanted!

she told us that the TA who block cabins

I've come to understand this is not the case..... is it?

From my experience they book a total amount of cabins, not individual ones. I have had the opportunity to book a group rate several times.

This has been the exact case for me, 5 times in the last 5 years booking a group rate, including my next sailing in a month.

I got to choose any available cabin I wanted in the category they had the rate available.... a select group of cabins were never "blocked" out in the first place where I had to choose from a specific group of cabins

And your point is? You can hold any cabin you want in any category.

Yes, you can hold it by paying a deposit. And in some cases and non-refundable one.

I don't think TA pay deposits on all the cabins.

Yes, you can hold it by paying a deposit. And in some cases and non-refundable one.

I don't think TA pay deposits on all the cabins.

They aren’t holding any particular cabin. The deposit is paid when someone makes a booking through them.