MIssed port at Grand Cayman - Early Dec?

Wishing on a star

I have also posted this on the Grand Cayman forum, but hope some of you might indulge my picky questions here on the main Princess forum!

Grand Cayman is one Island that we have not visited, and we are very much hoping to enjoy this port on our cruise on the Regal.

I know that nobody has a crystal ball... but wonder how often winds and seas might be an issue this time of the year. I am thinking that the Winter winds do not pick up until later?

I did some research, and looked at the history on Weather Underground... What I am seeing does not look bad. Average winds 10mph or so... gust usually up to 15-20.

Does anyone have any info on how often Grand Cayman might be missed at this time of year?

I have also posted this on the Grand Cayman forum, but hope some of you might indulge my picky questions here on the main Princess forum!

Grand Cayman is one Island that we have not visited, and we are very much hoping to enjoy this port on our cruise on the Regal.

I know that nobody has a crystal ball... but wonder how often winds and seas might be an issue this time of the year. I am thinking that the Winter winds do not pick up until later?

I did some research, and looked at the history on Weather Underground... What I am seeing does not look bad. Average winds 10mph or so... gust usually up to 15-20.

Does anyone have any info on how often Grand Cayman might be missed at this time of year?

1 in 99 they’ll skip the port stop due to high winds.

Good luck. And enjoy your cruise.

It is one of the most missed ports. I think we had it booked 5 times before I was able to be on the island. Whether that is just dumb luck or common' date=' I can't say.[/quote']

It's pure luck. I have been very fortunate and never missed the port. (I really hesitate to report this.) Although there was one visit when tendering was delayed an hour or two due to conditions.

There are 2 different spots where tenders can land. On my last cruise there we couldn't tender at the usual spot but went to a different one. All the non ship tours knew where it was and they met us without a problem. This was at the beginning of December.

They can't build a dock. The island is surrounded by a coral reef which is legally protected. A dock would require destruction of part of the reef....or at least that's what we were told.

Could be wrong but vaguely remember there is one place on the island where it could be done without harming the reef.

we missed it this jan.17.very high winds.spotts bay is the other small tender port on the south side.not much of a dock.we were on the carnival breeze.7 ships in Cozumel the next day.half moon cay is another missed port too

We have been to GC many times and have always made it to shore. High winds and/or high seas will cause the ship to cancel the port stop. The coral around the island is protected and shallow. A pier would not only destroy the protected coral but would require a long pier making it expensive and impractical. The island is flat and near sea level so that it is not able to block the wind like other ports with mountain tops. It has been totally under water during hurricanes several times due to its low elevation. Lately we have stayed on the ship due to the hassle of tendering and the fact we have been there many times.

Me again...

Thanks everyone!

I don't really need the extraneous negative personal opinions. (gotta just love those..... always a couple.)

This is one Island that we have not visited.

I am a beach-girl. SMB seems to be one of the best.

As well as the Stiing-Rays.

There are other ports where I might choose to stay on the ship...

This is not one of them.

I've been to about 20 Caribbean ports, and I've have to say Grand Cayman is the least interesting of any of them.

Wishing on a Star, I hope you get ashore at Grand Cayman and have a great time. It's true, the beaches are very nice. I'm just saying that if you don't make it, don't be too disappointed. For what it's worth, I am 2 for 2 in being able to disembark there.