blood pressure medicine and cruising

Laurab23

I was just put on medicine for high blood pressure. Will it affect my cruising at all? My next cruise is not until Feb so I should be adjusted to the medicine way before then. Just wondering if anyone found themselves dizzier during the cruise than before taking medicine. Or did you notice anything else different than cruising before having to take this medicine. My cardiologist did say drinking alcohol was fine.

Laura

I was just put on medicine for high blood pressure. Will it affect my cruising at all? My next cruise is not until Feb so I should be adjusted to the medicine way before then. Just wondering if anyone found themselves dizzier during the cruise than before taking medicine. Or did you notice anything else different than cruising before having to take this medicine. My cardiologist did say drinking alcohol was fine.

Laura

Blood pressure meds are typically a diuretic (making you shed water). I don't know that they would be affected by cruising. Although too much alcohol is also a diuretic, so there would be a bit of caution necessary there.

Laura

high blood pressure med? Which one, what dose, underlying issues? What other meds?

No need to answer- call your doctor and ask these questions that you may have forgotten to ask when you saw him/her.

Since you will be adjusting to the meds for a while, I would get a small blood pressure monitor so you can check yourself and see how you are doing.

I too take BP meds and I am pretty careful with what I drink. Due to a heart condition I have been on the same meds for over 15 years. Some things I am careful of is staying hydrated. If I am not hydrated I can get dizzy pretty quickly. I no longer take a diuretic.

I will have a couple of drinks when we go to the shows, but pay attention to how I am feeling.

Have a great time, but listen to your body.

Edited by SPacificbound
add info

I would talk to your doctor

also check your trip insurance since this is a change in medication it may affect the policy if you have a claim

DH has a wrist BP monitor (CVS) it works well to monitor your BP

try to avoid salt you can notify the cruise line ask for low sodium meals

also check your trip insurance since this is a change in medication it may affect the policy if you have a claim

Sodium isn't necessarily the villain it's portrayed to be:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317099.php

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/symptoms-causes/syc-20373711

Sodium isn't necessarily the villain it's portrayed to be:

We try to avoid too much sodium but we do not have heart problems as well as high BP

it is best to talk to YOUR doctor regarding your intake

Some cruise lines like to use a lot of salt in their offerings so hard to monitor your intake levels

I am sure it would not be too harmful to cut back on a cruise unless it is a month +

JMO

Edited by LHT28

I've been on high blood pressure medication for 20 years and it has not affected any aspect of my life, either at home, traveling, or on a cruise - other than to successfully keep my blood pressure in check. But that is my situation.

If you have questions regarding you, you should consult your physician as only they - and certainly not any of us - can advise you as to your specific situation relative to your medications.

I've been on high blood pressure medication for 20 years and it has not affected any aspect of my life, either at home, traveling, or on a cruise - other than to successfully keep my blood pressure in check. But that is my situation.

If you have questions regarding you, you should consult your physician as only they - and certainly not any of us - can advise you as to your specific situation relative to your medications.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I have talked to my dr and she said it should not be an issue but she has never been on a cruise and I was looking for an idea from someone who has been cruising and taking meds for high blood pressure.

Laura

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I have talked to my dr and she said it should not be an issue but she has never been on a cruise and I was looking for an idea from someone who has been cruising and taking meds for high blood pressure.

Laura

The fact the she has not been on a cruise should not impact her understanding as a physician prescribing your medication of how the medication you are on would affect you, and if there would be specific circumstances that would be of concern.

My physician has never been on a cruise either - not sure how that would impact her knowledge of what she prescribes to me to treat my specific medical concerns. Never heard of any listed side effects brought on by a cruise......;)

Enjoy your cruise.

As everyone else notes, it depends on your own medical situation, but I don't find that it affects me at all apart from keeping my blood pressure reasonable. I don't think being on a ship is a lot different from being on land in and of itself--it's more the usual issues of what and how much you eat and drink, stuff like that. Food on ships may have more salt than you use at home, as it's basically restaurant food. I can't imagine there'd be any issues with your bringing a monitor if you wanted to keep an eye on it.

If a new diagnosis and/or a medication/treatment change for a chronic issue happens during the "look back" period (preceding the policy purchase date), that would constitute a "pre-existing condition," which could trigger denial of any insurance claim related to that condition. Of course, some policies will waive "preexisting conditions" if the policy is purchased during a specified time frame related to either cruise deposit or final payment dates.

Same here, but more like 25+ years.

As your next cruise is not until Feb, you will have ample time to see how you manage your new medications. Generally, if you have no side effects on land, you will not have any on a ship either.

My DW and I both came off of blood pressure medications last year after years of taking them. This hasn't affected our travels at all.

Been on BP meds for almost 15 years and during this time I worked at sea as Captain of large Ro/Pax ferries for 10 years and have cruised extensively as a passenger, including a world cruise.

No issues experienced.

you ole cross eyed barnacle, I've sailed with ya a few times ;p