Do you wear your real wedding rings on cruise trips?

bostongal123

I leave mine at home, as for most of my jewelry too. It's just not worth it to me to misplace them. My husband wears his wedding ring though. He never takes it off unless he goes swimming.

Since I can't get it off my finger, yes, I wear my wedding ring. We were flat broke when we got married, so the monetary value is negligible and it's not at all flashy. Hubby hasn't worn his ring in years due to jewelry restrictions when working, and I doubt he could get it onto his finger anymore.

I only wear some bling-y costume jewelry when I dress for dinner. I don't bother packing any actual valuables (what little I have).

Not married, but any jewelry I have is costume jewelry with 2 exceptions: a ring I bought in Alaska that has tiny gold nuggets in the setting. At $200 it's the most expensive piece of jewelry I own, which I guess says something about me (cheap). The other exception is my mother's wedding ring. Still don't know what it's worth, but since she's gone, the real value is sentimental. I wear it on my right hand most days. Thieves could take anything and I wouldn't really care but my heart would be broken if I lost that ring.

I've never been anywhere, yet, that I felt in danger of being robbed. But, after reading this thread I may start leaving that ring at home. Too precious to lose. Now watch, I'll get robbed in my home town. On a Sunday. At the grocery store. Stranger things have happened.

SWMBO and I haven't worn our loot in years. 1) She works in a medical center, a lot of hand washing/sanitizing, gloving wearing; 2) I had hand surgery and advice afterwards was not to wear any rings.

Husband's ring slipped off when he was snorkelling in the Red Sea, so he just bought a cheap one from Argos, and no-one's ever noticed the difference. If this one slips off again, it's worth very little.

This perhaps is a silly question but I am curious what most people do. Do you leave your irreplaceable valuables at home (wedding rings come to mind) or wear them on the ships?

Wear them.

Why wouldn't you.

of course mine is insured as well but I would still be devastated to lose either ring. I don't travel often, maybe one or two weeks out of the year. I think it's a stretch to say that if I'm wearing it 50 weeks a year and not wearing it 2 that it's only sitting in a box.

Ultimately though, to each their own.

For anyone who does decide not to wear them though, hide them before you leave. In weird places. And tell yourself and your husband 10 times where you put it so you don't forget ;)

Send am email to your SO saying something like "Don't forget to buy a new toaster when you get back."

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

I bring my jewelry, fine and costume, and wear it as if I were at home. Now at home, I do not wear jewelry when exercising (yea losing weight and ring falls off), boating on the lake, hiking where I need to hold onto rocks and trees, etc. If just walking around a port...I wear it. If I am snorkeling, I leave it in the safe.

I bring my good rings on cruises but wear them mostly at night. Otherwise they reside in the safe. I don't wear them into most ports, depending on the safety of the area and what excursions we are doing.

For a couple of land trips to more 3rd world countries, I didn't take them at all; just a simple gold band.

This perhaps is a silly question but I am curious what most people do. Do you leave your irreplaceable valuables at home (wedding rings come to mind) or wear them on the ships?

I only have the one and if I get robbed, then so be it, If I left it at home it may get stolen as well. My Wife wears her jewellery as well, although some items are left in the ship's safe for port days.

On our first cruise, we did not wear our wedding rings as we knew there weren't any safes in the cabins.

As the years passed and ships put safes in the cabins, then we wore them.

My ring stays on no matter what. Can't actually take it off.

My wedding ring has been on since my husband out it on, on our wedding day! It has not been off in 55 years. I can't get it off if I want to!

I have an antique 4 diamond ring I wear on cruises but only on the ship. If we go ashore it goes in our safe until we get back.

Where are these dangerous ports where it's not safe to wear your wedding rings??? I'm astonished at this query! Do you think all married women in Europe leave their rings at home when venturing outdoors??:D

I'm pretty sure that people on this forum cruise to more places than Europe.

Jamaica comes to mind. Dominican Republic. Haiti. St. Lucia. Roatan. Columbian ports. Venezuelan ports. Mazatlan and Acapulco Mexico. El Salvador. Western Africa.

Not that you shouldn't cruise to these places if you choose, but they are higher crime areas.

do you wear a wedding ring when you go to safeway

pretty sure cruise ship passengers havnt had thier fingers hacked off for a wedding ring

Crime never happens in cruise ports? Are you sure? Good to know that cruisers are protected from crime by a safety bubble.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-shooting-tourist-idUSBREA1621020140207

There are many other stories, but I chose that specific one because they were being robbed for their jewelry in a port. Actually standing in front of a shop.

ETA: yes, I understand they didn't get their fingers chopped off. So in a literal sense, your comment is correct. However, he was still MURDERED over jewelry.

I leave expensive items in safekeeping and have a fake to wear to dinner on the ship. I never wear jewelry in port or at the pools. I'm not necessarily afraid in port, just not interested in becoming a target if someone is looking for one. And yes, I have insurance, but I'd rather not have to deal with all that on vacation. I don't wear jewelry at my animal clinic job other than earrings. Rings can get caught on leashes & I find that they get banged up against cage doors. I like to take care of what I have, so I am particular about where I where my jewelry.

I know that things can happen at home, too, but I think there's a big difference between being in your own town vs. being in another country.

My jeweler recommended that she cut off my ring and resize it She was concerned that if I injured my hand,swelling of the finger would cut off the circulation in my finger. At least, now, I can take off the ring if necessary. While I hated to take off my wedding ring, it was for the best.

In over 40 years of marriage I've only removed my wedding and engagement rings when compelled to before surgery. I've worn them while travelling in 4 continents and countless islands. And never felt unsafe while doing so. However I would never tell someone NOT to wear them if they feel so inclined. I think that would be the height of arrogance.

In over 40 years of marriage I've only removed my wedding and engagement rings when compelled to before surgery. I've worn them while travelling in 4 continents and countless islands. And never felt unsafe while doing so. However I would never tell someone NOT to wear them if they feel so inclined. I think that would be the height of arrogance.

My daughter went on a trip for three weeks to the Philippines. Instead of her real diamond rings she got cheap imitation ones. I asked her if the bad guys could tell the difference?