Trip Insurance question

lizanderichb

We are cruising with Royal Caribbean in November and booked through a travel agent. I wasn't sure if it was cheaper to book the insurance through Royal Caribbean or through a 3rd party. There is 3 of us, ages 38,42 and 11. Its a 3 night cruise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are cruising with Royal Caribbean in November and booked through a travel agent. I wasn't sure if it was cheaper to book the insurance through Royal Caribbean or through a 3rd party. There is 3 of us, ages 38,42 and 11. Its a 3 night cruise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can get MUCH better coverage for less through a 3rd party.

Try http://www.insuremytrip.com and compare. There may also be some policies that cover children for free.

If you have any questions just call them and they will be happy to help you.

insuremytrip.com is a good choice, or google for online trip insurance quotes and you will get three or four other options.

Booking travel insurance independently usually gets you better coverage for less money. Unless you are older, then the cruise insurance could be cheaper. This is because the cruise line charges all ages the same cost, so its only based on trip cost, while travel insurance companies also charge based on age.

I also like using insuremytrip and comparing coverage. Just be sure to read up enough to ensure you understand what you are buying / what it covers (and doesn't). For example, I like to get a plan that includes a lot of evacuation coverage and some medical, but usually don't particularly care on the coverage levels for everything else, unless its a super expensive trip.

The cruise line insurance will generally always we more expensive. Better options are normally available from online brokers (insuremytrip.com) or local brick & mortar brokers. The cruise line insurance is normally only better for older passengers taking long, luxury cruises.

However, it is critical to read the small print as cheapest is not always the best.

There is also tripinsurancestore.com

You MAY get a better deal from 3rd parties. And at your ages, most likely will. But for older cruisers, the 3rd party company underwrite, so they charge more for older people.

A few years ago, for my parents at 87, the insurance quote was WAY higher than through the cruise company. We insured them through the cruise company, and did end up using the insurance.

The main thing that bothers me about the insurance through the cruiseline is the very small dollar amount of medical and medical evacuation coverage.

At our age we would rather pay more through a 3rd party to cover us in case of a medical emergency or evacuation than worry about getting our money back for the cruise.

You just have to review all policies to see what best fits your needs....

Happy Sailing everyone!!!

I had a question about this. We normally buy our insurance through RCI because we do not have to pay for it until Final Payment, so if we cancel the cruise before then, we do not need to pay for it at all. But I thought you needed to buy the 3rd party insurance with so many days of booking your cruise. So does that mean if you cancel, you get all your money back?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a question about this. We normally buy our insurance through RCI because we do not have to pay for it until Final Payment, so if we cancel the cruise before then, we do not need to pay for it at all. But I thought you needed to buy the 3rd party insurance with so many days of booking your cruise. So does that mean if you cancel, you get all your money back?

It depends on the coverage you want. Yes, I believe if you need pre-existing conditions covered you need to book within so many days of booking. Cancel for any reason may be the same. But if you don’t need those coverages, nothing stops you from booking the insurance a week before you leave. Can certainly wait till you are post final payment.

Some of the insurers on insuremytrip will cover pre-existing conditions on a cruise as long as you buy the insurance before (or within 24 hours after) final payment. I've bought such policies and even had a pretty good-sized claim once.

It depends on the coverage you want. Yes, I believe if you need pre-existing conditions covered you need to book within so many days of booking. Cancel for any reason may be the same. But if you don’t need those coverages, nothing stops you from booking the insurance a week before you leave. Can certainly wait till you are post final payment.

There is nothing stopping you from booking closer to the cruise, but prices do increase the closer your travel gets. I insured a trip once 500 days or so before sailing (within 14 days of booking) and when I checked the rate 90 days before the cruise it had risen by 50% or so. Just something to be mindful of. Also, if you purchase 3rd party insurance you do not get a refund if you end up cancelling your trip, although many of the companies will transfer your coverage to your next trip if you ask.

As an aside, I didn't check Royal's rates but we got a policy for our cruise next April for $100 (2 travelers 60/52, $1770 travel cost).

Thanks!

We always buy independent, either thru Insuremytrip.com or Squaremouth.com.

You get better coverage at a better premium. That and I don't like to buy insurance from where I book my vacation and flights from for fear that the small print might favor them rather then the insured.

1) I wish people would stop saying that you ALWAYS get a better price from 3rd party. That is NOT TRUE. Most times, yes, but not always.

2) As for the cruise line "getting out paying", our experience is that they are very responsive and paid quickly. And even helped negotiate down prices that were higher than the coverage about. I am not sure if the cruise line is even the ensurer, but just sell you the coverage. I know that the airlines (Delta and United), if you buy trip insurance from them, Allianz is the insurer.

We tried a third party insurance company. Because my DH is 80, the cost was over $900 for a cruise costing $3000 for his fare only.

We have since used the cruise line insurance and our cost is something like $238 for both of us.

Of course the higher cost may equal better coverage but I don’t know that for sure.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We tried a third party insurance company. Because my DH is 80, the cost was over $900 for a cruise costing $3000 for his fare only.

We have since used the cruise line insurance and our cost is something like $238 for both of us.

Of course the higher cost may equal better coverage but I don’t know that for sure.

Margee

At the time I booked a cruise some time ago I told the TA I didn't want their insurance because I was buying from my own insurer. That was fine and we rocked along for quite awhile before they started hounding me to buy their policy.

Then one day I received a notice that the TA had voluntarily added the insurance to my booking because they thought that I really needed it!

I called the TA immediately and told them how much I appreciated their looking out for my best interests and BTW just go ahead and cancel my cruise. I was just a tiny bit irritated that they would have the audacity to mess with my account in such a way.

I sure wish I could tell everyone the name of my Cruise TA. Such dishonesty has no place in the industry.

I now have a TA and insurer that I know and trust. Caveat Emptor!

Of course the higher cost may y.equal better coverage but I don’t know that for sure.

Margee

When one gets older is when insurance through the cruise line might be a better deal than buying independently.

We always shop and get the insurance quote from our TA and the cruise line as well as one of the online brokers. So far (late 60's) independent is least expensive.

When we were shopping for others, we discovered that the crossover occurred at either 80 or 85, depending on the cruise line.

1) I wish people would stop saying that you ALWAYS get a better price from 3rd party. That is NOT TRUE. Most times, yes, but not always.

2) As for the cruise line "getting out paying", our experience is that they are very responsive and paid quickly. And even helped negotiate down prices that were higher than the coverage about. I am not sure if the cruise line is even the ensurer, but just sell you the coverage. I know that the airlines (Delta and United), if you buy trip insurance from them, Allianz is the insurer.

Totally agree.

I can also add another. For our 2020 world cruise, I could not find an online or local broker who would accept the risk and issue a policy. The policy issued used by the cruise line was expensive, but at least they accepted the risk without completing the dreaded medical questionaire and if purchased with cruise deposit they waive the pre-existing conditions clause.

In our experience, once we hit 60 most insurance companies want a medical form completed unless it is for short duration coverage (up to 30 days). We normally require 90 to 180 days and once you hit 60 and complete their medical questionaire, the premiums for 3rd party insurers more than double.

Also in our experience, having a no pre-existing conditions clause significantly improves the payment of claims. After our 2015 world cruise, we received a cheque in a couple of weeks for our on-board medical expenses, with only the ship invoices submitted. This year we claimed on a local insurance company after DW spent a night in a US hospital. It took 4 months and lots of documentation for them to rule out any pre-existing conditions.

While cruise line insurance may be more expensive, especially for younger folks, you only need to have 1 claim denied due to a pre-existing condition, for the playing field to be leveled. Having just gone through the experience, I can assure you insurance companies may investigate any potential issue, so as to deny a claim for pre-existing conditions, especially when it includes a substantial bill.

While medical qualification may be true for Canadian(?) coverage I've never seen a mention of medical qualification for US travel insurance. Age is a factor in the premium but no questions other than that, and pre-existing condition waivers are common.

Question:

I have just booked a New Years Eve 2019 cruise for our family. Not cheap. But we were able to get a large amount of perks so it made sense to book it now.

BUT we aren't 100% sure we are going to take it; we can cancel up until 120 days out (late August 2019).

No one has any medical conditions; I am more concerned about winter weather; or unexpected emergencies.

I have booked through insuremytrip.com before but never far from original booking date.

I am of the understanding that as long as there are no medical issues, we can book insurance later (less comprehensive policy)

Can anyone share if they have done this?

Thanks!

Just bought insurance yesterday. Used Insure my Trip and purchased Allinaz. We are 62 and 68, bought higher limits as Medicare pays nothing outside the US. Insurance covers flight to Barcelona, hotel stay and cruise cost. Booked the cruise over a year ago, total cost of trip at $7000.00. Total cost of policy $268.00, cost from Royal Caribbean over a year ago at time of booking was around $400.00 with less medical and evacuation coverage.

Question:

I have just booked a New Years Eve 2019 cruise for our family. Not cheap. But we were able to get a large amount of perks so it made sense to book it now.

BUT we aren't 100% sure we are going to take it; we can cancel up until 120 days out (late August 2019).

No one has any medical conditions; I am more concerned about winter weather; or unexpected emergencies.

I have booked through insuremytrip.com before but never far from original booking date.

I am of the understanding that as long as there are no medical issues, we can book insurance later (less comprehensive policy)

Can anyone share if they have done this?

Thanks!

If you're not concerned about a pre-existing medical condition you can buy insurance whenever. BUT, you can't wait until the risk of severe weather on your travel days becomes real.

As I've mentioned there are policies with pre-existing condition coverage that you can buy up until final payment. Since we often book a year in advance I buy one of these policies at final payment rather than when the trip is booked.

If you're interested in cancel-for-any-reason coverage (usually pays 75% of the non-refundable cost) you need to buy that insurance soon after booking the cruise.

If you're not concerned about a pre-existing medical condition you can buy insurance whenever. BUT, you can't wait until the risk of severe weather on your travel days becomes real.

As I've mentioned there are policies with pre-existing condition coverage that you can buy up until final payment. Since we often book a year in advance I buy one of these policies at final payment rather than when the trip is booked.

If you're interested in cancel-for-any-reason coverage (usually pays 75% of the non-refundable cost) you need to buy that insurance soon after booking the cruise.

OK, great. Since final payment is due 120 days out, there is no way to know weather...I will wait until then. Thanks!