Cozumel

shadow2252

Has anyone heard of what Celebrity is doing regarding the excursions to the mainland? It is all over the news about a travel advisory...

Not about Celebrity but a neighbor just returned from a Princess cruise and no excursions to the mainland.

What's considered the mainland?

I just went to Mr Sanchos recently and it was uneventful other than it being a nice, all inclusive, beach resort day.

Cozumel is an island off the coast of Mexico. To get to the mainland you have to take a ferry. The ferry service is the crux of the issue.

Cozumel is an island off the coast of Mexico. To get to the mainland you have to take a ferry. The ferry service is the crux of the issue.

We've booked a 'jeep excursion' through X on Cozumel. Anyone know if this tour is on the island or requiring a ferry to the mainland??

We've booked a 'jeep excursion' through X on Cozumel. Anyone know if this tour is on the island or requiring a ferry to the mainland??

Jeep exist on the island of Cozumel. Taking the ferry to get one would be impractical.

The name Cozumel was derived from the Mayan "Cuzamil" or "Ah Cuzamil Peten" in full, which means "the island of swallows"-Wiki

I am in Ireland and have heard nothing and going on a Celebrity cruise including Cozumel and Costa Maya in 2 weeks. What is the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some nutjub set off a bomb on one of the ferries the run from the mainland to Cozumel. They also found another bomb on another ferry before it went off.

Some nutjub set off a bomb on one of the ferries the run from the mainland to Cozumel. They also found another bomb on another ferry before it went off.

That's the reason cruise lines cancelled excursions to the mainland.

There's still lots to do in Cozumel. :)

I am in Ireland and have heard nothing and going on a Celebrity cruise including Cozumel and Costa Maya in 2 weeks. What is the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On March 7, 2018, the United States embassy in Mexico City issued a Security Alert advising American citizens that "‎the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City received information about a security threat in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico. Effective immediately, U.S. Government employees are prohibited from traveling to Playa del Carmen until further notice. The U.S. Consular Agency in Playa del Carmen will be closed until further notice.‎"

U.S. Embassy in Mexico City Security Alert

On February 21, 2018, an explosive device detonated on a popular tourist ferry in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo. The explosion injured over twenty individuals, including tourists. On March 1, 2018, local authorities found another explosive device on a ferry also operating out of Playa del Carmen. Some cruise lines have cancelled excursions using ferry services in Playa del Carmen. Avoid tourist ferries travelling in the region until further notice, be vigilant and monitor local media (including social media).

Jeep exist on the island of Cozumel. Taking the ferry to get one would be impractical.

The name Cozumel was derived from the Mayan "Cuzamil" or "Ah Cuzamil Peten" in full, which means "the island of swallows"-Wiki

Maybe my question wasn't clear. I'm pretty sure there are 'jeep' on the island...LOL. I'm asking if the "Celebrity Jeep Excursion" will require transfer to the mainland, using the ferry, to pick up the tour. Or...does the 'jeep excursion' occur on the island itself? Does anyone know? If it's a transfer to the mainland I presume the tour will be cancelled so will start to look for another tour to take its place.

I believe the jeep excursion is right on Cozumel. If it required a ferry trip to the mainland, it would say so in the description of the excursion, as there are some people who cannot or will not take that 45 min or so ferry trip each way.

I googled “ Celebrity jeep excursion Cozumel” and saw many positive experiences described for this Cozumel- based excursion.

Hope this helps.

I believe the jeep excursion is right on Cozumel. If it required a ferry trip to the mainland, it would say so in the description of the excursion, as there are some people who cannot or will not take that 45 min or so ferry trip each way.

I googled “ Celebrity jeep excursion Cozumel” and saw many positive experiences described for this Cozumel- based excursion.

Hope this helps.

Thank you .... BTW, love your screen name..LOL.

Maybe my question wasn't clear. I'm pretty sure there are 'jeep' on the island...LOL. I'm asking if the "Celebrity Jeep Excursion" will require transfer to the mainland, using the ferry, to pick up the tour. Or...does the 'jeep excursion' occur on the island itself? Does anyone know? If it's a transfer to the mainland I presume the tour will be cancelled so will start to look for another tour to take its place.

Jeep will be on the island of Cozumel. The excursions which go to the mainland are to the ruins such as Tulum or Chichen itza. Xcaret park, Chetumal is a big one off the island as well. All the other excursions such as horseback riding, shopping, beaches, dolphins, four wheelers, bicycles, Chankanaab park.........all on the island no ferry required.

The scary thing is that the bomb went off on Feb 21, and those of us on Silhouette that week never knew anything about it. The excursion to the mainland went on as scheduled on Feb 22.

Inexcusable! We were just there as well on Equinox and we knew nothing about it either. As it happens we decided to just stay in the little port area (we call it artificial Mexico), and didn't venture beyond that as we have done in the past.

The USA embassy in Mexico changed its initial notice, the facilities will reopen next Monday and the travel restriction is only to some neighborhoods of Playa del Carmen.

A little more than that. The restrictions do only apply to five neighborhoods now, but,

"U.S. government personnel are still prohibited from using ferry services between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel until further notice. U.S. citizens should not use ferry services operating between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel."

is still posted.

A little more than that. The restrictions do only apply to five neighborhoods now, but,

"U.S. government personnel are still prohibited from using ferry services between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel until further notice. U.S. citizens should not use ferry services operating between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel."

is still posted.

yes, the full message its here https://mx.usembassy.gov/security-alert-u-s-embassy-mexico-city-mexico-march-9-2018/