Cruising Bug Gets Worse With Age?

Steelers0854

DW and I have been cruising for over a decade now. We are DINKs in our 30s and are limited in our travel time because of work. The cruising bug bit us right after our first cruise and we typically take 1 cruise year and after that cruise plan ahead for the next year and book using an FCC we got on board.

Well, we are slated to take 3 cruises this year, I am out of FCCs, and have 4 booked currently all the way til early 2019 with one of our bucket lists cruises, a full transit Panama Canal on the Coral. It will be our first PC cruise and our first cruise over 10 days!

So there you have it. Clinical proof that as you get older, this cruise addiction gets worse, thankfully there is no cure in sight. Guess I need to start buying more FCCs on board.

[emoji41] happy cruising to you all!

Believe me, it just get worse! I started out in my twenties, taking one or two cruises a year. Now that I'm retired, it's a minimum of three to four cruises a year. My DH can retire in three and half years. We plan on down-sizing our house, so that we can spend three to four months a year on the cruise ships.

It does get worse, as you have more leisure time. The only things that keep us off a cruise ship full time are pets and the rest of the family (parents and kids). Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT get sucked into a 12 step program for this addiction. It is a wonderful thing and cures a whole lots of things, including stress. Happy cruising.

I'm going the opposite direction. The older I get (50) the more we're switching to land trips. Not sure what specifically it is, maybe wanting more freedom. It used to be that cruises were the first thing I looked at as a vacation

I started to cruise in my mid 20's, and have been doing it ever since. When I was younger it was 1 to 2 cruises a year, now it is 3 to 5 per year. It was love at first cruise.

We mainly do Caribbean cruises. We go to relax and not to have to do dishes etc.,

I'm going the opposite direction. The older I get (50) the more we're switching to land trips. Not sure what specifically it is, maybe wanting more freedom. It used to be that cruises were the first thing I looked at as a vacation

We are kind of with you. While cruising remains our favorite way to travel, we are taking more land trips. Especially to see more of North America. We have ratcheted back a bit on cruises but expect to continue doing it as long as we can.

Lucky Bugs!!

I have not been on a cruise since 1998. I am taking my husband on his first ever in November and I cannot wait. It is our first real vacation, together (besides our Vegas wedding in 2004) AND without children for 5 freaking nights! (I tried for a 7 but my inlaws wouldn't be able to handle our monsters for that long lol). I am trying to get him to book for another next year, but until he is on the ship, he really does not know what he is in for. I do not do well sitting for long distances, so flying somewhere is going to be rough. So, anything out of Los Angeles is a BONUS in our book!

We truly envy anyone who is not retired and has enough vacation time to cruise more than once or at the most, twice per year.

Our biggest problem too is airfare to the cruise ports prevents us from going again soon.

Took us a while to save up all the vacation time! That and we got lucky with some good prices.

I hear you on the airfare. Thank goodness for point earning credit cards. All our flights have been free this year.

I think those who got hooked will cruise more, but it also happen to be the case that we are getting older (not younger) everyday. So it seems like the bug is worse with age, when in fact you are just doing it more because you like doing it. ;)

I think the older you get, the more you appreciate the conveniences -- only having to unpack once, not having to worry about driving anywhere or catching the train (unless you want to), being able to plan expenditures in advance instead of trying to find a place to eat breakfast on the cheap, etc.

When I was younger, I could travel with a backpack on my back, not caring about where I slept (lumpy mattress and rooms with bathrooms down the hall), not caring about where I ate (usually cheap street food and my digestive system would just deal), and going with the flow. Now that just sounds exhausting . . . and my job is exhausting enough. I go on vacations to *relax*.

Not only does it get better, you get smarter on how to make the best of each cruise you take, you learn from your mistakes in packing to much, eating to much and drinking to much. The best part is meeting wonderful people from all over and learning from there experiences and learning from the people that you meet at all the different ports that you get to visit, it makes you love being able to cruise. There are some that might not never get the chance to make it off of the island that they live on. I try to cruise every six months 15 days has been the max so far I take lots of pictures and share with the people that may never get the chance to cruise but can take the trip thru my pictures and stories. Cruise On!! :)

I possibly retire in 274 days. My job schedule affords me the time to take multiple cruises per year. Only thing holding me back is my bank account. I did several cruises in the mid/late 90's and into the very early 2000's. I really caught the bug in 2005 (13 cruises since then with two future cruises currently booked)) and have never looked back. When I retire I will have my 457 plan set up to be my vacation fund. I will be be able to take two or three cruises (airfare and incidentals included) every year for at least 15 years. I think I planned things pretty well......:D:D:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

DW and I have been cruising for over a decade now. We are DINKs in our 30s and are limited in our travel time because of work. The cruising bug bit us right after our first cruise and we typically take 1 cruise year and after that cruise plan ahead for the next year and book using an FCC we got on board.

Well, we are slated to take 3 cruises this year, I am out of FCCs, and have 4 booked currently all the way til early 2019 with one of our bucket lists cruises, a full transit Panama Canal on the Coral. It will be our first PC cruise and our first cruise over 10 days!

So there you have it. Clinical proof that as you get older, this cruise addiction gets worse, thankfully there is no cure in sight. Guess I need to start buying more FCCs on board.

[emoji41] happy cruising to you all!

I'd say it gets better with age. You learn there's no downside to FCC and always have at least 2 each (DH & DW) You learn that longer is better and you get increasingly able to take those long cruises.

You learn that your roll call will give you invaluable insight to ports, tours and things you didn't even know you had to know.

It's a Wonderful Life! Happy cruising.