Disappointed in Club Class

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:30 PM.
Loveland, CO
1,636 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by DrivesLikeMario
I totally agree with that and for that reason, it has no appeal to me.
Usually I book the obstructed view OV cabin mid aft or least expensive balcony mid-aft and hope for an free or cheap upgrade. I will be happy with what I booked but have that hope waiting for the cruise. Last two out of three cruises I have been successful in being up graded but only to a balcony cabin or better positioned balcony cabin.

This time I decided for my ??th birthday to splurge and not book my regular low-end balcony but a club class mini-suite on the Royal. It was only $150 more per day to do that. So now I have the extra room in a great location with a "bigger" balcony. But the main reason I want to try it is for the dining arrangements.

Was on the Ruby last September to Alaska and had anytime dining as I wanted to try it. What a disaster! I thought you didn't need reservations and could go anytime, right? Wrong! The first night we went, they were full and not able to take any more in that dining room and first asked us if we had a reservation!!!!!!! Seems for anytime dining you go the first day and make reservations for the rest of the cruise?! That sort of goes against the whole point of anytime dining, doesn't it? Anyway, they send us up a deck to traditional dining and we have to wait 20 minutes plus for them to get us in up there? So the thought that Club Class looks like it is a "real" anytime dining situation is the reason I want to try it. If it doesn't work than traditional dining is for me!

Pooh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Princess - 10 Nt. Southern Caribbean Medley - 03/2018
Ruby Princess - Alaska Inside Passage - 09/2016
RCCL Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean - 04/2016
Star Princess - Hawaiian Cruise -04/2015
HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, 03/11
Coral Princess(Grand Canal)- 02/10
HAL Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean - 11/08
Coral Princess- Panama- 10/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern - 02/07
Brilliance of the Seas - Med.(Venice) - 09/06
Celebrity Summit - Ultimate Southern - 04/05
HAL Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean - 05/04
HAL Rotterdam - Panama Canal - 10/03
Sea Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/00
MS Niew Amsterdam - Alaska - 06/91
NCL Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 06/90
Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas - 10/89
Hollywood, FL
309 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Skai
Sure seems to be how it appears.

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a waiter on Princess pull out a 'crumber' to sweep the table-cloth.
Our wait staff did so on my last cruise 5/28 -6/7 on Grand Princess, late seating of traditional dining.

One evening in Sabatini's, the table of 8 (four couples) all were in CC and they said they'd never sail any other way. They also were NOT in suites but rather CC mini-suites.
1,231 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by mellon1
They always comment when sweeping the crumbs that they are for their chickens! Try not to be too messy. It is the rolls that make the mess! YUMMO!
Pet peeve of mine is that they only seem to have the crusty rolls in the dining room, while upstairs in the buffet they have some real nice soft rolls.

Personally, my biggest concern with the CC dining is the impact it's having on the regular any time dining. From what I've heard a lot of these tables are sitting completely empty while people are getting turned away from any time dining because the restaurant is full. And then after some of the two-tops are done for a seating of any-time they turn them around to be used for club class, where they end up sitting empty while people can't get a table for two because this space is being wasted. Hopefully over time they'll learn how much they really need to keep in reserve, but it's still something that's being shoehorned into a space not designed for it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<table valign="top"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>Crown Princess 7/11/06 - The Big Tilt</td> <td>Grand Princess 2/17/07 - Western Caribbean (photos)</td></tr> <tr><td>Royal Princess 7/19/07 - Athens to Barcelona (photos)</td> <td>Crown Princess 3/22/08 - Classic Southern Caribbean RT San Juan (photos)</td></tr> <tr><td>Coral Princess 12/23/08 - Panama Canal (blog) (photos)</td> <td>Island Princes 8/3/09 - Alaska (blog) (photos)</td></tr> <tr><td>Royal Princess 12/18/09 - Amazon River (blog) (photos)</td> <td>Emerald Princess 8/8/10 - Eastern Carribbean (photos)</td></tr> <tr><td>Crown Princess 4/16/11 - Western Caribbean (photos)</td> <td>Star Princess 12/24/11 - South America (blog) (photos)</td></tr> <tr><td>Crown Princess 2/18/12 - Southern Caribbean</td> <td>Golden Princess 6/23/12 - Alaska</td></tr> <tr><td> Golden Princess 9/22/12 - Coastal</td><td>Star Princess 9/24/12 - Coastal for Elite!</td></tr> <tr><td>Emerald Princess 12/27/12 - Eastern Caribbean</td><td>Ocean Princess 7/15/13 - Baltics
</td></tr> <tr><td>Caribbean Princess 12/28/13 - Western Caribbean</td><td>Coral Princes 12/23/14 - Partial Panama Canal
</td></tr></tbody></table><table>
<tr>
<td>

</td>
<td>
</td></tr><tr>
<td>
</td></tr></table>
1,067 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by piper28
Pet peeve of mine is that they only seem to have the crusty rolls in the dining room, while upstairs in the buffet they have some real nice soft rolls.
I too hate those crusty hard rolls in the dining room! Finally my last Princess cruise, before club class was a thing, I asked if they had any softer rolls and our lovely waiter brought me a basket of the ones from the buffet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Check out my past reviews:

Regal Princess (Baltic) August/September 2017:
https://rrfpresident.blogspot.com/
Celebrity's Equinox (Jazz Fest Cruise) April/May 2017:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2499411
Princess' Island Princess (Panama Canal) October 2016: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2421363
Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas (Bermuda) June 2016: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369611
Princess' Caribbean Princess (British Isles) June 2013: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1869731
Carnival's Carnival Pride (Grand Turk/HMC/Freeport) June 2012: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1650986
Princess' Caribbean Princess (New England/Canada) August 2010:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1254785
Colorado
274 Posts
Joined Aug 2009

Personally, my biggest concern with the CC dining is the impact it's having on the regular any time dining. From what I've heard a lot of these tables are sitting completely empty while people are getting turned away from any time dining because the restaurant is full. And then after some of the two-tops are done for a seating of any-time they turn them around to be used for club class, where they end up sitting empty while people can't get a table for two because this space is being wasted. Hopefully over time they'll learn how much they really need to keep in reserve, but it's still something that's being shoehorned into a space not designed for it.
What you heard is not what I actually witnessed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess - Alaska 2017
Island Princess - Alaska cruise/tour 2017
Regal Princess - B2B Transatlantic and Baltic 2016
Carnival Freedom - Western Caribbean 2015
NCL Sun - Panama Canal-Tampa to Vancouver 2015
Carnival Splendor - Eastern Caribbean 2014
Carnival Splendor - Western Caribbean 2014
Ruby Princess - Greek Isles 2013
Star Princess - Hawaii/South Pacific 2013
Diamond Princess - Alaska Cruise/tour 2012
Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean 2011
NCL Pearl - Panama Canal-Miami to Los Angeles 2011
Crown Princess - British Isles 2010
NCL Jewel - Transatlantic 2009
Carnival Splendor - Mediterranean 2008
Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera 2007
Carnival Liberty - Mediterranean 2006
Swiss Pearl - Rhine 2003
Sky Princess - Alaska 2000
USCGC Midgett
USCGC Dallas
USCGC Owasco
USCGC Campbell
USCGC Spencer
137 Posts
Joined Dec 2015

The only time I personally saw space being taken from ATD was when we had a late port in Ensenada. EVERYONE herded to the MDR and of course CC had priority.

Other than that night, CC was steady, with very few empty tables. The space seemed fluid and really was utilized well.
Northern California
1,660 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
There are so many different opinions on CC and the value/worthiness of it. To each his own, right? We are usually inside room people because we can book more cruises, more often that way. We've done mini suites and I do love them, especially since we travel as a family of 4 but we got a really good deal on a CC cabin next year and I'm looking forward to trying it, but in the end, my family wants to be a stones throw from the IC so I suspect that will continue to happen for the foreseeable future.
We also enjoy a lot of specialty dining, so the opportunity to use the MDR is diminished for us. We often try to do Chef's table, and the specialty restaurants at least 2x each. On our upcoming CC cruise we will have to give up some things to use the MDR more. We also typically cruise 10-15 days.

I also think it's a good thing Princess now has CC for Suite guests. I agree that if you are going to be paying that much to cruise, you should get some perks.

I do enjoy hearing about other's experience in Club Class, and look forward to trying it out myself.
4,943 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Today we booked a CC midship on the Regal. Reading this thread I'm a bit confused? Is this about CC or crumb sweepers? Of course I jest but has this thread as gone a bit off course?
Palmdale, Ca
33,591 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
Could if be another procedure that varies based on the Princess cruise?

Based on the price difference & only the dining options being different than the elite benefits, Club Class won't be in our future. But for those willing to pay extra for CC features that's another option for them to consider.
Good point sir.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Loveland, CO
1,636 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by DrivesLikeMario
I totally agree with that and for that reason, it has no appeal to me.

However, if you are no where near elite status or even platinum, it might be worth it especially if you are cruising for a special occasion. I have decided to give it a try on our next cruise as usually I just go for a regular balcony and this way have a mini-suite in a sweet location. Also, from what I have read about the dining, it gives you the real anytime dining experience. On our last cruise, we did anytime for the first time, but didn't go until our second night (did Crown Grill first night). Needless to say I was blown away when I was asked if I had a reservation?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And when I told him I thought this was anytime dining he just gave me that look and proceeded to tell me (this was at 6:30pm) that he could not get me into the anytime dining restaurant at anytime that night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, for real. Then he sent me upstairs to the other dining room where I had to wait 30 more minutes to get in. It seems if allowed, anytime dining becomes traditional dining at your time as they were booked solid for the entire cruise!!!! We just ate really early from then on or did speciality. So, if the dining works as outlined, it will be great for us as we can go at ANY time and actually get in with little or no wait!!!

Will let you know how it goes!

Pooh
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Princess - 10 Nt. Southern Caribbean Medley - 03/2018
Ruby Princess - Alaska Inside Passage - 09/2016
RCCL Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean - 04/2016
Star Princess - Hawaiian Cruise -04/2015
HAL Maasdam - Southern Caribbean, 03/11
Coral Princess(Grand Canal)- 02/10
HAL Eurodam - Eastern Caribbean - 11/08
Coral Princess- Panama- 10/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern - 02/07
Brilliance of the Seas - Med.(Venice) - 09/06
Celebrity Summit - Ultimate Southern - 04/05
HAL Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean - 05/04
HAL Rotterdam - Panama Canal - 10/03
Sea Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/00
MS Niew Amsterdam - Alaska - 06/91
NCL Norway - Eastern Caribbean - 06/90
Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas - 10/89
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,727 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Pooh...based on your description you apparently first went to the Anytime dining room that has traditional assigned first seating.

On all of my cruises since anytime dining was implemented one of the ATD restaurants will have an early traditional dining. Thus one will be by reservation only for a first seating & then become ATD at about 7:30.

It's been posted that sometimes there's a limited number of reservations accepted in the open anytime dining rooms. Apparently the procedure will vary & is a decision made by the maître d'. Although they never fill a restaurant open for Anytime dining with reservations but they do use one of them for an early traditional dining seating at about 5:30.
Costa Mesa, California
4,117 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by Skai
Sure seems to be how it appears.

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a waiter on Princess pull out a 'crumber' to sweep the table-cloth.
They were used on Island Princess just two months ago. I was surprised because I had not seen them for a while.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rick & Vita
156 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by PoohUnderstands
However, if you are no where near elite status or even platinum, it might be worth it especially if you are cruising for a special occasion. I have decided to give it a try on our next cruise as usually I just go for a regular balcony and this way have a mini-suite in a sweet location. Also, from what I have read about the dining, it gives you the real anytime dining experience. On our last cruise, we did anytime for the first time, but didn't go until our second night (did Crown Grill first night). Needless to say I was blown away when I was asked if I had a reservation?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And when I told him I thought this was anytime dining he just gave me that look and proceeded to tell me (this was at 6:30pm) that he could not get me into the anytime dining restaurant at anytime that night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, for real. Then he sent me upstairs to the other dining room where I had to wait 30 more minutes to get in. It seems if allowed, anytime dining becomes traditional dining at your time as they were booked solid for the entire cruise!!!! We just ate really early from then on or did speciality. So, if the dining works as outlined, it will be great for us as we can go at ANY time and actually get in with little or no wait!!!

Will let you know how it goes!

Pooh
Please double check that a mini-suite qualifies you for club class. I recall seeing several threads that mini-suites do not include most suite perks.
Nevermind. I saw something on Princess that listed club class mini suites, so you should be good.
5 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by Mo_Cruising
Just off the Regal. Because we were in a full suite we were eligible for Club Class dining. One good thing was we didn't have to wait to be seated. That was virtually the only difference we saw between Club Class and Anytime dining. If there were any special presentations or dishes offered, we were not made aware of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Club Class is a joke. Putting lipstick on a pig.

Marvin Schwartz
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
5,646 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Marvin Schwartz

Marvin Schwartz
An expensive joke at that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
s600/781/67/85
15 - 25 - 30
Diamond Bar, CA
873 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Originally posted by Marvin Schwartz

Marvin Schwartz
Originally posted by floridalover5623
An expensive joke at that.
I'm not sure that I agree with either of these two comments.

This is the first thread that has fostered negative comments from people who have actually booked Club Class passage. It seems that prior to this discussion, people seem very pleased with it and plan to book it again.

I also don't think Princess spent a lot of money on it. What did they do? They reserved a section of an already existing room and installed some signs directing people. I really don't think the added menu features are particularly expensive, and I know that the wine that they are leaving in the cabin is very cheap. Regardless, they then raised the price of the cabins. So, I'm pretty confident that if there was any increase in cost, it has been more than covered by increased revenue in cabin bookings.

For what it's worth, I have never booked Club Class, and I really don't anticipate any scenario where I might do so. Regardless, it appears to work for many people, and my gut feel is that Princess is happy with the response.

Now, if my "gut feel" is incorrect, and Princess is having difficulty selling Club Class eligible cabins. They can discontinue the practice at practically no cost--just pull down those signs.
43 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
My wife and I were on the Emerald Princess in February for a New Zealand cruise. We were in a full suite and very much enjoyed the Club Class dining. We met interesting people every night and the service was excellent.

After a somewhat disappointing meal in the Crown Grill on departure night, we ate the rest of our meals in Club Class. We decided to forego the free specialty restaurant meal from our TA.

We never had to wait for a table, regardless of the time we arrived. There were off menu items every night. All in all, we both enjoyed it.

We're off to England to do the same thing on the Caribbean Princess on June 30th and then the Pacific Princess in January. We've booked full suites on both cruises to get Club Class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums