Celebrity Cancelled the middle cruise of a back to back to back.....

caymancouple

Bummer. We had booked the Infinity next January on the 5th, the 10th, and the 14th. Celebrity cancelled the one on the 10th for a charter. I could do the Mariner for a 3 day, but I feel like it is overpriced for a 3 day, and in no way does it compare to an Aqua class on the Infinity. Celebrity offered me a $100 OBC to rebook immediately. but... there is nothing I want to book immediately. If I cancel the 2 on either side, then my travel agent is going to charge me a $50 per person per cruise cancellation fee. so bummed

Bummer. . If I cancel the 2 on either side, then my travel agent is going to charge me a $50 per person per cruise cancellation fee. so bummed

THAT is ridiculous...you shouldn't pay a penalty because part of your trip was cancelled by Celebrity...I'd be looking for another TA or booking on my own...

Several of the online, big box TA's charge a $50 'booking fee' if you cancel. The middle cruise was cancelled by X, so they won't charge for that. However, the other two are being cancelled voluntarily by the OP. So, by their contract and policies, the TA has the right to charge the $50 per person per cruise 'booking fee.'

I've been stung by this too. I look at it as the possible cost of using an online, big box TA. My choice, my 'risk'. Some TA's charge a fee just to make the booking (look at your small print).

If I were the OP, I'd be looking to stay someplace in the city that is used for departure/arrival - I'm guessing it's Ft Lauderdale or MIA. Three days in either place could be a pretty nice break.

THAT is ridiculous...you shouldn't pay a penalty because part of your trip was cancelled by Celebrity...I'd be looking for another TA or booking on my own...

I agree completely. IMO I would look for another TA that doesn't charge any separate fees not directly charged by the cruise lines for originating, modifying, or cancelling a cruise booked through them. Unfortunately many TA's do charge these fees - which is nothing more than an additional revenue stream for them directly out of your pocket.

All TA"s receive their compensation through commissions from the cruise lines for their services to you. Why should you pay them more? Fortunately with a little research you can find many who do not charge these fees.

If the three cruises were booked separately, with different confirmation numbers, I agree that the 1st and 3rd are being cancelled by the OP and will trigger penalty. On the other hand, if this was treated as a single booking with a single confirmation number, the OP should not be financially liable for Celebrity's failure to provide the contracted services.

Given the circumstances, the TA should realize that this isn't a normal cancellation and, if only for good customer relations, should waive any cancellation fees.

If it were me and we're talking Florida, I would just add a land vaca in the middle. I think most TA's would consider waiving the cancellation fee this time if you are a regular customer. If you are not, they likely would stick to their policy.

I don't like TA cancellation charges either, but the benefits I get from booking with them far outweigh any possible cancellation charges in the future. I get additional perks and often extra OBC (which is refundable BTW), as well as a loyalty bonus when I book the next time. I often (not always) get a lower price for the cabin through a group rate booking. I also have a person to call if problems crop up. If anyone has a great TA which adds those extras and doesn't charge a cancellation fee I would love to have their name (and I know it can't be posted here, but would be interested to hear if anyone has one like that)

Several of the online, big box TA's charge a $50 'booking fee' if you cancel. The middle cruise was cancelled by X, so they won't charge for that. However, the other two are being cancelled voluntarily by the OP. So, by their contract and policies, the TA has the right to charge the $50 per person per cruise 'booking fee.'

I've been stung by this too. I look at it as the possible cost of using an online, big box TA. My choice, my 'risk'. Some TA's charge a fee just to make the booking (look at your small print).

If I were the OP, I'd be looking to stay someplace in the city that is used for departure/arrival - I'm guessing it's Ft Lauderdale or MIA. Three days in either place could be a pretty nice break.

Prior to transferring my current booking to a TA, I made sure that my warehouse store TA had no cancellation or change fees - and I am still getting 8% back. It pays to check out all the details.

Ft. L. It was not a B2B2B that I would have chosen - 1st & 3rd legs were the same Western to Key West & Cozumel. Must have just wanted to spend time on the ship.

As I remind DW, “It is the journey, not the destination”. Some people enjoy the cruise.

Bummer. We had booked the Infinity next January on the 5th, the 10th, and the 14th. Celebrity cancelled the one on the 10th for a charter. I could do the Mariner for a 3 day, but I feel like it is overpriced for a 3 day, and in no way does it compare to an Aqua class on the Infinity. Celebrity offered me a $100 OBC to rebook immediately. but... there is nothing I want to book immediately. If I cancel the 2 on either side, then my travel agent is going to charge me a $50 per person per cruise cancellation fee. so bummed

So sorry....is there not an 11 or 14 night cruise on Celebrity (or another line) that you could change to? You would probably get more interesting ports that way too.

With the middle cruise disappearing it leaves you with a very disjointed experience and a lot of luggage carrying if you swap mid cruise to another ship or hotel only to have another boarding day...

Perhaps your TA could investigate this with Celebrity...If she was rescheduling your cruise not cancelling it perhaps those charges could be waived...

I would have a serious conversation with your TA about waiving the charge. Certainly it is not your fault this happened. If they are a reputable agent they will not charge you. If they do I would not use them again.

Keith

Our TA never charged us a commission or penalty, she has a office in town given the service for locals. The rules for the booking are Celebrity rules, or airline rules, never charged us, all charges to the CC are made directly by X. Of course we have a disadvantage in not getting the perks of the big companies, I prefer a friendly deal and no waiting time on the phone. It's a person-to-person deal, I do not want to be the Customer number Z. I do not understand how they spend a lot on the cruise and haggle some dollars in discounts and perks.

I agree completely. IMO I would look for another TA that doesn't charge any separate fees not directly charged by the cruise lines for originating, modifying, or cancelling a cruise booked through them. Unfortunately many TA's do charge these fees - which is nothing more than an additional revenue stream for them directly out of your pocket.

All TA"s receive their compensation through commissions from the cruise lines for their services to you. Why should you pay them more? Fortunately with a little research you can find many who do not charge these fees.

Time Out here... TA's only receive compensation for bookings actually used. They still have their on-going expenses regardless and cruise lines, airlines, tour companies etc. do not pay unless the mode is taken/used.

If a booking agent is of a certain size (and growing or not) then it is not usually feasible for them to do work and not gain something from it no matter how nominal, their base expenses continue on regardless.

I would venture to guess that many people who post such musings work for companies or larger entities and not on a commission basis, who gets paid rather the company/entity got paid or not for a cancellation of a contract or such. The only recourse for a company/entity is to lay people off if there were too many contracts cancelled or lost in a particular time frame.

For the self-employed or small/medium business owner, it is a completely different story and expense/cost structure. Just in case one did not know.

As others have noted, if you book another sailing with them, the fee can possibly be waived, net net they get a commission, albeit reduced, for doing more work for you. Very few of us like working for nothing unless it is a volunteer position or we can.

bon voyage

Agree. The agency should wave the fee, or get Celebrity to pay them the fee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not only should the OP not incur any fee for the cancellation, but they should receive a Future Booking Credit from Celebrity. If an agent under these circumstances charged a cancellation fee I'd pay the fee for the other cruises and change Agents. Any Agent should be able to resolve this situation to the benefit of a reasonable client.

If it were me and we're talking Florida, I would just add a land vaca in the middle. I think most TA's would consider waiving the cancellation fee this time if you are a regular customer. If you are not, they likely would stick to their policy.

I don't like TA cancellation charges either, but the benefits I get from booking with them far outweigh any possible cancellation charges in the future. I get additional perks and often extra OBC (which is refundable BTW), as well as a loyalty bonus when I book the next time. I often (not always) get a lower price for the cabin through a group rate booking. I also have a person to call if problems crop up. If anyone has a great TA which adds those extras and doesn't charge a cancellation fee I would love to have their name (and I know it can't be posted here, but would be interested to hear if anyone has one like that)

I'm pretty darn sure that we're using the same big box online TA. (y) and I agree totally with your reasoning.

Cancellation fees are charged by many industries when the company provides a service but the customer later changes their mind. Restocking fees for returned retail goods. No refund policies for LOTS of purchases including airfare, hotels, and cruises. Even missed doctors appointments can incur a charge.

I see nothing wrong with charging me for someone's time if I change my mind later AS LONG AS it's disclosed ahead of time.

I'm with Phoenix dream. Find me a TA who doesn't charge a small, reasonable booking fee IF YOU CANCEL, who gives me the same prices and incentives as mine, I'll be happy to switch.

PS if I've bought travel insurance like everyone should do and cancel for one of the acceptable reasons under the policy, they cover the small TA cancellation charges.

I met the VP at Celebrity whose area of responsibility includes Charters. She told me that a ship isn't chartered unless fewer than 25% of the cabins are sold and that the charter group pays for compensation given to those who are cancelled. If that's true, I have no doubt that it is, then it costs Celebrity nothing to show "good will". I've been scheduled to take a number of cruises that were cancelled by Celebrity for one reason or another and have always been satisfied.

I met the VP at Celebrity whose area of responsibility includes Charters. She told me that a ship isn't chartered unless fewer than 25% of the cabins are sold and that the charter group pays for compensation given to those who are cancelled. If that's true, I have no doubt that it is, then it costs Celebrity nothing to show "good will". I've been scheduled to take a number of cruises that were cancelled by Celebrity for one reason or another and have always been satisfied.

Very interesting. I should have raised a fuss and gotten the Austrian doctors who chartered our Nov. 2017 cruise to pay the difference for the cruise I had to book to replace it. Not really, but still annoyed with X over this.

It was a one of a kind itinerary and the so called replacements were in no way comparable. Booked a different X cruise which cost more and was not better in order to do post cruise extension we'd planned.

I know that all cruise lines do charters. We cruise regularly with three cruise lines and I read all three boards daily. It seems that this is a problem more with Celebrity than the others. Most of the others I've read about here were Asia cruises like mine. Had not read about Caribbean charters but that is now something to consider, especially since one might end up on the hook for cancellation fees. In my case I had to rebook in order not to lose the insurance, agency fee, etc. we agreed to with the online travel agency. We did want to go on our land extension and that online TA went out of its way to let us join another travel group and do this.

I know that all cruise lines do charters. We cruise regularly with three cruise lines and I read all three boards daily. It seems that this is a problem more with Celebrity than the others.

Maybe you don't read NCL? I think that if one added up the number of cruises cancelled for charters or any other reason, they would beat Celebrity. It's a serious problem with them. But when it happened to us two months ago, the big box online TA waived the cancel fee as it was not our fault. When we cancelled a different cruise by choice, they did charge it. And rightly so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe you don't read NCL? I think that if one added up the number of cruises cancelled for charters or any other reason, they would beat Celebrity. It's a serious problem with them. But when it happened to us two months ago, the big box online TA waived the cancel fee as it was not our fault. When we cancelled a different cruise by choice, they did charge it. And rightly so.

Do you have statistics? I'm sure NCl has charters as well. All lines do. We, however, are platinum plus on NCL, elite on Celebrity, and four star on HAL. Only Celebrity has taken our cruise for a charter and (don't tell DH) it cost us thousands.