Ladies what is your secret?

i always gain 5 to 7 pounds when i cruise. Tell me your secrets to not gaining while cruising. I'm not into exercise or fitness and usually do not eat more than twice a day when at home but it is so tempting with all that food not to eat 3 maybe 4 times a day. Then there are the wonderful drinks. So please enlighten me.

You just try not to go stupid lol I've been on 11 cruises and never gained weight. I try not to eat more than I would eat at home, and spend a lot of time walking around the ship. I have never had a drinks package, so I think that helps. Have got one on our upcoming cruise, but still doubt I will drink very much. Make sure you drink loads of water!

i always gain 5 to 7 pounds when i cruise. Tell me your secrets to not gaining while cruising. I'm not into exercise or fitness and usually do not eat more than twice a day when at home but it is so tempting with all that food not to eat 3 maybe 4 times a day. Then there are the wonderful drinks. So please enlighten me.

Tell your assistant waiter to remove the bread basket from the table.

DO NOT GO TO THE BUFFET.

Put diet soda in that Rum & Coke or Vodka & Sprite.

DO NOT DRINK FROU FROU BLENDER DRINKS.

Use the stairs instead of the elevators.

Buy Spanx.

:D :D :D

Not dinking alcohol is the biggest thing for me to not gain weight.

I don’t even drink anymore and it saves me so much money and calories.

Use the stairs everywhere instead of taking the elevators! Makes a big difference to walk a lot

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never take the elevator, also walk the track 2 miles a day. Come back after a 10-16nite cruise about 2-3 pounds heavier but sure that and more is Muscle as Winter/snow staying inside where I was before the cruise...

I cruise a lot on the mega ships...all that space quickly adds up the steps! I definitely drink, but most of my drinks are just liquor and juice - less calories than soda mixers or frozen drinks. And I definitely eat more often then at home, but I probably don't eat that much more. Meaning I don't eat until I'm stuffed and my lunch is usually a smaller meal. I get hungry I go eat a few things, but I'm not piling my plate high and I don't feel like I need to finish my plate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Years ago, I used to gain weight on every cruise. Couldn't figure it out since I walked more on the ship than at home and watched everything I ate. My clothes would be tight and shoes, oh my! I finally realized a lot of it was water weight...I think just breathing that salt air does it! Anyway, talked to the Dr and he prescribed a mild diuretic ...haven't had to deal with swollen feet or weight gain since. I do remember a number of years ago there was a thread very similar to this and people were recommending (I think) taking sour cherry to help with water retention. Unfortunately, this really seems to affect us women so much more than men. :(:(:(:(:(

Eating only twice a day plays havoc with your glycemic index, even if you are avoiding carbs. It is better to eat 4-6 smaller meals or 3 small meals w/ 2 nutritious snacks added in between. Like at breakfast have a smaller portion of eggs and share a side of bacon with a travel companion, then ask for the fresh fruit or yogurt to go, to enjoy that halfway between breakfast and lunch. By spacing out these mini meals about 2-3 hours apart it helps to cut down on cravings and evens out your energy levels.

Another thing to try is when cooling off in the pool or soothing muscles in the hot tub, try doing water exercises, like walking in place or leg lifts. Because of the water's resistance you burn a few more calories than doing these on land. As mentioned the stairs are always a good way to get a few more steps in.

Also I would never tell someone to give up alcohol, as I find a moderate amount does make my vacation more enjoyable. But I would suggest for every glass of adult beverage enjoyed that you also have a glass of water that is at least equal to the size of the drink just consumed.

I rarely gain weight on a cruise. Here are some tips:

1) One dessert a day, usually in the evening.

2) Mostly salad bar for lunch. Avoid hot dogs, burgers and fries.

3) One serving of a main course. I have been on cruises where a table mate had three main courses at one sitting.

4) Do an hour at the fitness center every sea day.

5) Avoid sweet alcoholic drinks with extra sugar.

Funny. What do you expect?

Personally, it does not bother me if I gain a couple of pounds. I want to enjoy my cruise to the fullest extent and not have to watch every little thing I eat or drink. I love trying new things, especially if it is something I do not make at home. I just take the extra couple of pounds off when I get home!

Find things that you enjoy doing that are active. I hate going to a gym or walking a track but I love dancing in clubs and at deck patties (I am terrible at it, but I enjoy it anyway) and running about the ship on scavenger hunts, and I very much enjoy exploring ports on foot. That keeps me quite active without ever feeling like I am forced into some boring exercise routine.

Years ago, I used to gain weight on every cruise. Couldn't figure it out since I walked more on the ship than at home and watched everything I ate. My clothes would be tight and shoes, oh my! I finally realized a lot of it was water weight...I think just breathing that salt air does it! Anyway, talked to the Dr and he prescribed a mild diuretic ...haven't had to deal with swollen feet or weight gain since. I do remember a number of years ago there was a thread very similar to this and people were recommending (I think) taking sour cherry to help with water retention. Unfortunately, this really seems to affect us women so much more than men. :(:(:(:(:(

I eat asparagus whenever I can get some. It too cuts water retention. I’ve here recently adopted the eat a healthy breakfast, lunch and take my own low carb snacks, then eat whatever for dinner in moderation. I gained 2lbs on this cruise, but it came off the next day. I used to indulge all week in food but still stay very active, however I had such bad water retention I knew I needed to do something different.

Ok I am not female but I do have a weight problem and I thought I'd chip in because it might help.

As I am disabled I can't do the fitness thing. Can't even do the stairs or lots of walking.

Putting on even a few extra pounds makes things difficult for me given my health problems. Yet I like my food. I would even call myself a foodie. I also like my cocktails although I am not a heavy drinker.

So for different reasons, I can relate to OP's question.

For me, I have learnt to moderate rather than exclude. I don't generally go for the healthy low calorie options but I try not to over eat or eat too frequently. Two meals a day and no snacks works for me.

What i do is try to eat a good amount of fruit only (stay away from bagels, donuts, pancakes etc. omelet is probably ok) for breakfast and then a humongus salad from the little cafe in the solarium (i forget the name) but they are made to order and are fabulous. Make sure you get a protein in it like chicken or whatever they have or get a salad and then a wrap there that has a protein in it. Then i eat whatever i want for dinner ( i am not a big dessert eater) I am more of a carb problem! Usually i have gained no more then 2 lbs. maximum and many times none at all. I drink 2-3 glasses of wine each evening. I don't snack between meals.

Just did 12 nights and gained zero. Skip the bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, pizza, and dessert at most meals. Skip the sugary alcoholic drinks. Stick with diet cola or "soda water" as your mixer. Treat yourself only here and there with a roll or a dessert. Not every meal and not every day. But don't feel "tortured" either. Don't go to meals starving. Eat 3 meals a day plus an afternoon snack if you are eating dinner late. Try to keep all meals/snacks as low-carb as possible.

I eat and drink whatever I want on a cruise, and every time I come home having lost a pound. Granted I'm not a huge eater or drinker, but I do indulge much more than at home just because it's all there and available.

I think the secret is activity- on port days it's not unusual for me to be doing 20-25k steps if it's a sightseeing destination to be explored. If it's a beach destination I'm swimming, snorkelling, paddle boarding, etc. On sea days we sometimes hit the gym, and we also love the dance classes, rock climbing- whatever's available. You can eat 6000 calories a day, as long as you're being active enough to burn it off you won't gain weight! (not advocating this 6000 calories being solely through alcohol or desserts, before someone jumps in here)

I tried to persuade my doctor that I should be prescribed cruises as they're good for my health, but it hasn't worked...