Cruise demographic / sociopolitical status

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:54 PM.
2,049 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by codex57
LOL, the Norwegian section of CC is an anomaly IMO. There's a particularly high % of posts regarding Haven suites and like you said, numerically, there aren't a lot of suites on each ship. I jump around to different cruise line sections and the Norwegian one is pretty unique IMO. You get a much broader cross section of posters in the other cruise line sections. Norwegian's seems particularly stratified into Suite posters and total newbies.
I did notice all the people that are in Haven Suites. Only in my dreams—-after winning a lottery!! Actually I follow on here all the time, and I only book inside cabins to save costs, as I’m a retired RN, and money is a lot tighter! Lol! As I said, I can dream of a Haven Suite, but I will never see one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regent Sun February 1995
Carnival Ecstasy 2/7/2000
Carnival Destiny 12/9/2001
Carnival Spirit 11/16/2002
Carnival Victory 9/6/2004
Carnival Triumph 1/6/2007
RCCL Independence of the Seas February 2014
RCCL Oasis of the Seas February 2015
NCL Getaway January 2017
NCL Getaway January 2018
Carnival Breeze March 2, 2019
Carnival Magic April 11, 2020
5,014 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We're a working class family and we are fortunate enough to get to cruise once a year. We never discuss our politics, religion and prefer other passengers to do the same. We usually cruise Royal and Celebrity. If I only depended on these boards, I'd think we were just about the only ones that were thrilled to be in an oceanview balcony or a CP balcony. There will always be people that say they can't settle for anything less than a GS or an Owner's suite. If that were the case there wouldn't be a fully booked ship ever sailing. We've cruise inside and oceanview balcony and everything in between and we've never had a bad cruise. You won't ever find a post from me saying we scored a great deal on a GS or OS. We can't afford it and that's okay with us, but if that's what floats your boat and you can afford it, good for you. I don't begrudge anyone that can afford it. Heck, when I win the lottery, I might book an OS and my review will be awesome.
245 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by marktwothousand
i took my first cruise this year in the Mediterranean and liked it so much I’m gonna take my First Caribbean cruise in January on NCL. I found the people on the chat boards and on the ship to be pretty relaxed, mostly 40-50 or higher and noticed a fair amount of party-goers and liberal.

I am finding that US-based cruising in general is anOther story. Everyone I have been interacting with seems friendly and helpful. I do sense a lot more of a conservative crowd out of the US-based cruises, tell me what you think:
- generally a more conservative (small ‘c’) crowd.
- more likely to be from republican areas of the US
- non-urban crowd...many southerners and midwesterners but not a lot of New York City or LA people
- people with big families with a big emphasis on celebrating family events like anniversaries (lots of using “DH” and “DS” acronyms etc”)
- mostly married - few divorcées
- Christian / Catholic
- tend to have an attitude of “if you don’t like the way things are, don’t ask for special treatment or accommodations” crowd...”freedom of speech” proponents, tend not to pay much attention to being “politically correct”
- prefer the safety of a ship and organized excursions than going to resorts or organizing excursions themselves
- in married couples, there seem to be more wives doing the online organizing (ie meets and greets)
- prefer a tip-based service tourist industry instead of an all-inclusive flat rate fare, where employees are paid fair and equal wages for the work They do

I am not saying that this is how everyone is obviously but I have definitely Noticed a trend of this demographic on the US based cruises i follow compared to the European ones. do you guys agree this tends to be the majority of the crowd I will find on a US based cruise or is it just a very vocal and Noticeable group?

As someone who can get along with everyone, I’m always open to associating with anyone I have things in common with, but I wonder if that might be less On my upcoming Caribbean cruise than my prior cruise.

What do you guys think?
You really get along with everyone? Don't take this the wrong way, but from your post, one wouldn't think so.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wales UK
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
There's been some remarkable assumptions made, and some great humour and I would love to share a table with a few of you. As I said I am not the kind of person some seem to expect to find on their cruises. I suspect there are more like me who don't have an affluent lifestyle, but have always had a desire even if only once, to experience a Cruise. Families, couples can spend years of saving so they can achieve that once in a lifetime experience. Reading some of the posts I have been filled with dread. This is the year I achieve a 50 year long ambition but reading about demographics, suites, balconies, exclusivity makes me wonder if I have let myself and my husband in for a nightmare rather than a dream.
The Third Coast - Nashville
8,743 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Please don't let some of the posts here deter you from realizing a dream. You will meet a cross section of the population on your cruise, and most of them will be ordinary people just like you. I'm a civil servant and cruise once or twice a year. It may be in steerage, but I'm on the ship.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app
CA
2,119 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by elles5
There's been some remarkable assumptions made, and some great humour and I would love to share a table with a few of you. As I said I am not the kind of person some seem to expect to find on their cruises. I suspect there are more like me who don't have an affluent lifestyle, but have always had a desire even if only once, to experience a Cruise. Families, couples can spend years of saving so they can achieve that once in a lifetime experience. Reading some of the posts I have been filled with dread. This is the year I achieve a 50 year long ambition but reading about demographics, suites, balconies, exclusivity makes me wonder if I have let myself and my husband in for a nightmare rather than a dream.
LOL, you're fine. It's all about priorities. Even in my neighborhood, with it's stereotype suburb (very similar income levels, 2.5 kids, etc), you see wildly different priorities. We travel. But our cars are relatively crappy. Neighbor travels once every several years, but drives really nice cars. Another never travels, but they've got lots of toys. Another built a pool and also never travels. With a finite amount of money, most people have to pick and choose. Even on more expensive cruises, you see a WIDE cross section of people. Some saved up for years to do it. Others can go every few months. On our last cruise, we sat next to this really young couple on their honeymoon. They had a backyard wedding, lived with parents, etc. Just so they could afford to go on that cruise.
2,049 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by codex57
LOL, you're fine. It's all about priorities. Even in my neighborhood, with it's stereotype suburb (very similar income levels, 2.5 kids, etc), you see wildly different priorities. We travel. But our cars are relatively crappy. Neighbor travels once every several years, but drives really nice cars. Another never travels, but they've got lots of toys. Another built a pool and also never travels. With a finite amount of money, most people have to pick and choose. Even on more expensive cruises, you see a WIDE cross section of people. Some saved up for years to do it. Others can go every few months. On our last cruise, we sat next to this really young couple on their honeymoon. They had a backyard wedding, lived with parents, etc. Just so they could afford to go on that cruise.
Yes, they will be fine, and you pegged it right about priorities. We spent a good share of our married life raising 5 children. We were lucky if we could scrap together a tent camping trip once a year. And that still involved me cooking and doing laundry! Our first cruise we used my hubby’s bonus money for for our 25th Anniversary in 1995. It was on a line that was old and not mainstream, and went bankrupt shortly after. It had zero entertainment, but for the little time we had on board, we vowed to keep trying to cruise. We were bitten by the cruise bug. So, our priorities changed, from buying “stuff” to saving for “experiences”. We started a vacation fund, that we treat just like any bill, and deposit money to it every pay day. Now that we are retired we can only deposit once a month from our retirement income, but if we didn’t, that money could easily have been spent on “stuff” rather than “experiences”. We are lucky enough to try to cruise once a year if we are smart, and choose only an inside cabin, and only on a rare special occasion book a specialty restaurant.
So, you see, we are not all 5 cruise a year in a suite people. Just your average every day people just wanting to cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regent Sun February 1995
Carnival Ecstasy 2/7/2000
Carnival Destiny 12/9/2001
Carnival Spirit 11/16/2002
Carnival Victory 9/6/2004
Carnival Triumph 1/6/2007
RCCL Independence of the Seas February 2014
RCCL Oasis of the Seas February 2015
NCL Getaway January 2017
NCL Getaway January 2018
Carnival Breeze March 2, 2019
Carnival Magic April 11, 2020
Toronto, Canada
4,449 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
This is the year I achieve a 50 year long ambition but reading about demographics, suites, balconies, exclusivity makes me wonder if I have let myself and my husband in for a nightmare rather than a dream.
Honestly, it depends on what you're dream is.......if your dream is to go on a cruise, go and enjoy. If your dream is to cruise in the style of 30 or 40 years ago, you might be in for some disappointment, since a lot of things have changed about the cruise industry and the cruise experience since then. I hope it's the former, and you have a wonderful time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wales UK
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by calliopecruiser
Honestly, it depends on what you're dream is.......if your dream is to go on a cruise, go and enjoy. If your dream is to cruise in the style of 30 or 40 years ago, you might be in for some disappointment, since a lot of things have changed about the cruise industry and the cruise experience since then. I hope it's the former, and you have a wonderful time.
I am now 8 days away from my cruise, leaving from Cardiff on 16th May on a grand old lady who appears to be like Marmite. The Marco Polo is loved and derided in equal measure. Fortunately I have always reserved judgement until I can have the experience myself, although naturally I prefer to read the more positive comments. I have learned a lot studying these boards, having had plenty of time to do so after being medically retired. Putting people into categories and expecting them to behave according to expectation must be a bit like herding cats, impossible. What makes life so rich and fascinating is individuality, this is one of the things I am looking forward to most, meeting new people with different experiences and outlook. The ship is my destination as Iceland is not ideal for those of us less mobile. Nevertheless I will manage a couple of excursions and see something of this stunningly different country. I have long since stopped worrying about demographics. Our ship is modest and elderly by comparison, but I am going to spend ten days sailing and that in itself is the reason behind my cruise ambition, not so much the arrival as the journey. I haven't any pre-conceived expectations the whole thing is one huge adventure and for several weeks now I've been counting the days, like a child waiting for Christmas! My dream is just as quoted, to go on the Cruise and enjoy it, just have the experience, join in where I am able and let the joy of being at sea shape the dream.
I come from a land down under
26,235 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by Roz
How many times have you been asked about sexual preferences??? Good grief!

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app
I ask all the time, how else can I find out if your kinky is my kinky
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Tacoma, Wa, USA
9,182 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Originally posted by GUT2407
It’s a fine line between kinky and a feather
Texas
103 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
I am now 8 days away from my cruise, leaving from Cardiff on 16th May on a grand old lady who appears to be like Marmite. The Marco Polo is loved and derided in equal measure. Fortunately I have always reserved judgement until I can have the experience myself, although naturally I prefer to read the more positive comments. I have learned a lot studying these boards, having had plenty of time to do so after being medically retired. Putting people into categories and expecting them to behave according to expectation must be a bit like herding cats, impossible. What makes life so rich and fascinating is individuality, this is one of the things I am looking forward to most, meeting new people with different experiences and outlook. The ship is my destination as Iceland is not ideal for those of us less mobile. Nevertheless I will manage a couple of excursions and see something of this stunningly different country. I have long since stopped worrying about demographics. Our ship is modest and elderly by comparison, but I am going to spend ten days sailing and that in itself is the reason behind my cruise ambition, not so much the arrival as the journey. I haven't any pre-conceived expectations the whole thing is one huge adventure and for several weeks now I've been counting the days, like a child waiting for Christmas! My dream is just as quoted, to go on the Cruise and enjoy it, just have the experience, join in where I am able and let the joy of being at sea shape the dream.
Elles5,

With such a positive, and open attitude, you are bound to have a magnificent trip! You are a talented writer, and I would love to read a trip report from you after your adventure!

Have a beautiful cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailin' Gal
~~/)~~
Wales UK
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by Sailin Gal
Elles5,

With such a positive, and open attitude, you are bound to have a magnificent trip! You are a talented writer, and I would love to read a trip report from you after your adventure!

Have a beautiful cruise!
Thank you for your kind words, my journal is packed already and I would love to write a report of my trip. Whatever happens I've had almost six months of excited planning as I recovered from surgery, I've imagined so much, read so much that I almost feel as though I've been already.
8,743 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by GUT2407
Well, you can ask but I may not answer.

Roz
Connecticut
13,823 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Thank you for your kind words, my journal is packed already and I would love to write a report of my trip. Whatever happens I've had almost six months of excited planning as I recovered from surgery, I've imagined so much, read so much that I almost feel as though I've been already.
Enjoy Marco Polo - I am glad to hear she is still sailing. I sailed her through the Aegean from Istanbul to Athens in 1996; even then she was "mature", and attracted a comparable passenger mix - more interested in being at sea and seeing what is across the water than shipboard bells and whistles.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1)
NYC
13 Posts
Joined May 2018
I hope it's an amazing trip! Iceland is a beautiful country, so I really recommend doing some excursions if it's feasible. The seafood is also excellent, unsurprisingly.

I'm booked to take my first cruise (RCI, Grandeur of the Seas) next January. I have family and friends in a couple of the ports of call, so it'll be fun to see them, and I'm interested to see what Nassau is like, but mostly the ship is my destination too: I'm looking forward to having my biggest decision be whether to go swimming or sit in the solarium with a book.
OH
947 Posts
Joined May 2017
In my experience, this forum is nothing like the demographics of the Carnival ships I have been on. Of course demographics don't speak for everyone. No matter how close everyone's interests may be, when you get 2-6,000 people in one location, there are bound to be a lot of differences. There is also going to be a clear difference between a Carnival cruise to the Bahamas vs a Seaborn cruise to Iceland.

Honestly, I was quite surprised at the Carnival passengers. I expected a lot of scum. By and large, it was very laid back, and relaxing. Sure, there are few that I wouldn't have mind if they stayed home, but I could count them on one hand every time. I actually preferred that crowd to the snooty crowd.
Toronto, Canada
4,449 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by Joebucks
I actually preferred that crowd to the snooty crowd.
Who had the snooty crowd? (or, rather, which ship/route did you encounter the snooty crowd?)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NYC
13 Posts
Joined May 2018
Originally posted by Joebucks
Honestly, I was quite surprised at the Carnival passengers. I expected a lot of scum. By and large, it was very laid back, and relaxing.
That’s interesting—I had ruled out Carnival because they seemed like party ships, and I want a more laidback, relaxed experience. Should I reconsider?
8,743 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
There's Carnival and there's Carnival. When I did a 12-day Hawaiian cruise on Carnival and an 8-day Alaskan, the demographic and atmosphere on board more closely resembled Princess and HAL.

Roz