Question for legit drinkers: Is Cheers worth it?

Almost positive HMC is not included with cheers. On Carnival the beverages that are included are non-bottled water, coffee,tea,punch and milk. I purchase cheers For a few reasons. First I'm on a cruise and I'm indulging. I also like my specialty coffees, bottled water and soda which are not included in the price of the cruise. Things add up. When purchase cheers on a 7 day cruise it cost $418 (with 15% gratuity added) about $60 a day. For me it's a bargain for others it not. And I don't get the bill at the end of the cruise. I like the cheers program and will continue to purchase it. And there's also the soda program for non drinkers.

Just finished 5 day on triumph w/cheers. So worth it as others have mentioned. Soda or 2 in a.m., mostly drank beer during day. Wine w/dinner. Didn’t drink enough to get hangover, was up around 6a.m. Every day. Will definitely do cheers again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my opinion, yes it is worth it if you are what you call a "drinker". First let's look at the coffee, I'm assuming you drink coffee, there are a lot of coffee selections at the coffee bar, but none of them are just black coffee. You will need to order an Americano, I do a quad shot, to come close to a black coffee. Then there are all the fancier versions, all using espresso. Since you are a drinker, I'm assuming you should also be drinking a lot of water throughout the day, we try to get a water every other round. As for the alcohol, it's not so much about quantity as it is quality. Feel free to try different things, better, more expensive liquors. There is no better time to try them than when they are free. You may find something you enjoy better and then again you might not. Alchemy bar is also a great option, they can make all kinds of custom drinks tailored to your taste preferences. Don't forget about dinner in the dining room, you can get sparkling mineral water and still water in larger bottles that you can also take back to your room. We also make connections with bartenders we see frequently, and tip them in cash. The cash usually goes right in their pocket and we get swifter service and better pours.

It only takes like 5 or 6 drinks daily before you have 'broke even' even if you don't account for water, soda, coffee and milkshakes. How does that amount of drinks push someone into some great hangover?

I would consider myself a drinker, and by and large, it is not worth it to me. My upcoming cruise is 7 days, and it was not even a consideration. At $60 per person, per day, that comes out to $840. Sure there are ways to save 10%. However, never in my life has a week worth of liquids been worth that much. That was more than the cruise fare to be honest. I would much rather do another cruise. I also would not be able to use it while at port. That is the time I want a drink the most. My girlfriend would also not even come close to breaking even. Even for me, it is a chore to drink that much for that long. I got a $150 OBC to cover some drinks, the self-pouring beer station is a god-send, we can bring soda and wine, and maybe I buy a few more drinks. Then we will buy some while at port.

Now, that's not to say I don't believe there isn't value in it at all. For a short 3-4 day cruise, I believe its value goes way up. It is cheaper, and easier to do. Also, if you want to use this opportunity to try some premium spirits, this is the time. The steakhouse especially will have some great options.

On a side-note, I also over indulge on the food while on vacation. I should save on calories and sugar where I can.

You're not able to use Cheers at HMC. I have a drink calculator on my blog that may help you. http://www.love2cruise.org/drink-packages/

That's a very helpful tool! I just used figures based on what I drank normally and what I would have done if it was all included (drank more specialty coffee and non-alcoholic bottled drinks instead of the included Lido drinks) and it said I would have spent $119 a day without Cheers! So, yes, buying the package this time is definitely worth it! Thanks for reassuring me! :D

In my opinion, yes it is worth it if you are what you call a "drinker". First let's look at the coffee, I'm assuming you drink coffee, there are a lot of coffee selections at the coffee bar, but none of them are just black coffee. You will need to order an Americano, I do a quad shot, to come close to a black coffee. Then there are all the fancier versions, all using espresso. Since you are a drinker, I'm assuming you should also be drinking a lot of water throughout the day, we try to get a water every other round. As for the alcohol, it's not so much about quantity as it is quality. Feel free to try different things, better, more expensive liquors. There is no better time to try them than when they are free. You may find something you enjoy better and then again you might not. Alchemy bar is also a great option, they can make all kinds of custom drinks tailored to your taste preferences. Don't forget about dinner in the dining room, you can get sparkling mineral water and still water in larger bottles that you can also take back to your room. We also make connections with bartenders we see frequently, and tip them in cash. The cash usually goes right in their pocket and we get swifter service and better pours.

Great feedback. Thank you!

It only takes like 5 or 6 drinks daily before you have 'broke even' even if you don't account for water, soda, coffee and milkshakes. How does that amount of drinks push someone into some great hangover?

Because it means my wife, who does drink, butnot drink as much as me, also has to purchase and I have to drink her share and mine to break even. 😂 😂

My husband and I are "legit drinkers" (haha love that) plus we like a mocha every morning of a vacation, so we go back and forth with this decision every cruise. It usually comes down to the particular itinerary and how much time we plan to spend off the ship in port. Most often, we choose to mentally "set aside" the amount that Cheers WOULD have cost and just pay as we go on as much or as little as we're in the mood to drink. Once in a while we go over, but the vast majority of the time we come in under what we would have spent on Cheers.

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually feel a greater sense of freedom paying a la carte as opposed to paying in advance for the package. From all the threads I've read on this topic, the value of Cheers seems to come down to one's personality just as much as it does beverage intake.

From all the threads I've read on this topic, the value of Cheers seems to come down to one's personality just as much as it does beverage intake.

I wonder about all of this. For those who swear by it, is it really a good value or is it a perceived value? For all of the people who say "but the sodas, coffees, waters, and juices!" I wonder how many they are really drinking of all of it. Especially for a pair of adults, not just the heaviest drinker. A good portion of the justifications include some form of "I'm on vacation."

I wonder about all of this. For those who swear by it, is it really a good value or is it a perceived value? For all of the people who say "but the sodas, coffees, waters, and juices!" I wonder how many they are really drinking of all of it. Especially for a pair of adults, not just the heaviest drinker. A good portion of the justifications include some form of "I'm on vacation."

In my 20's to 30's cheers would be worth it. Now at 51, not worth it. I don't need the thousands of extra calories drinking so much entails when I am already eating plenty on the ship. I do like to have some drinks occasionally but not even close to justifying the expense. Some out here literally make it like a chore with the stock answer of mimosas at breakfast, some by the pool at lunch, afternoon drinks, dinner, and a show. Yeah i could do all that but why would I want to? Put on 10 pounds in a week so I can take a month or more to lose it? No thanks.

We're "legit drinkers" :D and Cheers is 100% worth it to us and we don't cruise without it. Not having to worry about your bar tab and also being able to try new drinks and shots is just great. Not to mention the soda, milkshakes, bottled water, etc. Cheers is the best value on the ship to us.

We bought Cheers on our last cruise because we were sailing with a group of friends who were all buying the package. I did not want to worry about our bar tab and it was just simpler to buy it ahead of time. We are drinkers, less than some, more than others. :D

I made a conscious effort to not try and drink to recoup value. Even so, I was definitely drinking somewhat more than normal for me on a cruise- probably because we were drinking with our friends. We had four port days on a seven day cruise. In port I drank less than normal because I was going to use the package. I never had a major hangover, but I should have.

What I learned is that although I CAN break even or better on any given day, I cannot keep that pace up for 7 days in a row without feeling miserable and bloated. :cool: One day I drank next to nothing, and I still felt like I was sweating booze out of my system on my first day back at work.

We enjoyed it and are glad we had it the last trip, but will not purchase it on our next trip.

We are drinkers and we have gotten the cheers package on both of my cruises. We love having cheers because we don’t feel restricted and we don’t have to worry about the large bill at the end. When my wife went on a cruise a few years before we got together she had major sticker shock at the end of the cruise and cheers is worth being able to know exactly how much it will cost you before you even step foot on the ship! I enjoyed specialty coffees and milkshakes in addition to multiple alcoholic beverages a day and loved every minute of it! I don’t foresee myself cruising without it ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums