Preventing disappointment/problems for cruise mates

weltek

I’d just let them know that since many get the dining package as a perk, to make reservations in advance.

I had a moment this year where I contemplated letting them sink or swim on dining reservations, just mentioning this in passing. I knew mentioning it alone probably wouldn't compel them to remember to book. I thought, "maybe they'll learn a lesson about planning." Then I came to my senses and realized they'd just just grumble a lot about how cruising is terrible and it would bug the crap out of me.

Before the dining package being common free perk, I never made specialty reservations until the day before dining. Lesson learned on our last cruise.

weltek...you have probably already covered the big issues and any questions that your BIL & SIL have will come up during the cruise. There is no way to fully explain everything ahead of time. It's a new experience and just enjoy their reactions to everything with a light hearted attitude. And be sure to tell them that every cruise is a new experience regardless of how many cruises you have taken. It's always a new adventure and that's what makes it fun and exciting.

Don't spend anymore time worrying about them...you've done your best to prepare them. Just relax and start looking forward to a wonderful vacation and sharing it with family. Just remember to bring your sense of humor and you all will have a blast and so much to talk about when you get home.

Novice cruisers are always shocked at how small the cabins are. Find some videos and share.

Youtube works great for this, you can even show them the exact ship you are sailing on....lots of good info by watching some of the videos as far as what to expect..

Maybe they were thinking they uber from the airport and not waste money on excursions and specialty dining. Not everything needs planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, fair point. I didn't NEED to pre-book transportation, but it was cheaper and I have some minor UBER ethical issues and choose not to personally support them. That is my issue, not theirs. The specialty dining was a free perk they chose. I haven't insisted they plan anything for excursions (quite the opposite, actually). I'm just trying to provide them enough information that they don't find themselves in an unexpected stressful situation where they argue with staff, and we don't hear jabs like, "why didn't you mention this before?" (like the benefit of making dining reservations ahead of time, the high cost of sea sickness meds on the ship, the tipping situation, etc.). Have you seen the threads on here with angry cruisers that had a "horrible cruise" because they didn't read the terms & conditions? Yeah, trying to avoid them being those people.

I definitely intended this post to be more about "what information should I arm them with for both our sakes" than "what more should I plan for us."

I did not read every post, but what I would do is think back to when I first cruised and what I learned quickly and would have love to know. You can sit down and make a list of free food and all the charged items..

Then make a list of things that they may enjoy. That way they have the list of things that are most important to know. And make sure to ( if you have any so called patters ) to show them how it works. And then let them make their choices. That way they can relax and make plans as they choose. Sorry about the bold I tried turning it off and it comes right back ugh!

It also leaves any unanswered questions they may have for you later on.

I finally learned that I wanted to relax more and read and do whale watching. And only participated in the things I wanted to try.

Point out to them that NCL is not the only cruise line or cruise experience available to passengers.

If they enjoy cruising but are not happy about some of the things unique to NCL (such as needing to reserve months in advance for shows and restaurants), that there are other cruise lines that may suit their cruising style.

How exciting! I hope you enjoy your trip :-) Traveling with others can be a BLAST!! Just put your communication skills to work, talk things out before they become a problem and don't be afraid to pull back a bit on board if that's how you feel, it's your vacation too.

One thing that I would warn them about are the lines. I've been on two prior cruises (on Princess and Carnival) and there seemed to be a line forming for everything. Want to see a show? Stand in line to get in. Want to go to dinner? There's a queue. Anytime there are structured activities offered to several thousand people there will be lines, once we got in the mindset of that it was no longer an issue, we just planned accordingly. (And for what I know you guys might not encounter a wait time for anything, but know it might happen)

Unless you are in a suite or higher there is a service fee for room service.

Sounds like my husband. He is clueless in the preparation stage, and after initial payment he won’t pay for anything or otherwise lift a finger. I pay for parking, hotels before and after, all photos, upgrade bidding, specialty dining and spa for both of us ~ and then he complains about how much cruises cost (with rare exception he only pays pays port taxes and fees, service charges, and his own gambling) and that I take excursions without him (after paying for all of that other stuff why should I pay his excursions too!) Not to mention I take care of all document prep, reservations, and packing. I’m upset but I just keep reminding myself it beats not going, and I know he won’t go if he has to pay for more of these things.

If he were a more distant family member or friend I wouldn’t be so reliable. I would not take a second cruise with someone like that and the first time I’d only help them with things that would directly impact my own trip. It’s really inconsiderate to put so much burden on you.

Just want to say - I hear you! Cruising with my boyfriend, who has hinted several times he will ask the all-important question on the ship. Great! But... he's NOT a planner, and has told me to stop talking about the cruise until we get to NYC to embark :o

I have already checked us in and emailed him the cruise docs to print out at work, told him about daily service charges, all that. But I wish he were more invested in the planning portion, since there's so much to do on the ship. I want to make restaurant and show reservations now, but he's more laissez-faire. Sigh!

It is stressful but remember, you can't change them and enjoy the cruise your way, even if it ends up that you can't do everything together because they didn't plan. That's the way I'm looking at it.

I know exactly what you are going through!! I am the only planner out of four "sets" of companions that I travel with and it does get tiring.

I have thought of something that is quite important though

Have a carry on bag with your swimming stuff so you can go to the pool and a, change of clothes for that night. Tell them the suitcase may not get to the room as early as they would like. They might have medication they need to keep on them too

Do they know about muster?

I did this once, on the Pride of Aloha (when it existed). It actually worked out fine, except for the one night they wouldn’t let BIL into the dining room with shorts and he decided it was somehow my fault for not telling him.

I planned everything DH and I wanted to do and sent it all to them, with the cost, saying they were welcome to do those things, or not. They did choose to do everything we did (off the ship) and it went well. I tried to give them a heads up about some of the things already mentioned, but beyond that....they’re adults. If they can’t read at least the minimal amount and inform themselves, shame on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also the planner in our group. I pick the cruise, dates, etc... If it is just me and my husband cruising, it is no big deal. We are so alike, after 35 years we should be, that I know what he would want to do or not do.

But, if we bring along another couple, which we do frequently, I still take care of the necessary steps to get on the ship: check in, travel plans etc... Once we get on the ship, I tell them to enjoy.

About a month before the cruise I make a package for everyone. We usually get together for dinner and go over any questions.

Package contains:

I print out the itinerary complete with the website address

I give the other couple a "tentative" schedule of where we will be - like dinners, shows, excursions etc....if they want to join us great - if not, fine.

Excursion info - usually the website address with dates we will be in each port

List of reservations made if any

Drink package and dining package info - what is included and what is not

Spa info - so they can decide if they want the thermal spa or not.

Any other info I can think of if they are new cruisers...most of the couples we travel with are like us and have been on several cruises.

I tell them that even though I planned the cruise, I am not their cruise director and do not plan on spending every minute entertaining them (in a nice way of course). If they want to arrange something, they have my cabin number and can always leave a message if they can't find us.

On our last cruise, we had 4 ports and 4 people. So we decided that each person would take a port and decide what we were going to do that day. They could decide on excursions or just walk around the port. It worked out great! I didn't have to plan all 4 days and I loved it.

Don't know if any of this helps you.... I hope you have a great cruise and can relax and enjoy yourself!

I want to agree you should tell them about stateroom size. When our friends went on their first cruise they booked a GS on RCCL, and they said they couldn’t believe how small it was. New cruisers think rooms are like hotel rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although we all know there are no formal nights on NCL, there most definitely is a dress code in the dining rooms. Make sure they aren't expecting to wear shorts to dinner!
Shorts can indeed be worn in all restaurants except two - typically Le Bistro and aft MDR on older ships, and Le Bistro and one other specialty (e.g., Ocean Blue, Bayamo) on newer ships.

I second many of the prior suggestions, especially trip insurance, packing a bag with essentials (such as medications), and muster (and bars/restaurants shutting down just prior).

Also, I agree with the pre-warning about the lines, but maybe you can spin it in a positive way. For example, to avoid lines for disembarking and reboarding the ship at the ports, you can tell them the "trick" to avoid the lines is to disembark an hour after allowed, etc., instead of saying how terrible the line will be.

I think it is great you are trying to make this a positive experience for all involved. Best wishes for a wonderful trip!!

Don't know if you are the "sun-worshipper" types or not, but I have been on many cruises and the only consistent thing I am bothered by is the "chair hogs". Let your friends know that it may be difficult to get prime seating during sea days. I have seen fights erupt from people who think they can throw a towel over the back of a chair at 6 am, then return at 11 and expect the chairs to be empty. I wish the cruise lines could find a better way to monitor this practice. I know they post informal rules, but in my experience they are not enforced.