How cruises help with life (for me at least)

I know, your going to call me a sentimental fool, but that’s OK with me. But whenever work or life in general gets the best of me. I close my eyes and take a “microcation” from my troubles.

I think back seeing a welcoming sun in the sky, a cool tropical beverage in my hand and my beautiful wife by my side. Pure paradise. And for that moment I’m back where I feel I belong.

With the one I love.

Then I open my eyes, with a satisfied grin on my face, and then I able to go on with my day.

This is why we build memories. To lock in an Idyllic time & place that we need to be.

Silly I know, but it is my free version of therapy.

I just felt like sharing this with my new friends on CC.

Joel...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know exactly what you mean! I do the same thing myself. Can't afford to always have cruises booked but remembering those past, dreaming about those in the future, and living vicariously through others' experiences on Cruise Critic keeps me sane (ish)...

For me, it's all about the planning. Maybe it's two years away, but it gives me something to look forward to and research. Also, I have made three hardback coffee table books from some past vacations. So, when I am sitting there watching TV I will pick them up and get a smile from the fun times. Surprising how many times when we have friends over they will pick them up.

I have been using thoughts about cruising as a coping method for about 39 years now. It got be through some tough times over the years. We did not too very much cruising in the early years but eventually we got to where we were cruising 3 times a year. Looking forward to the next cruise always helped.

I love to go back and scroll through pictures from previous cruises.

We absolutely love to cruise and I am my happiest when I am on a ship.

My husband always says in my first life I must have lived in the sea.....:D

Happy Sailing Everyone!!!

For me, it's all about the planning. Maybe it's two years away, but it gives me something to look forward to and research. Also, I have made three hardback coffee table books from some past vacations. So, when I am sitting there watching TV I will pick them up and get a smile from the fun times. Surprising how many times when we have friends over they will pick them up.

I’m a bit the same, the planning and researching is half the fun.

But then I’m house bound much of the time, so it gives me something to keep my mind occupied.

My first cruise was at the age of 3 months in October of 1936. We sailed from NYC to Jacksonville Fl. It must have been a real bonding experience. I always have a cruise booked, and wallow in the anticipation and haunt Cruise Critic. If I can’t sleep at night I picture us walking up the gangway and onto the ship, then opening our cabin door. By then I’m usually relaxed and go right to sleep. Being on the ocean wipes my slate clean of all my daily stress and worries.

Really nice thread... my first cruise was on Sitmar with my family. Great memory. It was as if it was only yesterday. I can still remember how big i thought that ship was. Now it would be a tender for the Oasis class.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’ve been on 2 cruises, one in 2017 and one in 2018. 5 days before my first cruise my mom passed away. Three days before my second cruise my grandfather passed away. My sister says the universe knows I’ll need a break. I have to admit it does help (but I’d also like to go on a cruise where no one dies before I leave).

Edited by Dixie1337

OP, you sound like someone I would love to meet on a cruise!!

Seems like the more complicated life gets, the more I appreciate cruising. I try to always have something booked. I guess it's my version of therapy. I am an addict and an enabler--DH and DD are now as hooked as I am.

My wife and I love to cruise and now our kids love to go along with us. We can't always afford to go one or may have a land vacation booked but when we do we cherish it and appreciate it. My wife's non cruising sisters and their husbands don't understand why we love it so much but that's okay, Considering they've never been on one they probably don't have a right to judge. I feel the same way about places they go on vacation. We leave in 26 days on Liberty.

Completely with you PokerGuy90.

Life can be so stressful, especially for our generation (the first generation expected to earn less, own less and live shorter than our parents).

For me planning travel, and especially cruises, is one way to deal with the stress and anxiety. I have the ship mate app which lets me view the days until my next cruises (65 days until Independence of the seas, and 172 days until Celebrity Silhouette).

I close my eyes, think of sitting on my balcony hearing the waves, or standing on the top deck with a cocktail and watching the sun set and I'm calm again.

Already browsing cruises for 2019/2020!

I know, your going to call me a sentimental fool, but that’s OK with me. But whenever work or life in general gets the best of me. I close my eyes and take a “microcation” from my troubles.

I think back seeing a welcoming sun in the sky, a cool tropical beverage in my hand and my beautiful wife by my side. Pure paradise. And for that moment I’m back where I feel I belong.

With the one I love.

Then I open my eyes, with a satisfied grin on my face, and then I able to go on with my day.

This is why we build memories. To lock in an Idyllic time & place that we need to be.

Joel...

Great post. I don't cruise multiple times a year, but I sure do think about my yearly cruise. October will be here before I know it!

How sweet:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:. I always need to have a cruise booked so I have something wonderful to look forward to.

I also find that having something there on the horizon, even if a year off in the distance is helpful

Love, love, love this thread...I guess because now I know there are so many people like me:) Sometimes I think I drive my DH crazy because even when we take walks in the winter months under a blue sky, I'll tell him that I'm just imagining walking on the sand and the aqua blue water is in front of us. Then I tell him how many more weeks we have until we go on our next cruise and we discuss which port we are most excited about. Cruising helps us spend time together all day (as long as I can talk him out of bringing his work computer) and I get my wonderful DH all to myself!!!:)

NIne and a half weeks until our next cruise:) Yeah:)

Happy cruising everyone! And yes, I'd love to meet the poster, also...what a sweetie:)

With the one I love.

Joel...

This sounds normal to us cruise addicts:)

I also daydream by looking at the many previous cruise pictures and short videos on my cell phone. And when I have the chance, will go home and try to watch the many hours of our past cruises that's on my camcorder or plug into the TV to watch.

Thank you Very nice.......

With the one I love.

Joel...