Holland America Revamps-Onboard-Retail-Experience

aliaschief

We are not shoppers but I do feel the new film/photography services could be useful at times.

For instance, last year when several photographers had some great photos of our Prisendam Polar Bear sightings we could have had some photos made.

Shopping on Hal is usually a walk through browsing event on the third straight day at sea.:)

It will be nice to at least see new items!

"Helpful, yet unobtrusive shop staff" - this will be a pleasant change from the pushy watch-floggers who jump all over you when you just want to look through the jewelery displays. I abhor being followed from display case to display case and at one point told the clerk if she didn't stop following me, I would be buying anything. It isn't like I could have stolen anything because everything was under lock and key plexi.

We'll see what's new when we're on the Oosterdam in October; until then it will be interesting to hear others reports as the ship shops change over.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I hope the new logo line includes a return to the HAL itinerary specific merchandise. We always get souvenir ship t-shirts and we really prefer itinerary-specific ship shirts. The generic ones are okay-isa, but we would much rather a cruise-ship shirt that reminds up not only of the ship we were on, but where we were on it.

It will be interesting to see what the prices for the photo items are like. I just did a quick look at Fuji to see what they offer. Looks pretty much like what I've seen at Walgreens and CVS. I couldn't find a US site, just an Australian one. So these are prices in Australian dollars (and shipping is only to Australia).

http://www.fujifilmphotos.com.au/category/photo-gifts/

Not a shopper here on Holland America. I came to cruise and not shop in their shops, whatever they are. Snooty shopkeepers basically on our last cruise. Wouldn't even open the perfume samples because they were "afraid of noro spreading". Bit of the finger wag.

I hope the new logo line includes a return to the HAL itinerary specific merchandise. We always get souvenir ship t-shirts and we really prefer itinerary-specific ship shirts. The generic ones are okay-isa, but we would much rather a cruise-ship shirt that reminds up not only of the ship we were on, but where we were on it.

I agree. And, I hope HAL buys the shirts from a supplier that sells garments that are true to the stated size.

I have in my possession a gallon size ziplock filled with disposable cameras from many voyages that I never had developed. I am bringing two at a time to Walgreens to be developed and then will place them in my vacation photo albums that I bought on said ships I voyaged on.

I can't wait to relive these memories once I get my prints. (been on my todo list for years) I will take full advantage of the instant developing on board IF it does not cost an arm and a leg. I am a value shopper so even if its highly convenient for someone like myself who loves my photo albums, I wont pay outrageous fees to counteract my flaw of getting my vacation pics developed quickly.

We`re not into shopping either, but there was never anything that we bought except T-shirts. If I want pictures I wait until we get home. I do up a DVD of our cruise at home. Time will tell.

Allan

I've been asking for years that they have the brass, laser-cut Christmas ornaments that are specific to the ship. They are pretty, pack well, and don't wear out. I have some from Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Renaissance cruises - also states of Alaska & New Mexico.