"Horror on the High Seas" ? Really?

Peachy59

Out of 15 cruises that i have gone on in the last 30 years, i have only seen waves the size of those one day only about 20 years ago. Those were 15-20 ft on average with maybe a 30 footer once in a while. By no means was it fun but everyone was safe. We just could not go outside, and this was a much smaller ship. Carnival triump.

Well she's had her 2 minutes of fame

I mean, it's obvious, RCI has full control over the condition of the sea don't they

"Not enough was done to keep them same"... Maybe they should get the ship to fly over it next time, that'll prevent it rocking

I mean, it's obvious, RCI has full control over the condition of the sea don't they

"Not enough was done to keep them same"... Maybe they should get the ship to fly over it next time, that'll prevent it rocking

I have done over 20 cruises... with some roughish seas.. but a hurricane. no.

I think they should have at least told the passengers this was a possibility and given them the option to get off the boat.

This is the second time this has happened to this ship. Something is wrong.

Would not trust this cruise line.

by the way there is another thread about this cruise on this board.

I think they should have at least told the passengers this was a possibility and given them the option to get off the boat.

We have sailed in hurricanes many times, on different cruise lines. They do not give you the option to get off the ship. Sometimes our itineraries have changed, sometimes we have chased the storms and at times we have been ahead of them. Weather happens. The cruise lines will keep you safe.

I was on the sailing and we did have some really heavy seas and very high winds. The highest apparent wind I saw on the tv was just over 100 kts. We had a bunch of stuff fall in our cabin but worst damage was a dented can and a freestyle cup that emptied under the bed. We did see a piece of art fall in 270 during one big roll, a woman hurt her shoulder in the solarium and another have a bathroom stall door slam shut on her thumb. She was in terrible pain but when we saw her later, she was doing better.

Many people were sick but I never saw any evidence of it other than many sleeping on couches throughout 270 and the via. My family did not have issues other than it was tough to walk at times and we made sure we walked my mother back to her cabin so she didn't fall.

Everyone reacts to situations like this differently. We saw some overly dramatic people and some overly loyal to royal people who say everything was perfect. We felt it was rough but improved as we got out of the storm and the captain did all he could to keep us informed. Really couldn't have asked for more.

When you choose to sail out of Cape Liberty into the Atlantic Ocean there is a very high possibility you can sail into adverse weather.

If this is a concern.......DON'T SAIL OUT OF BAYONNE......

When you choose to sail out of Cape Liberty into the Atlantic Ocean there is a very high possibility you can sail into adverse weather.

If this is a concern.......DON'T SAIL OUT OF BAYONNE......

This is hurricane season! You take your chances of a rough sailing. Also storms can be unpredictable. Once in Bermuda why not enjoy the cruise and holiday instead of immediately flying home?

Give me a break.

Don't book a cruise out of the NE during hurricane season then... :rolleyes:

Cruises are cheap this time of the year for good reasons, rough seas being one of them.

What did this woman expect!?

Not necessarily. Cruised this time of year several times with perfectly calm seas. Rough seas are a factor of the weather and if there isn't bad weather there typically are calm seas.

I was on the Jewel of the Seas in late October 2011 sailing from Boston. We left as a Nor'easter was coming in. The first night there were occasionally waves washing over the promenade deck and of course all the outside decks were closed. I think the winds were over 100 knots at one point. All I can say is that ship has some darn good stabilizers because, although it was rough, it really wasn't that bad on board.

I was in the Champagne Bar after dinner sitting at the bar with my back to the window holding my drink with one hand and the metal pipe on the edge of the bar with the other. It was quite an adventure!

I would NOT want to be in 40 ft. seas...especially on a CRUiSE ship...a sea-going (Ocean liner) vessel is a different animal....these "high rise" cruise ships are not meant to be in heavy seas. However, the videos don't show me 40 ft. seas. I'm sure it was not fun...but that's all part of the ocean...isn't it? You can't predict what the seas will do! Our 1st cruise was rocky as hell....could barely walk up the stairs, as the ship would "fall" out under you!

I would NOT want to be in 40 ft. seas...especially on a CRUiSE ship...a sea-going (Ocean liner) vessel is a different animal....these "high rise" cruise ships are not meant to be in heavy seas. However, the videos don't show me 40 ft. seas. I'm sure it was not fun...but that's all part of the ocean...isn't it? You can't predict what the seas will do! Our 1st cruise was rocky as hell....could barely walk up the stairs, as the ship would "fall" out under you!

And you have your degree in naval engineering from where? Seems like Anthem survived both her hurricane encounters pretty well!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I wonder what would happen if she was at an all-inclusive resort during a hurricane. Ships are able to try and navigate around the worst areas and they do their best to do that. People always seem to forget that. I would like to see her interview if she was trapped in a room on an island during a big storm. Bottom line is.... If you want perfect weather all the time... Stay off the oceans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We sailed on Explorer of the Seas 20/28/12 sailing right into Hurricane Sandy. We had 45 ft waves and winds clocked at 187 kph. It was rough. There was damage to the ship. At least 3 people fell and broke an arm. Seas were MUCH rougher than this video. We knew before we got to the port and boarded the ship what we were getting into. We went prepared with seasickness meds, and none of us got sick. We also held onto handrails on the steps, and walking down the hall bounced from one side to the other. We made it to Bermuda on time. It was one hell of a ride which I will always remember and hope to never experience again. It has not changed our cruising habits. Leaving tomorrow on Oasis. This is the height of hurricane season.

Edited by debshomespun

Where were you that you, or anyone boarding that ship actually, did not realize that Hurricane Hermine was out there and active? We all had been hearing about it for a while. I think the passengers probably knew this was a possibility. If they didn't they live under a rock.

Drama Queen, I agree with other poster they were 20' peaking at 30'. We were returning from Cozumel, thru the Straits of Cuba and the spray from the waves flooded our deck 8 balcony. Another cruise on the Navigator we had 75 Mph "apparent winds"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Edited by oneputt18

I was in the Champagne Bar after dinner sitting at the bar with my back to the window holding my drink with one hand and the metal pipe on the edge of the bar with the other. It was quite an adventure!

You are my hero. I loved the champagne bar on the Jewel. I am sad that there isn't one on the Grandeur for my upcoming cruise. My bartender in the Champagne bar got a nice envelope on the last day from me....