Italy: do we need euros?

PhoebeDeebe

Our cruise starts in venice and we will be docked there for 3 days. Ends in Civitavecchia and we will stay in Rome 2 nights. Do we need to take a lot of euros? I hate changing money because you get screwed on both ends. Would prefer to use credit cards. Advice?

I suppose with a bit of planning you could get along without euros, but it might prove to be too difficult to be worth the trouble. If you don't have one, get a no foreign transaction fee debit card to obtain euros along the way at ATMs and save any left over for your next European trip.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

A little planning and research helps avoid getting "screwed on both ends".

Yes, credit cards will be widely accepted. But on smaller purchases, particularly outside the common tourist areas, you might get some resistance. Sounds like you will be touring ashore at least 5 days (what about your other ports?). If so, you will need some euros...public transit, for example. Small cafe meals.

Just plan on spending your remaining euros your last day, or do like we do- save the euros for the next visit to Europe. We go frequently.

Good advice from both previous posts. I never purchase euros in the states. I use my ATM card to get cash from the machines in Italy - no foreign transaction fee on my card and I get the best possible conversion rate. I save any remaining euros for my next trip to Europe.

Credit cards are widely accepted in Italy but you will need euros if you stray from the tourist areas (credit cards are not as readily accepted in small cafes, shops & grocery stores in these areas).

You are best to get Euros and you can get them at the ATM's in most ports. Exchange rate on the ship is usually not as good and they add a fee. Many tour operators don't take credit cards; but if you are on a private tour, they will happily take you to an ATM to get Euros. Because of pick pockets in Italy, if I take a credit card with me off the ship, it is deeply hidden within a money belt or Travelsmith anti theft cross body bag with RFID blocking protection. In the end, if I am robbed, I'd rather it be a small amount of cash/Euros than credit card.

I cannot imagine that you will not need any euros. I would have euros if only to buy gelato. There are also other small purchases or tips that you might want euros for. Local buses, taxis, etc. might also warrant euros. As has been said earlier ATMS in Europe work great. However, I usually suck up any negative exchange rate and take some with me so I do not have to go hunting for an ATM machine in the airport.

I would have a small amount of EU as a backup for those times when you can't use your card - others have mentioned the usual small cafes, gelato shops, coffee shops, the water purchases, some taxis.

In Rome, you will find a plethora of ATMs - called "bancomat". Just use the ones that are attached to a bank (many are inside a door that you use your card for entry) and not the free-standing ones.

Personally, I can't imagine not having any EU when I travel! I always have some when I arrive so I can hit the ground running and grab a snack. I'll use my cards as much as possible, but I do make the bancomat stop when needed. I do make sure I have EU left at the end of the trip so that I can start my next trip with that "arrival cash."

So ask yourself if you can spend a few days in any American (or Canadian) city without having any dollars. It is the same in Europe. While credit cards (especially MC and Visa) are widely accepted, there are still plenty of times when you will need/want to have some cash. We do agree with the other posters that the best (and easiest) way to get Euros is to simply use local ATMs. ATM machines are nearly everywhere in Italy (and Europe) and you US or Canadian Debit/ATM card should work fine. ATMs will always get you the best exchange rates (usually the wholesale rate of exchange minus 1%). The only question is what your own Debit/ATM issuing bank charges as extra fees. There are plenty of US Credit Unions and smaller banks that charge zero fees :). Just make sure to notify your bank, prior to your trip, or your itinerary and intent to use your ATM card.

Hank

As others have mentioned, you're going to need some Euros - you are starting in Rome, but I'm pretty sure you'll need more for the ports you're stopping at along the way. You can always get more from the ATM's in the various ports, but you should start out with some to get you through the first few days. In addition to the coffee kiosks, snack carts and stalls, we've found some of the smaller restaurants won't take credit cards either, and were glad we had Euros with us.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Our cruise starts in venice and we will be docked there for 3 days. Ends in Civitavecchia and we will stay in Rome 2 nights. Do we need to take a lot of euros? I hate changing money because you get screwed on both ends. Would prefer to use credit cards. Advice?

You will be in Italy a total of five days - three in Venice and two in Rome. Why don't you start by using an ATM in Venice and withdraw some euros. To be extremely conservative, get 50 to 100 euros; the ATM fee should not be more than $1 or $2 (as hlitner says, you would not be in an American city without some local cash in your pocket.). See how it goes. If you have any left, use it in Rome. If you need more, withdraw some more before you leave Venice to use in Rome. In the unlikely event you have any left, save it for your next trip.

I would get Euros and don't over analyze it.

The reality is you can use your credit card in many places but having Euros makes a lot of sense for small purchases; even using a rest room where you need to purchase a cup of coffee.

I wouldn't worry about the little extra you pay.

Let's say you get $200.00 in euros and overpay by the equivalent of $20.00 in USA currency. The world won't come to an end.

Sometimes we get the money in the USA at our bank.

We do find that the optimal way to get them is by using the local ATM in country.

Keith

I would get Euros and don't over analyze it.

The reality is you can use your credit card in many places but having Euros makes a lot of sense for small purchases; even using a rest room where you need to purchase a cup of coffee.

I wouldn't worry about the little extra you pay.

Let's say you get $200.00 in euros and overpay by the equivalent of $20.00 in USA currency. The world won't come to an end.

Sometimes we get the money in the USA at our bank.

We do find that the optimal way to get them is by using the local ATM in country.

Keith

Exactly my sentiments. When I am in Europe time is money. If it cost me a couple of bucks extra in exchange fees and I save 15 minutes that is fine. I want to spend my time seeing things.

Yes you will need euro

How much you take per day per person is up to you based on what you plan to do

Where you get it or how much you pay is irrelevant imho

I would never leave home without what I consider sufficient euro on my person

I would never rely on credit card only as many issues can arise

I would never rely on using an ATM upon arrival because lots of stuff can go wrong

My plan might cost me a few $$ extra but that is irrelevant to me based on the peace of mind bringing sufficient euro (at least for a couple of days per person) from home provides

All you need to have happen is to have your ATM card hacked at an ATM at the port or airport or eaten by the machine and the bank is closed or to have your credit card refused by the bank until you call or notify them that it's ok to accept the transaction

Others on this board will now chime in and say the above never ever happens

It happens

Believe who you want

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always bring euros when going to Europe based on what Crusin6 posted. I budget $100eu per day for pre/post cruise and $50eu a day for each port day.

We always come home with some euros as I seem to use the credit card whenever possible at the beginning of the trip.

At the end of the day a 2% surcharge is only $22 on $1000eu and you won't need much more than that on a 7 day cruise with a few days pre/post cruise If you use a credit card at fancy restaurants and bigger purchases.

So ask yourself if you can spend a few days in any American (or Canadian) city without having any dollars. It is the same in Europe. While credit cards (especially MC and Visa) are widely accepted, there are still plenty of times when you will need/want to have some cash. We do agree with the other posters that the best (and easiest) way to get Euros is to simply use local ATMs. ATM machines are nearly everywhere in Italy (and Europe) and you US or Canadian Debit/ATM card should work fine. ATMs will always get you the best exchange rates (usually the wholesale rate of exchange minus 1%). The only question is what your own Debit/ATM issuing bank charges as extra fees. There are plenty of US Credit Unions and smaller banks that charge zero fees :). Just make sure to notify your bank, prior to your trip, or your itinerary and intent to use your ATM card.

Hank

I am doing well in Canada without cash money at all but its different in Europe ;) I owuld never leave house even for USA without 1000 $ or euro in my pocket. you never know what can happen

Everyone has their "own way" of doing things.......I bring euros with me when going to Europe and being "screwed on both ends" does not come into the equation for me. I travel on my own, (not that it matters), but I want all this taken care

of before I leave. I would never travel anywhere without having cash and since it is Europe, the cash happens to be

Euros.

I am flying to Barcelona on August 6th....sailing on the 9th:D........and will be bringing Euros with me. All about

convenience and just having all my stuff done before arriving in Europe. This is the way that works best for me.

Edited by Lois R

I am doing well in Canada without cash money at all but its different in Europe ;) I owuld never leave house even for USA without 1000 $ or euro in my pocket. you never know what can happen

Have to agree that one can do quite well in Canada with just a credit card. We take annual sojourns to Canada for a few days of wine tasting and seldom use cash. About the only place we have visited that is more credit/debit card oriented is Finland (especially Helsinki) where the government policies support a cash free society. But as you say, most of Europe is different and having some currency in one's pocket can be quite handy...if not necessary. There are still quite a few European venues where cash is king :). In fact, even in places that take credit cards we are often able to negotiate a nice discount for paying in cash.

Hank

We have just returned from a land holiday in Bay of Naples and were surprised at the numbers of businesses that do not take credit or debit cards. This included restaurants, ferry companies and tour operators.

We took Euros, UK Currency and a couple of low charge credit cards we use for travelling. We had intended to change the UK currency into Euros whilst there in banks. This was harder than expected. One bank in Naples had a sign on the entrance saying they didn't change foreign currency and directing people to the ATM.

Italy is much more a cash economy than many other Western European Countries. You will need Euro.

Actually if you research use of cash versus cards you see that most transactions in the world are still in cash. Also that some very advanced economies have a significantly lower use of cards than others; cash is still popular in Germany and Japan, as examples. Also in Italy, but there it helps to feed the cash economy ie tax evasion.

Here in Oz we use cards and electronic transfer a great deal. However for a cup of coffee I use cash whereas in Norway everyone seems to use cards. I know the cafe owner has to pay for the use of the card so I regard it as a courtesy to pay cash for very small items.

I would never travel in Italy without cash. Our friends had a card stolen and one swallowed within two days in northern Italy.

Karenella, you might be right about the locals and their use of Credit Cards vs. Cash.

With that said on our most recent trip of Italy in 2015 we found that credit cards were widely accepted in both large and small places including small neighborhood restaurants. During our visit to Japan in 2014 we also found them widely accepted.

We always have local currency with us for small purchases.

Interestingly enough we have had fraud on five different credit cards since we began using them. None of that fraud happened outside of the USA. In the USA (I realized you are in Australia) we are slow when it comes to all of this. We finally have chips in the cards but many stores still don't have the chip reader. And unlike the way it is done in Europe and some other areas around the world which I applaud) in restaurants rather then brining a credit card authorization machine to the table they take your card to a central area.

Keith