Experienced cruisers can I have your opinion?

xbriannao

I know this is totally dependent on the person, but if you've experienced sea sickness you may have some insight.

My last cruise I was on the empress deck (7) in the middle. I didn't feel sick at all throughout the cruise, however when I stepped into the bathroom, or the dining room (which I assume was on a higher deck) I could feel my stomach being uneasy. It wasn't ever ending in being sick, it was just uncomfortable.

I booked another cruise on the upper deck (6 I believe) in the aft- with a balcony. Being that I'm lower do you think I'll still feel sick? Is being in the back going to affect me? Watching the water doesn't affect me so I'm not worried about the balcony. I'm just wondering if I should talk to my doctor and be on something during the cruise and expect to feel sick-- or if I should only bring stuff just in case.

Again I know it depends on the person, but any insight would be helpful if you've had the same experiences.

Thank you!

My doc gave me a prescription of motion sickness, took 1 before getting on the ship (2hours before) and then it made me sleep sound the first night, no sickness at all. But it was nice to know I had it available. The only time I did get sea sick when I was in Orlando the night I got off the ship, I could not swaying. lol Took one and it was gone in the morning.

I was on 7th floor balcony, B2B 9 days with it being my first cruise ever.

Having a balcony or line of sight to the horizon is what helps prevent sea sickness. Thus when you go into an enclosed place it is harder for you body to square up the motion it feels with the stationary position information it is getting from your eyes.

Try wearing sea bands. Or for medical get Dr advice but a patch or Bonine has done wonders for many.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm very prone to sea sickness and begin taking meclizine 3 days before getting on the ship and then 1 each day. Doesn't help much when I return since I will still sway for around 4 weeks. I've tried the watch, sea bands, etc. but I just get sea sick and my inner ears don't react well. My ears pop when going more than 6 floors in an elevator. Meclizine has worked the best for me. I would probably have cruised more if I didn't get so nauseous and sway for so long after the cruise, but I still cruise and have 2 planned this year.

the lower and more center in the ship is usually the calmest ride....but you said you got to feeling ill when in the bathroom....and you cant see the sea in the bathroom....so perhaps it is a visual thing for you. I love the ride, knock on wood, I get the ill ness when we stop. :confused:

I can't do motion at all. Start taking Bonine 2 days before cruise, each day during cruise, and 2 days after.

That being said, you will feel more motion in the aft. I was always told "motion is worse in the forward." I totally disagree as our Ocean Suite last cruise was in the forward and we had rough seas the first day. It was smoother, riding the waves in the front, then sitting at dinner in the aft smacking down on the wave. Mid ship is best, lower deck even better.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Ginger ale.... and ginger tablets work great for some people. You can order the ginger ale from the Fun Shop (get a dozen) to have delivered to your room for the cruise, then put it in your fridge. Ginger ale really works well for nausea.

And stay busy... the worst thing to do is go inside and lay down. Get fresh air, walk around, do something to distract.

The room I would look for if you get sea sick easily is Middle/Middle. The middle top to bottom and the middle fwd. to aft. They say the fwd is the worst for motion then the aft, but I'm can not say for sure I always get middle/middle (I get sick easy too). However our next cruise to Alaska I got an AFT room. In fact we will be able to see the wake of the ship, but should not be to bad going through the inside passage (I hope).

I know this is totally dependent on the person, but if you've experienced sea sickness you may have some insight.

My last cruise I was on the empress deck (7) in the middle. I didn't feel sick at all throughout the cruise, however when I stepped into the bathroom, or the dining room (which I assume was on a higher deck) I could feel my stomach being uneasy. It wasn't ever ending in being sick, it was just uncomfortable.

I booked another cruise on the upper deck (6 I believe) in the aft- with a balcony. Being that I'm lower do you think I'll still feel sick? Is being in the back going to affect me? Watching the water doesn't affect me so I'm not worried about the balcony. I'm just wondering if I should talk to my doctor and be on something during the cruise and expect to feel sick-- or if I should only bring stuff just in case.

Again I know it depends on the person, but any insight would be helpful if you've had the same experiences.

Thank you!

Getting outside an looking at at the horizon across the water is the best thing you can do when you start feeling queezy.

Another vote for Meclazine. I buy it on Amazon and start taking it the day before the cruise. It has never made me drowsy or any other side effects. I even give it to my kids. And yes...I get very seasick without it and always stay in a spa cabin which is at least deck 11!

Bonnie works good, as a preventative so you have to start taking it a day or two ahead of time. I take it at bed time so do not notice any drowsy effects. Highly recommend the sea bands (acupuncture) that you can buy at Walgreen's, etc for about $3. Work for me in moderate seas.

I agree with booking the middle middle. usually deck 6. Picture a teeter totter, you want to be in the middle . Also for seasickness, my husband takes ginger root pills. He takes 1 in the morning, afternoon and 2 at dinner. Someone on our first cruise in 2003 gave him some when he wasnt feeling too good. And he has been taking it every cruise since (17cruises for him) . So thank you so much to that person that first gave him the ginger root pills !!!

I always bring some candied ginger. If I start to feel bad (usually when seas are super rough) I chew a couple of pieces and then get a cup of hot chocolate. Works like a charm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Another vote for 25mg Meclizine! I buy the Walmart/Equate brand...$1.48 for 8 pills...We take the first pill the night before we sail and one pill each night before bed (so there is no problem with drowsiness)....works great for us.....and cheap!

If it's just a bit of queasiness, I would say try some ginger (capsules, chews, candy, gingerale). It never hurts to have a little something with you on the cruise (like Dramamine or meclizine) just in case you run into rougher seas.

I have a friend who gets motion sickness very easily, but was determined to cruise with a bunch of us. I gave her some Meclizine and a bottle of ginger root capsules. She started taking the ginger root a week before the cruise and the Meclizine 3 or 4 days before. She never even felt queasy during the cruise, even though we had some rough seas one night and a couple of people in our group did get sick. She's been on 3 cruises with me so far, with #4 booked, and never been sick yet. But she gets sick if she's riding in the back seat of a car for more than a few minutes.

All depends on the intensity of your queasiness. Some just need ginger of sort kind, or those wrist bands; others respond to non drowsy Bonine or meclazine, some require the patch and others should never step foot on a moving vessel.

Only you can predict how you will feel and what you may want to bring for relief or avoidance or sea sick feeling. I'm lucky, doesn't bother me so far, and the worst seas I've been in were 15 - 18' in a way forward cabin.

The worse impact for me has been a few times when I couldn't use the treadmill in the gym because of the swaying of the ship, couldn't walk a straight line on the track.

We take ginger capsules daily starting the day before the cruise. I also believe that part of motion sickness is a state of mind. Fresh air works wonders. For some reason, being able to see what is causing the motion is helpful versus being in a room without windows for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

To answer your question about motion, instead of giving you sea sickness remedies (which are all good), unfortunately you will feel more motion in the aft than in the middle. But like stated above, having a balcony can be a big help.

Maybe you'll luck out and have smooth sailing. We were on the Vista in FEB and the sea was like glass the entire week. We didn't feel a sway anywhere on the ship, but a new cruiser with us said she felt it the entire time, so I suppose some people are more sensitive to it.