Ginger (Not Mary Ann) for seasickness

Ep010835

I've never tried ginger capsules to ward off sea sickness but given all of the positive things said on the board about them, I thought this cruise might be the time to give them a try. Have, of course, Bonine as the ever present go to ace-in-the-hole. Just in case!

I'm overwhelmed at all of the ginger choices out there and frankly don't know what to buy. The most common seems to be a 500mg capsule. But then again, most common doesn't always = the right thing to take.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The ginger capsules give me terrible heartburn unless I take them with a full meal, but I'm probably in the minority. Try one before you leave home just to make sure you're OK with them. We rarely need any seasickness remedy but if I do, I take the ginger chews and am fine with them

ginger chews...... between drinks......

Funny. I saw the title of the thread and reached for a Ginger Chew and was eating it when I saw this post. I love those things. I get them from Trader Joe's. I've never tried them for seasickness. As I am horribly sensitive to motion sickness I just use the Transderm Scop patch and I'm good to go.

Funny. I saw the title of the thread and reached for a Ginger Chew and was eating it when I saw this post. I love those things. I get them from Trader Joe's. I've never tried them for seasickness. As I am horribly sensitive to motion sickness I just use the Transderm Scop patch and I'm good to go.
they can be addictive, I go thru a couple of bags a month

they can be addictive, I go thru a couple of bags a month

I had a couple pieces of Ginger a long time ago...it was cray, cray good...and like you said - almost an addictive craving...;p...always wanted more...I had to let it go, and it wasn't easy to find a replacement at that time...:halo:

too much of a good thing I guess...

Given that I'm an Amazon junkie already, this was easy. Just ordered two bags.

Thanks to all. Y'all are the best!!

I've never tried ginger capsules to ward off sea sickness but given all of the positive things said on the board about them, I thought this cruise might be the time to give them a try. Have, of course, Bonine as the ever present go to ace-in-the-hole. Just in case!

I'm overwhelmed at all of the ginger choices out there and frankly don't know what to buy. The most common seems to be a 500mg capsule. But then again, most common doesn't always = the right thing to take.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We found these a few years ago and were very happy to get away from anything with drugs in it. They are made by the people who make Dramamine, but only have ginger in them and no drugs. Unless you are allergic to ginger, there is nothing in them to hurt or cause side effects. At least check them out:

dramamine-non-drowsy-naturals-jpg-500x500_q85.jpg

Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals

Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals, Dramamine®’s first truly non-drowsy offering.

● Contains the clinically tested ginger dosage required for preventing and treating motion sickness. Other sources of ginger, including candies, gums, or ginger ale, may not contain a full clinical dose.

● Prevents and treats the symptoms of motion sickness (nausea and vomiting) without drowsiness.

● Non-Drowsy Naturals is safe to use every day you travel since it’s made from natural ginger.

Available in an 18-count bottle.

They are made by the people who make Dramamine, but only have ginger in them and no drugs.

^ Yes. We are in Canada and the same product is made by Gravol. My daughter takes it when she flies and it is the only thing that works for her. OP Ep010835, not sure where you are but this is also an option if the ginger chews don't do it for you.

As an alternative, I use the wrist bands and find them effective.

We found these a few years ago and were very happy to get away from anything with drugs in it. They are made by the people who make Dramamine, but only have ginger in them and no drugs. Unless you are allergic to ginger, there is nothing in them to hurt or cause side effects. At least check them out:

dramamine-non-drowsy-naturals-jpg-500x500_q85.jpg

Dramamine® Non-Drowsy Naturals

Great, thanks. Just ordered these too. I look at it as cheap insurance!!

Between these, the Reed's chews and Bonine we should be darn near bullet proof!!

Edited by Ep010835
Adding text.

I absolutely detest the taste of ginger in any form but can attest to the effectiveness of chewable ginger tablets for serious, head over the commode seasickness which I have had twice, once around Cape Hatteras and when crossing the Drake Passage.

I chew them up quickly and follow with something I do like such as lemon or lime juice in water. Despite what for me is a horrible taste, those tablets work every time. The capsules have not worked for me.

Just reminds me, back in the day, on some Celebrity ships, there was a bowl of ginger candies on top of the maitre d's desk. Passengers would grab a few pieces on the way in and out of the dining room. We've been buying them ever since. Not sure if it works...but we don't get seasick and the ginger candy is good. :)

Candied ginger is pretty cheap and packable. If you run out you can also get ginger beer from a couple of bars onboard. Ginger ale is also a good standby, but it depends on the brand if it actually has ginger in it.

Another option is to go to a bar and ask for a plain soda, ginger ale or tonic with five or six dashes of bitters in it. That's a pretty traditional upset stomach treatment because of the herbs and flavoring in the bitters.

JMO -- but you really should talk with your family doctor. He knows you better than anyone here does. He knows what medications (if any) you take. He can suggest what he thinks will work for you especially if you have had any major medical problems.

I agree with you 100%. But why check with your family physician when you can all the medical advice you need from strangers on a cruise forum?:rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%. But why check with your family physician when you can all the medical advice you need from strangers on a cruise forum?clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

I always take (along with bonine) ginger capsules and ginger lozenges.

I'm going with the bonine, ginger capsules and ginger chews. What the heck would the sawbones know that a bunch of helpful strangers wouldn't! Love it!! :D