Princess Disappoints

19woody19

We just returned from a full transit through the Panama Canal aboard the Coral and we were very disappointed. We did this same cruise a few years ago and it was one of our favorites.

The difference? Last time we had several enrichment lectures prior to entering the canal and then the historian gave very interesting commentary for the 8 hours it took to make the transit. He was remarkable and had so many stories to share.

This time...NOTHING before the canal and NOTHING going through. The couples at our dining table were EXTREMELY upset, as were hundreds of others that had never been there before. I tried to explain a few things that I remembered but obviously that was not sufficient.

I spoke with the CD and was told that there was a mix up with Princess. DUH !

The very least they should have done was to announce why and apologize but again NOTHING.

We have been very loyal Princess cruisers for years but now we are considering going back to HAL or RC.

Yes, I am aware this is probably an isolated case but still they should have been more prepared. How about even having pre-recorded lectures and things to take special note of while traveling through?

Oh well, other than that it was a fun cruise but i do feel very sorry for all those that expected more and got nothing but some visual moments.

Sorry you were disappointed. I would have loved a quiet transit as the two times we have done it, the naturalist talked almost non-stop for 8 -10 hours. On one transit, the passengers cheered when he took a 10 minute break and a 20 minute lunch break, as he wouldn't shut up.

As always, the group suggests all passengers read The Path between the Seas prior to a Panama Canal cruise.

We just returned from a full transit through the Panama Canal aboard the Coral and we were very disappointed. We did this same cruise a few years ago and it was one of our favorites.

The difference? Last time we had several enrichment lectures prior to entering the canal and then the historian gave very interesting commentary for the 8 hours it took to make the transit. He was remarkable and had so many stories to share.

This time...NOTHING before the canal and NOTHING going through. The couples at our dining table were EXTREMELY upset, as were hundreds of others that had never been there before. I tried to explain a few things that I remembered but obviously that was not sufficient.

I spoke with the CD and was told that there was a mix up with Princess. DUH !

The very least they should have done was to announce why and apologize but again NOTHING.

We have been very loyal Princess cruisers for years but now we are considering going back to HAL or RC.

Yes, I am aware this is probably an isolated case but still they should have been more prepared. How about even having pre-recorded lectures and things to take special note of while traveling through?

Oh well, other than that it was a fun cruise but i do feel very sorry for all those that expected more and got nothing but some visual moments.

Yep, they seem to be not paying attention. We noticed on a few cruises recently that the lectures were defficient. Likewise, it appears that the string quartet in the atrium has disappeared. Coincidence? I think not.

Wow, we would have been disappointed as well as the main reason we would take the Panama Canal cruise is for enjoy the lectures on the history of the canal, especially if this was our first cruise through the Canal. Sorry you were disappointed but certainly understandable.

The good news (if any) is at least you had the basic's and the canal history previously from the enrichment expert on your last canal cruise.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the other aspects of the cruise

Srpilo

Yes, we felt very fortunate to have previously heard, and read, so much about the canal. I feel terrible for all those expecting to learn from someone with great knowledge who were so disappointed.

Sorry you were disappointed. I would have loved a quiet transit as the two times we have done it, the naturalist talked almost non-stop for 8 -10 hours. On one transit, the passengers cheered when he took a 10 minute break and a 20 minute lunch break, as he wouldn't shut up.

:D Have to agree! Some are better than others and only come on to discuss points of interest. That on & on & on & on gets old in a hurry!

Not on all ships. On the Caribbean in August, it was just half a string quartet--a violin and cello duo.

I don't recall a Princess cruise that didn't have some sort of classical group playing in the atrium in the evenings around dinner time, be it a duo, a trio or a quartet. They may also play in one of the lounges. For the poster whose cruise didn't have one, could have been for any number of reasons, such as missed air connection to home port, illness, etc.

FWIW, most, if not all, of these musical groups we've seen are from eastern European countries

I don't recall a Princess cruise that didn't have some sort of classical group playing in the atrium in the evenings around dinner time, be it a duo, a trio or a quartet. They may also play in one of the lounges. For the poster whose cruise didn't have one, could have been for any number of reasons, such as missed air connection to home port, illness, etc.

FWIW, most, if not all, of these musical groups we've seen are from eastern European countries

Every ship we've been on they've been playing as we went to dinner in the Piazza.

Taking this cruise Nov 21st! Now I have to READ a book first?

No. You can enjoy the cruise without knowing the history of the canal. Many people just go to go. There was also a documentary on PBS you could watch before you go if you are interested in the history.

Seem to be the coming trend. Just returned from an 11 day Canada to NYC and no port lecturers, in fact not even the navigators talk.

A friend just came back from a Baltic cruise on the Regal. He said there were no enrichment lecturers. I don't know about a port lecturer. It's a pity if Princess is cutting back in this area as I feel this is one area where Princess was offering something not all cruiselines offer. :)

Taking this cruise Nov 21st! Now I have to READ a book first?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No. You can enjoy the cruise without knowing the history of the canal. Many people just go to go. There was also a documentary on PBS you could watch before you go if you are interested in the history.

Here are two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHcvwjwGdfo

Gives as much info as the lecturer did and you can watch more than once. :D

Seem to be the coming trend. Just returned from an 11 day Canada to NYC and no port lecturers, in fact not even the navigators talk.

I have been on a few Canada NE cruises several years ago and we didn't have port lecturers on those cruises either. I am not sure if this area has ever had lecturers.