Holland America's Seattle HQ Maintains Its Downhill Spiral

Bosch

My wife & I recently sailed on the Eurodam, an extremely well-appointed ship. All the staff, as per usual, were superb. However, we were very disappointed in Seattle's continuing penny-pinching actions.

For the past 5 cruises, we really enjoyed the lobster dinner served weekly in the Lido Market. But sadly, we learned that Seattle has cancelled these dinners. Other passengers expressed their disappointment as well.

My wife was also surprised that fresh flowers were no longer placed in our Signature Suite. Save that money, Seattle!! But by all means, keep increasing the cost of liquor and other amenities onboard the ship!!

It appears that Seattle's motto is "Profit, profit, profit - all at the sake of customer satisfaction". Pitiful and sad indeed.

My wife & I recently sailed on the Eurodam, an extremely well-appointed ship. All the staff, as per usual, were superb. However, we were very disappointed in Seattle's continuing penny-pinching actions.

For the past 5 cruises, we really enjoyed the lobster dinner served weekly in the Lido Market. But sadly, we learned that Seattle has cancelled these dinners. Other passengers expressed their disappointment as well.

My wife was also surprised that fresh flowers were no longer placed in our Signature Suite. Save that money, Seattle!! But by all means, keep increasing the cost of liquor and other amenities onboard the ship!!

It appears that Seattle's motto is "Profit, profit, profit - all at the sake of customer satisfaction". Pitiful and sad indeed.

I could not agree with you more. Let's add the following: no more Steak Diane and Lobster Mac&Cheese side dish in the Pinnacle Grill; it seems the endless supply of bread pudding in the Lido has been replaced by a paltry amount offered one night for desert in the MDR; the list goes on and on; including the criminal price of the Pinnacle Suite with next to no amenities like similar suites on other cruise lines, ie: bar set up with booze of your choice and wine...oh no...use the pay for mini bar by all means. It's what I call the "dumbing down" of the cruise experience and almost all main stream lines are guilty of it. Oh well...thanks for giving me a reason to moan and groan today.

Cheers,

mdg1956

So, looking at Carnival Corp's financials for last quarter, their profit margin was about 24.8%, which is about typical for most businesses, and considered to be the "healthy" range by investors, certainly not rapacious. Much more important in a capital heavy industry like shipping is return on investment. Carnival Corp made $1.3 billion in net income on $40.6 billion in assets, for a return of 3.2% which is not that outstanding, and well below the 5% that is considered to be the median return. So, they can either cut back on amenities and hold fares low, or keep the amenities and raise fares, either way they are not making bundles of money, or reaping outrageous profits.

I could not agree with you more. Let's add the following: no more Steak Diane and Lobster Mac&Cheese side dish in the Pinnacle Grill; it seems the endless supply of bread pudding in the Lido has been replaced by a paltry amount offered one night for desert in the MDR; the list goes on and on; including the criminal price of the Pinnacle Suite with next to no amenities like similar suites on other cruise lines, ie: bar set up with booze of your choice and wine...oh no...use the pay for mini bar by all means. It's what I call the "dumbing down" of the cruise experience and almost all main stream lines are guilty of it. Oh well...thanks for giving me a reason to moan and groan today.

Cheers,

mdg1956

Lobster Mac & Cheese was an entree in PG- we paid the extra $10 for it once. We spoke to a PG chef about the Steak Diane and it was taken off the menu (along with other things) because it wasn't ordered enough. We eat in PG every night and probably could request Steak Diane if we wanted it.

We have never splurged for a PS- NS is fine for us. If we were offered a reasonable upsell we would try it. The reason they are so pricy is that people pay it- they are often booked months in advance. We usually have the SBP as part pf a promo so our alcohol and drinks are normally included.

I seen posts on Seabourn and Crystal boards about on board cutbacks- not just the "mainstream" lines.

We were on the Westerdam in November and there was bread pudding in the Lido every day at lunch. It was also offered as a dessert in the MDR one evening. They also had little cards on the tables in the Lido indicating lobster was available that night (which was a Gala night) - friends of ours said it was delicious.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We were on the Westerdam in November and there was bread pudding in the Lido every day at lunch. It was also offered as a dessert in the MDR one evening. They also had little cards on the tables in the Lido indicating lobster was available that night (which was a Gala night) - friends of ours said it was delicious.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks so much for the word about the bread pudding. Good news indeed. Now, I'm not a fan of bread pudding but the way HAL does it is just wonderful. We will be on Eurodam in July and I hope I'll find it in the Lido. Thanks again for the heads up.

So, looking at Carnival Corp's financials for last quarter, their profit margin was about 24.8%, which is about typical for most businesses, and considered to be the "healthy" range by investors, certainly not rapacious. Much more important in a capital heavy industry like shipping is return on investment. Carnival Corp made $1.3 billion in net income on $40.6 billion in assets, for a return of 3.2% which is not that outstanding, and well below the 5% that is considered to be the median return. So, they can either cut back on amenities and hold fares low, or keep the amenities and raise fares, either way they are not making bundles of money, or reaping outrageous profits.

Thank you, Voice of Reason.

The problem is that HAL is trying to maintain its place in the mainstream market - while competing with other Carnival brands, NCL and Royal - this market wants cheap cruises. Those who insist on upscale experience migrate to the higher end.

You cannot have it both ways: cheap fares do not buy top quality. I am thankful that HAL still seems to retain some of what sets them apart - and have to fight with myself every time I sail.

I would like to see HAL raise quality - and would gladly pay some more for it - but I’m inclined to think that they might know their market better than I do - and do not want to drive away too many .

The problem is that HAL is trying to maintain its place in the mainstream market - while competing with other Carnival brands, NCL and Royal - this market wants cheap cruises. Those who insist on upscale experience migrate to the higher end.

You cannot have it both ways: cheap fares do not buy top quality. I am thankful that HAL still seems to retain some of what sets them apart - and have to fight with myself every time I sail.

I would like to see HAL raise quality - and would gladly pay some more for it - but I’m inclined to think that they might know their market better than I do - and do not want to drive away too many .

Thanks for your comments. I agree with what you've said, especially with your last paragraph. Unfortunately, the common demographic for people cruising has changed from years ago, hence my original comment about the "dumbing down" of the cruise experience. In the name of the almighty dollar cruising is becoming like shopping at Walmart.

More profit is good. Higher stock price and increased quarterly dividend to shareholders.

Spot on - sure is refreshing to see Posts from folks who have a decent understanding of business.

Lots of people want cheap - cheap flights, cheap cruises, cheap consumer goods. So companies that go after their business have to provide a cheaper flight, cruise etc., or the people will go to an alternate cheaper business. Therefore the businesses need to cut back on something. You can't have low prices and the best quality. Something has to give.

I wonder when I hear people complain and say they would pay more if only the quality of their cruise was better, really mean it. I bet some would, but most would grumble about how high prices have become.

And the bottom line: cruiselines are for-profit businesses. If their profits drop, their investors are not happy.

Strange, on our October Veendam cruise the Lido offered lobster at least twice during a 13-day cruise. Maybe it depends on the ship.

We just got back from sailing on the Volendam in Asia, and we had lobster on all three of our B2B cruises.

I heard complaints about cutbacks on our Noordam - San Francisco to Auckland. No specifics though.

We've only had three cruises on HAL, one in 1999 before Carnival bought HAL. Last year on Voyage of the Vikings and this year.

We did have flowers (daisies in a bud vase) in our Signature Suite on Noordam. Saw them after embarkation in San Francisco, and fresh flowers after Sydney.

I didn't know this, but Noordam's bathroom doors are made w/ a hydrolic closure so you won't smash the fingers.

Rotterdam had a strong door magnet to keep the bathroom door open. With the suite amenities package we bought, we had fresh flowers weekly.