"Horror on the High Seas" ? Really?

Peachy59

Royal should just stop sailing out of Bayonne year round. The people who sail out of there simply do not understand that once out in the Atlantic in that area ships have very few options to avoid storms.

and cancel all of the TAs too. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to defend her - she over-reacted once she got to Bermuda. Should have stuck it out, the storm was gone on the way back. And HORROR on the high seas? For God's sake. Gimme a break. Discomfort on the high seas more like it.

Yes, being on the Costa Concordia when it sank, THAT would be horror!

Thanks.

I looked at the NCL threads and no one there seemed to have the "horror" experience.

No, they didn't have a bad transit. We spoke to a bunch of people on a shuttle to and from Horseshoe Bay Beach and none of them complained about the seas. Leaving a day earlier made a big difference, the storm was still over land when they left. Even when we were in the water riding the waves, people were asking what ship we were from and were looking for the horror stories they had seen online.

Had we gone to New England/Canada the issue would have been coming back. When we left Bayonne, the storm was predicted to be stalled off New York/New Jersey into Wednesday and then move up towards NE. We would have been coming directly into what was left of the storm in order to get to Bayonne. If it was a longer cruise, it might have been a viable solution, but it was only a 5 night cruise.

ahhh, makes sense.

My sister and I were also on the "Hurricane Sandy" cruise. We were also on the Anthem this past February when we hit the big storm and had to turn back to Bayonne amid all the nation-wide publicity. Yes, seas were high. Yes, the wind was fierce. Yes, we rocked and rolled. But we never felt we were in mortal danger. I guess we must be gluttons for punishment, because we have scheduled our Anthem "do-over" cruise for NEXT February! Stay tuned....:D

We were also out during Hurricane Sandy on Carnival Dream. We followed the storm and ended up with an extra sea day (our 7-day cruise turned into an 8-day) bobbing off the coast of South Florida. Very rough seas for the last 3 days, barf bags out at the elevator banks. Never once did we not feel safe.

This has turned into our favorite time of the year to cruise. We've sailed the first two weeks of September for the past couple of years, and have had beautiful weather.

I´ve been on the Celebrity Summit out of Cape Liberty in 2010 when hurricane Earl followed us up the coast. We had to skip St. John´s and went directly to Halifax. Then we added another sea day and made a wide turn out into the Atlantic. The second last night by 4 am the ship had a severe list and everything fell down (a lot of damage all over the ship including all dishes which were already laid out for breakfast in the MDR). The rocking started earlier that night and it continued all day long. Of course the dining room was a bit less crowded than usual :rolleyes:. Some crew and passengers were injured during that list by falling objects. We had waves up to 33 ft. But we had to return to Cape Liberty and go through the aftermaths of Earl. BTW we arrived more than 6 hours late (by noon instead of 6 am) and lots of people missed their flights back home.

Sure it was not a fun experience but since then I know I don´t get seasick :D! But I never was "horrified" or felt "unsave" in any kind. And those were the days you weren´t informed by the captain every other minute.

steamboats

Darn it, I first thought this post was about celebrating Halloween onboard while cruising ...

I can understand it being a terrifying experience for them if it was their first time cruising ... but anyone going on an Ocean cruise has to be cognizant of the fact that the open seas can be a rough go when Mother Nature is stirring up the pot. Agree with boscobeans that it appears the ship was handling itself quite well despite the "rough" seas ...

I must be getting used to ocean cruising when the weather is not cooperating ... I remember one cruise where I was in line at the Guest Services desk ... boat was a rockin', waves were smashing into the windows behind the Guest Services desk which caused quite some consternation amoung some of the passengers ... and I'm just swaying along with the movement of the ship. Or the one time we exited into some really bad weather in the Atlantic ... majority of the passengers and number of the crew quite ill ... both of us to the point where there was nothing more left to thr-w up (forget about sucking on ice to stay hydrated) ... for some reason, I got up, "crawled" to the Theatre for the last round of Bingo (there were more sea sickness bags in the Theatre than there were passengers) ... then crawled back to our stateroom and back into bed ... now those were rough seas ...

Anyone else wish they were actually on the Anthem through the storm? I mean hey you are on the open seas, if you don't fee comfy with a bit of rough weather maybe you shouldn't chose this itinerary. Stick to something from FL that can hug the islands or don't cruise at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It sure looks like the woman overreacted. The newscast writers also overreacted with the "Horror on the High Seas" line. But it was catchy though. You sure don't get ratings with "Minor Irritation on the High Seas". :) So they both overreacted, big deal, people always overreact. Just read all the tipping, or formal wear threads around here. :D

I just look at this as a public service announcement. Now more people will know the seas can be rough, especially at this time of year on the east coast. And if that knowledge causes some people avoid cruises all the better, more selection and better prices for me!

Edited by DirtyDawg

I was on the Jewel of the Seas in late October 2011 sailing from Boston. We left as a Nor'easter was coming in. The first night there were occasionally waves washing over the promenade deck and of course all the outside decks were closed. I think the winds were over 100 knots at one point. All I can say is that ship has some darn good stabilizers because, although it was rough, it really wasn't that bad on board.

I was in the Champagne Bar after dinner sitting at the bar with my back to the window holding my drink with one hand and the metal pipe on the edge of the bar with the other. It was quite an adventure!

AMY!!!!!! Hi Ya!

Hearing that story makes me laugh and reminds me of our Jewel 2012 cruise where that one day on the way back to Boston I was feeling a little 'rough' but had a great time in the DL with ya!

I am Canadian as well and use the Metric system, but obviously this woman has no clue what the size of 40'-60' really means. All the other comments from this cruise had the waves pegged at 12'-20' in height.

I feel sorry for anyone who had to experience this, but when you knowingly book during hurricane season, you always run this chance. RCCL would have been blasted too if they kept the ship docked and decided NOT to sail. It is a no win situation.

I found it so funny that they disembarked the ship to stay in a hotel in Bermuda and then fly back to Toronto when the weather was perfect by all other accounts. So strange that the TV camera crew were waiting at the airport for you to arrive so that they could interview you as well...

P.S. Too bad your daughter in the video had to experience rough weather like this. Why are you taking your kid out of the first week of school back home anyways? That is what the summer break is for...

1) Why are Bermuda cruises even offered during the peak of hurricane season?

2) Don't people know that it's hurricane season when they book their cruise?

I do think Royal Caribbean has been too risky in their approach to storms, regardless of how accurate or exaggerated this report may have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't read every post but I find it funny that everyone has to immediately come to the defense of the cruise line.

Hurricane season is six months out of the year including summer when most families are able to vacation so saying avoid it is stupid.

It is ok for someone to have been upset with experiencing high waves and having been sick the entire time because of it. To be dismissive that someone may have been scared just because you say it's fine is again stupid.

And everyone saying the captain will make sure you are fine, right because no one has ever died on a cruise ship because a captain made a bad decision...

People are allowed to complain and criticize the way something was handled. No need to act like your mother is being called names and you have to defend her.

If someone wants to say they hate royal simply because and they hope they go out of business my response is so what. That impacts me in no way.

I was on Explorer of the Seas as Hurricane Wilma was hitting Florida. We left almost 3 hours early and left a lot of people behind. The first day we had nearly 100 knot winds and you couldn't go outside. Waves were similar to what I see in this video. My mother is the most sea-sick prone person on Earth (I swear she could get sea sick looking at a glass of water) and she was fine, just took Dramamine. Sure some people were sick and walking was a tad challenging - but this lady is blowing this stuff way out of proportion.

We sailed on Explorer of the Seas 20/28/12 sailing right into Hurricane Sandy. We had 45 ft waves and winds clocked at 187 kph. It was rough. There was damage to the ship. At least 3 people fell and broke an arm. Seas were MUCH rougher than this video. We knew before we got to the port and boarded the ship what we were getting into. We went prepared with seasickness meds, and none of us got sick. We also held onto handrails on the steps, and walking down the hall bounced from one side to the other. We made it to Bermuda on time. It was one hell of a ride which I will always remember and hope to never experience again. It has not changed our cruising habits. Leaving tomorrow on Oasis. This is the height of hurricane season.

I too was on that sailing on October 28. It was a great ride and the Capt. and crew did a great job of taking care of us. I also have sailed through the edges of other hurricanes and loved it also. What can I say I love those rough rides. And I find myself sleeping better when the "Ship is a Rocking".

In 3 weeks I'll be back on the Explorer.

I was on Explorer of the Seas as Hurricane Wilma was hitting Florida. We left almost 3 hours early and left a lot of people behind. The first day we had nearly 100 knot winds and you couldn't go outside. Waves were similar to what I see in this video. My mother is the most sea-sick prone person on Earth (I swear she could get sea sick looking at a glass of water) and she was fine, just took Dramamine. Sure some people were sick and walking was a tad challenging - but this lady is blowing this stuff way out of proportion.

Just curious how it works with leaving early and leaving ppl behind? Are they warned to leave 3 hours earlier the night before? Just didn't know this ever happened!

AMY!!!!!! Hi Ya!

Hearing that story makes me laugh and reminds me of our Jewel 2012 cruise where that one day on the way back to Boston I was feeling a little 'rough' but had a great time in the DL with ya!

Hi Cat! That was a great time, wasn't it? Not nearly as rough as my 2011 cruise though. I miss seeing you! Hug the kittehs for me. :)

We were on this sailing. Ship listed so much they shut down the elevators and sent us all to our rooms. Our balcony room flooded, as did many others. This was the first night of the cruise - the rest of the trip was picture perfect. The carpet in our room was replaced by the end of the week. It smelled pretty bad for a few days, but it was bearable. Royal took good care of us and we will cruise on...