Vaccination

Guym20

You don't need any special vaccinations. It is important to make sure that your vaccinations are up-to date; tetanus, for example, and all routine shots.

If you are pregnant, or plan to be, it's not a good idea to travel to areas where Zitka is prevalent. Use bug protection and check with your doctor for opinions on Zika, or any other possible problems (not just pregnancy related). Much better than asking here. Your physician knows your personal history.

I'm going to Labedee, Falmouth and Cozumel on September.

Should I be getting any vaccinations?

What about the Zika virus?

Thanks

Nothing other than routine vaccinations which hopefully you are current on. Either you or your physician should have that info, not this board.

Ask your doctor. It's good to stay updated on inoculations anyway. Nothing special for these ports, but a Hep A shot (actually 2) a few months before is not a bad idea. As for ZIKA, dengue, chikungunya, malaria, etc., it's best to use a good DEET repellant after applying sunscreen , since there is no vaccination for these illnesses.

We've never been vaccinated for any cruise we've been on in 26 years - it has never been deemed necessary by our physician. Including the ports of call you list many times. And zika's primary concern as mentioned is to pregnant women - so if you are or are planning to be perhaps you should take note.

A lot depends on how old you are. Some vaccinations are now common childhood ones, that were not even available when I was a child. :D

But do talk to your doctor, or better, go to a travel clinic where they do this for a living. Also, check the CDC pages for recommendations.

I would not travel without Hap A and B, DPT, adult polio booster, and the typical mumps/measles.

I actually maintain a lot more, as I travel a lot to places were you REALLY do not want be missing any.

Ask your doctor. It's good to stay updated on inoculations anyway. Nothing special for these ports, but a Hep A shot (actually 2) a few months before is not a bad idea. As for ZIKA, dengue, chikungunya, malaria, etc., it's best to use a good DEET repellant after applying sunscreen , since there is no vaccination for these illnesses.

Another vote for check with your doctor:) We've never had extra vaccinations for travel, but our son is taking a mission trip to Guatemala and Hep A was recommended (also Hep B and Tetanus, but he's had these). Today he had the first shot which will give a good level of coverage, but the booster cannot be given for at least 6 months (which will be after his trip). If you are super concerned then you should allow extra time for both, but we were assured he would have enough coverage with the one (and to follow up with the second so he is fully covered for any future travel).

We've never been vaccinated for any cruise we've been on in 26 years - it has never been deemed necessary by our physician. Including the ports of call you list many times. And zika's primary concern as mentioned is to pregnant women - so if you are or are planning to be perhaps you should take note.

It's been a few years since I heard it, but I thought Zika could also be sexually transmitted so anyone planning to conceive (including dad) needed to use precautions as well as pregnant mothers.

Same here. We always ensure that our Hep vaccinations are up to date.

They are "lifetime" vaccinations. No updates required.

However polio was once lifetime after childhood vaccination. But now they are recommending a one time adult (after 18) booster. And for some areas, a more recent booster.

Another vote for check with your doctor:) We've never had extra vaccinations for travel, but our son is taking a mission trip to Guatemala and Hep A was recommended (also Hep B and Tetanus, but he's had these). Today he had the first shot which will give a good level of coverage, but the booster cannot be given for at least 6 months (which will be after his trip). If you are super concerned then you should allow extra time for both, but we were assured he would have enough coverage with the one (and to follow up with the second so he is fully covered for any future travel).

How old is your son?

Since the 90s, most Hep B vaccines are combined with Hep A.

He does not HAVE to wait 6 months, it can be done after 1 month, and will increase the protection. But not as much as after 6.

How old is your son?

Since the 90s, most Hep B vaccines are combined with Hep A.

He does not HAVE to wait 6 months, it can be done after 1 month, and will increase the protection. But not as much as after 6.

He's 13. His immunization record showed Hep B but not a combo with A, and family doctor confirmed he did not have A. Since it is for travel and not a health risk insurance does not cover so we were sent to the state health clinic for the shot. They are the ones who stated we would need to wait 6 months, so it may be an economic rule vs. a health rule.

I'm going to Labedee, Falmouth and Cozumel on September.

Should I be getting any vaccinations?

What about the Zika virus?

Thanks

We have been to the Caribbean more times than I can count ,or so it seems and have yet to be bitten.A few years ago I decided not to wear shorts but I was the only one.

They are "lifetime" vaccinations. No updates required.

However polio was once lifetime after childhood vaccination. But now they are recommending a one time adult (after 18) booster. And for some areas, a more recent booster.

Usually Hep is "forever." But not always. One of my docs ran some specialized tests and recommended the series be repeated.

Usually Hep is "forever." But not always. One of my docs ran some specialized tests and recommended the series be repeated.

You are correct, especially if you are looking at the concept of measurable antibodies. We have defined levels of antibody which are considered protective, although there are good studies which show that immunologic memory may allow response to rev up quickly even when the antibody level is low in the unchallenged state. As we age our general immune system and our antibody levels tend to decline.

I’m getting too technical so let’s just say that if your doctor suggests a booster, go for it.

I would not repeat the series, but I do get a booster every so often.

I do travel to some out of the way places for work.