Hurricane Updates

But it is named -- Alberto.

Will cause problems for many.

Flooding is the biggest threat at this point, along with some gusty winds. Nothing at all like the devestation Superstorm Sandy caused to NY/NJ.

I never heard of a Florida governor declaring a state of emergency for a thunderstorm like the current one did today.

Precaution. By declaring a state of emergency he gets the EOC in operation. We've been caught with our pants down in the past. We just had 11 days of rain. We can't take a whole lot more before we have some serious flooding.

Precaution. By declaring a state of emergency he gets the EOC in operation. We've been caught with our pants down in the past. We just had 11 days of rain. We can't take a whole lot more before we have some serious flooding.

...and he isn't only Governor declare State of Emergency for this one. It's not political, it's better safe then sorry. Recent years, post 9/11 there is already Full time support 24/7 at each State Headquarters anyway...

Also, state declaration is the first step, to getting FEMA involved.

And an early declaration can get FEMA assests mobilized to get closer for faster response if needed.

This is where Louisiana dropped the ball during Katrina. They did not declare an emergency and did not "request" Federal help, even when FEMA called them to get things started.

If we get any more rain we'll be using the inflatable pool toys to get to the grocery store.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We now have 3 pools, the one that is screened in, the one in the side yard and the one in the far back corner of the yard. One really is sufficient!!!

I thought I could get a quick walk in with the dog, well we got a run in instead, half way around the block it started pouring again.

Florida has been getting drenched for the past 2 weeks.

Lol! It's a tropical depression...in other words...a thunderstorm.

Only someone who has never been in Florida when even a tropical depression rolls through could be so off base.

The only thing that the west coast of Florida is lucking out on is that we are on the west side of the storm. The winds will push the gulf waters away from the shore for the most part.

That will change, of course, as the storm moves north and we change to having the winds coming ashore.

It’s nice to see someone put personal safety above money.

Hurricane?? Super Storm??!! Did I miss something?

But I did see a family of alligators cruising through our back yard in their log yacht. They looked pretty happy anyway. :cool:

Cheers to living in "the swamp". ;p:D:wine-glass::bottle-pop:

Hurricane?? Super Storm??!! Did I miss something?

But I did see a family of alligators cruising through our back yard in their log yacht. They looked pretty happy anyway. :cool:

Cheers to living in "the swamp". ;p:D:wine-glass::bottle-pop:

Soooo instead of "Groovin' on a Sunday afternoon" (Young Rascals), they would be "Cruisin' on a Sunday afternoon.:cool:

Lol! It's a tropical depression...in other words...a thunderstorm.

Gawd. This ‘thunderstorm’ that’s knocking on my front door will drop 10-12 inches and bring 60 mph winds. We are under tropical STORM watch until Tuesday. But what do we know... we just live here

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Soooo instead of "Groovin' on a Sunday afternoon" (Young Rascals), they would be "Cruisin' on a Sunday afternoon.:cool:

Oh you are so bad...another song stuck in my head now thanks to you. ;p:')

The gators looked like they were enjoying some tropical drinks as they cruised on by....I think they had spiked Gatorade. :tropical-drink::tropical-drink: :')

So we have one person say it is a Super Storm another equate it to a thunderstorm..... Personally, if I had to choose a side, the thunderstorm comment is more accurate. Sending out a message this is a Super Storm is hyperbole and could very well alter someone's cruise vacation plans for no reason. For "most" Floridians this is nothing more than a rain event and nothing to get shook up about...…..however, in this particular instance we have been getting steady rain for about 2 weeks totaling about 15 inches in our area.....keeping the pool level correct has been quite annoying.