Princess stock

framer

Although I'm no fan of it, I wonder if a split is on the horizon soon.

I doubt it.

A number of stocks have reached a level way past where a share was when there last was a split.

There used to be many more companies doing splits to make a stock "more affordable" when most purchases were in round lots of multiples of 100 shares. However, the cost is the same if you buy 50 shares of a $120 stock or 100 shares of a $60 stock. Since it is so easy now to purchase any number of shares you want, there is no incentive to split to make a 100 share lot look more affordable.

In general, most stock is not held by individual investors, but by giant mutual funds and corporate investments for funding pensions. They will trade in and out of stocks they want to purchase/sell without any concern for a share being priced for affordability. In the case of CCL stock there is the additional factor that over 50% of the stock is controlled by one family.

Of course for CCL stock, a high price for a share means less people will purchase 100 shares to take advantage of OBC.

The broker tried to talk us out of it..."bad investment, you won't make any $$".:evilsmile:

No sure why a broker would tell you it a bad investment. I bought at $48 per share, on Feb 2, it was up to $70 plus per share. That's up over $22 per share. No bad in my opinion

I purchased 100 shares from IRA account, received the $250 OBC for a 15 day cruise + $45 dividend and sold it for a $400 profit two weeks later. Don't know if I will cruise again in the future. But it was a great way to get the OBC fast. My son did the same thing. Everything to gain and nothing lost. I am happy with that.

My brother owns Royal Caribbean stock. He runs into roadblocks a lot of times and doesn't get to combine shareholder credit with some specials. It's nice that Carnival Corp. doesn't have as many restrictions. It's also nice that we can try the other Carnival Corp. lines and get the credit as well.

I own both RCL and CCL stock. One really nice thing about Princess is that they let us stack OBC. My last cruise on RCL they would not allow me to stack a FCD OBC and stock OBC. They told me one or the other. So I chose the other and now sail on Princess all the time. I still own the RCL stock but do not cruise on their ships. RCL has become very money hungry and very difficult to deal with.

No sure why a broker would tell you it a bad investment. I bought at $48 per share, on Feb 2, it was up to $70 plus per share. That's up over $22 per share. No bad in my opinion
My broker also tried to talk us out of it as a bad investment when the stock price was only $25. That was when the oil crisis made it so that everyone was predicting a change in vacation habits.

We've made a habit of reminding him how much OBC we've gotten, in addition to the dividends he already knows about, every time we have a review. He has since apologized and wishes he had bought stock when we told him we wanted it.

Thanks for the information. I might just have to add CCL to my portfolio at the next market correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Today might be a good day to do so?

CCL dropped yesterday $1.91 to $68.04

Howard

My broker also tried to talk us out of it as a bad investment when the stock price was only $25. That was when the oil crisis made it so that everyone was predicting a change in vacation habits.

We've made a habit of reminding him how much OBC we've gotten, in addition to the dividends he already knows about, every time we have a review. He has since apologized and wishes he had bought stock when we told him we wanted it.

Apologize he should and have a heaping portion of humble pie.

The value of my CCL stock has more than doubled since I purchased it. The dividends haven't been all that bad; so I have to list them on my tax scheduled, BUT the OBC's are not taxed and to me, the best investment I've made in a long time.

Darcy

Ours has, too. It's a great investment if you cruise Princess often.

We faxed in our forms on Tuesday afternoon, and by Wednesday morning our $250 was in our Cruise Personalizer.

I bought it for the OBC...the fact that it is behaving well is a plus' date=' but will really only affect me if/when I opt to sell it. As long as I'm cruising and getting the OBC, there's no point in selling.[/quote']

Same here, and I certainly have never regretted it. The dividends are piddly but the OBC has fully returned my investment several times over in the 9 years I have held it.

My financial advisor knows to leave it untouched until/unless I tell him otherwise!

• 4 months later...

As with many stocks it all depends when you bought it. For many time periods CCL has been a poor performer. It has underperformed the S&P stock index over the last 10 years and over the last 20 years. It is lower today than it was in2004.

As with many stocks it all depends when you bought it. For many time periods CCL has been a poor performer. It has underperformed the S&P stock index over the last 10 years and over the last 20 years. It is lower today than it was in 2004.

High for 2014 was $46.31. It closed Monday at $58.54, so not lower than it was in 2004.

The stock hit an all-time high of almost $73 back in Feb. and is currently at $58 (probably some profit-taking, plus oil is on the rise). If you're a cruiser, you need to take into account the shareholder benefit you get on each cruise: $250 OBC for 14-day and longer cruises; $100 OBC for 7- to 13-day cruises. Also dividend is 3.4% yield at the moment (and higher if you bought the stock in the 30s as we did some years ago). For many years we took 2-3 14+ day cruises a year until recently so we can't complain!

CCL closed today at $58.07. It pays a quarterly dividend of $.50/share or $50 on 100 shares ($200/year). We will or have received $600 OBC for a return of 13.8% total (dividend + OBC) based on today's price. The OBC offer is for all of Carnival Corp cruise lines. Luckily we bought the stock back in early 2009 during the great recession for a fraction of today's price. Since we have been or will be on 3 cruises this year, the investment is a bargain.