Norwegian Sun

bbryan5

As a new cruiser to NCL, these type of incidents really concern me. No, I don't think NCL has learned their lesson. What has NCL said or done that makes you think they will change their practices? All they've done is back pedal and offered a credit on a future cruise. Nothing they've done gives me a warm feeling inside.

I wasn't on the cruise but I think the offer is very fair, but I'm not impressed with how NCL handled this. I don't think they would have done anything better than 25% until the media got a hold of it. This leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

You were on the cruise, how many passengers disembarked at the first available port? If I was concerned for my health and safety, I would be off the ship ASAP! Children should sue their parents for keeping them on this ship under such conditions.

My wife and I have not sailed Norwegian, but we were strongly considering it as we have found cruising to be our style of vacation, and look forward to having a bit of variety through different lines.

I was looking at the Breakaway when it comes to Port Canaveral, but after reading about how this was handled, my wife has already put her foot down and said "I am never cruising Norwegian".

The fact that they put revenue before passengers safety and experience was bad enough, but the response with the 25% future cruise credit was a slap in the face.

It had us hot just reading the foxnews.com article. I cant imagine how the passengers must have felt.

I still feel the "Future cruise" credit offer to be insulting (considering hat the majority of the passengers who experienced this never want to cruise with Norwegian again, or for some people, might not ever want to cruise again).

They deserve a full refund. That was not the experience they bought. Norwegian should be taking the loss on this for the experience they provided, not the customers.

This is now national news. It was on ABC World News Tonight.

Yes. Just saw this. We have a big vacation next year planned on the Jade- similar to the cruise we took with you in 2016 (my favorite vacation to date). We’re still onboard but will definitely be looking at other passengers feedback going forward.

I think this mishap and how they initially reacted is really going to hurt the line. It’s a textbook PR case of what not to do.

I’m rooting for them to weather this storm and prove to customers going forward that they’re taking care of business proper. Probably a given that the Sun construction experience won’t be repeated.

The Haven is really the only way I got husband back to enjoying cruises. If Ncl’s profits go down their on board experience is likely to suffer too. Forum cheerleading can’t fill ships. Providing passengers decent food in mdr, excellent food in speciality, great staff & on board experience gets great reviews and repeat passengers. Cutting back on Haven experience dining quality... only makes passengers look elsewhere. Simply filling the Haven with bargain upgrades isn’t going to attract repeat Haven customers. If anything charge more for higher quality extras but now isn’t the time to cut back in order to make up for any losses this PR nightmare will likely produce.

Just saw on one of the Star roll calls that ncl assures the passenger there would be no construction on the TA cruise before dry dock but did admit they would do “wet dock” on the PC cruise departing tomorrow (we are on it), surely they will not be repeating this debacle?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just saw on one of the Star roll calls that ncl assures the passenger there would be no construction on the TA cruise before dry dock but did admit they would do “wet dock” on the PC cruise departing tomorrow (we are on it), surely they will not be repeating this debacle?

Wet dock? Sounds like PC stands for politically correct in this case.

We will be on the Sun next March for a SA around the horn cruise. We got a great "group" rate but unfortunately it is in a lower cabin category than we regularly cruise in. Hopefully we will be able to bid on an upgrade when the time comes.

Previously we had read such conflicting stories of the Sun. "She is tired, she is old, needs much refurbishing". Then there is "My favorite ship, great crew, great areas". When we heard she was going into drydock for an intense makeover, we had no qualms about booking her. Now not everyone can be Haven or Suite guests and we might have to use the public decks for the scenic cruising part and hopefully all will look "shiny and new" when we sail, but not at the expense of other passengers. My heart went out to those on the recent Panama Canal cruise "from hell" and was so happy that NCL offered them a full credit for a future cruise. I know that some wanted their money refunded because they "will never sail NCL again" and maybe NCL should have given them that choice.

We have only been cruising for a few years and some of our cruises were better than others. but by no means anything like they endured. I pray they will be happy with their next cruise and it will be "best cruise ever!".

You will keep us up to date? Please.

They could not be that stupid, could they? If they are then FDR should be fired.

For a cruise company to even consider "wet dock" aka "construction at sea" is a good enough reason to assert your right to choose. I have seen the pictures and videos. No one should every experience this on our cherished cruises. Total deck refinishing is not my idea of a relaxing, safe trip. NCL allegedly has a contract with the deck refinishing company for all ships in the fleet. So will this happen again????

I will speak with my pocket book. Future cruises will stay with companies that have treated me well.

Fingers crossed for excellent cruise experiences for everyone.

For a cruise company to even consider "wet dock" aka "construction at sea" is a good enough reason to assert your right to choose. I have seen the pictures and videos. No one should every experience this on our cherished cruises. Total deck refinishing is not my idea of a relaxing, safe trip. NCL allegedly has a contract with the deck refinishing company for all ships in the fleet. So will this happen again????

I will speak with my pocket book. Future cruises will stay with companies that have treated me well.

Fingers crossed for excellent cruise experiences for everyone.

Ok you are smart for not wanting to support a company that treats people poorly.

No signs of construction so far, guest services says no plans to until dry dock

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Hopefully there will be no wet dock for you. It’s hard to imagine who at NCL thought that was a good idea for the Sun, and hopefully that “Lesson Learned” has been really learned and that judgement in error will not occur again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a new cruiser to NCL, these type of incidents really concern me. No, I don't think NCL has learned their lesson. What has NCL said or done that makes you think they will change their practices? All they've done is back pedal and offered a credit on a future cruise. Nothing they've done gives me a warm feeling inside.

Then I guess it is safe to say, you will not cruise NCL again. I am sure you are not the only one, but this is probably why they didn't offer a full refund. For those who do not think they have learned even though this type of thing has never happened before offering a full refund would not have made any difference. You are either willing to give them another try or you are not. There is no right of wrong answer here. I do question though why you think they have not learned. :(

Then I guess it is safe to say, you will not cruise NCL again. I am sure you are not the only one, but this is probably why they didn't offer a full refund. For those who do not think they have learned even though this type of thing has never happened before offering a full refund would not have made any difference. You are either willing to give them another try or you are not. There is no right of wrong answer here. I do question though why you think they have not learned. :(

I have a cruise scheduled. I haven't walked away. I can't prove a negative. NCL has offered a credit. They haven't said we'll never do this again.

What makes you think they HAVE learned?

I have a cruise scheduled. I haven't walked away. I can't prove a negative. NCL has offered a credit. They haven't said we'll never do this again.

What makes you think they haven’t learned?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go back and read what you wrote also your answer to the poster that said they would not support NCL> I think you will realize it appears you will not be sailing them again and you made the comment about they have not learned or it appears they have not. Again, what would make you say that? I didn't say they had learned as I don't know that. I only said I hope they have learned. Until things calm down none of uw will know for sure if they will repeat, but I do believe in giving everyone a second chance. :rolleyes:

Remaining in the news - today on Marketwatch

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/it-was-constant-jackhammering-how-construction-ruined-a-10000-cruise-and-what-travelers-can-do-about-it-2018-04-12

Passengers now/soon sailing on the Star (one niece & dozen+ of her friends boarding in Miami) and the Breakaway leaving from NYC this Sunday on its TA ahead of dry docking ... aren't going to be fooled again.

MEMO to anyone else onboard who find anything suspect or otherwise to the contrary, please collect specimen/samples for evidence ... in addition to video & photographic documentation. Bag those dust, powder or what not, I dislike & hate to be a devil's advocate ... :evilsmile:

What other cruise lines were in the news recently for doing construction during a cruise? I'll admit I don't know the answer.
Not recently, but February of 2017, the Carnival Glory did construction during that cruise and there were many complaints.

IMHO the whole point is whether the customer believed they received what they purchased and were lead to believe what the product was/is.

The risk to health issues on ths recent Sun cruise leads one to think the passengers did not get what they purchased but also put health of people at risk. In addition, this appears to be all kinds of health regulations issues.

Wow, how fun is that!!! Not a fun vacation that anyone would sign up for.

Anyone can express opinions about what happened, but unless you were on that ship you do not know so please be respectful of those who were.

I know people love NCL but you have to admit they have deteriorated for the customer since FDR took over.

I am Plat Plus so I have seen this first hand.

Costa and Carnival disasters are really good examples of what happens when a cruise lines treat passengers unconscionably.

For example, we were on a Carnival ship in 1988; it was horrible. When I wrote them they offered us 25% off of our next cruise with them. What a joke....why would we go back to? This is only a small example.

I would never cruise Costa knowing that they ignored the safety and irresponsibility that Captain had, previous to their tragedy.

NCL needs to realize that this is what people are thinking and believing with this recent disrespect and risk of safety of their passengers on the Sun. Why would someone sail with NCL if they did not feel they are safe (on all levels)? Why would those cruisers on the Sun go back to NCL?

They appear to be the next cruise line that is low quality therefore the repeat cruiser rate will be low also, IMHO. I have seen it already, it all adds up eventually. Poor business move.

Safe cruising all! :)

Edited by Cruisercl
typo