no upgrade button at booking

emmaasher

Hey . Booked a new cruise yesterday and was suprised when after i chose my room that there is now an option to say whether you are ok to be upgraded or not. Is this new?

i booked online just for clarification.

Edited by emmaasher
clarification

Note that what Princess calls an "upgrade" may not fit with my definition of an upgrade. It can mean a change of location, which may or may not be desirable to the individual.

Sorry, but I don't consider it an "upgrade" unless there is a move from one cabin type to another (inside to oceanview, for example.) They call this a meta upgrade.

Note that what Princess calls an "upgrade" may not fit with my definition of an upgrade. It can mean a change of location' date=' which may or may not be desirable to the individual.

Sorry, but I don't consider it an "upgrade" unless there is a move from one cabin type to another (inside to oceanview, for example.) They call this a meta upgrade.[/quote']

Even a change to a "better" type cabins can lead to a much poorer location. However, it is still an upgrade.

Hey . Booked a new cruise yesterday and was suprised when after i chose my room that there is now an option to say whether you are ok to be upgraded or not. Is this new?

i booked online just for clarification.

That would be a new option & it's something that's long overdue. That was there years ago but since then it required contacting your booking source (Princess or TA).

Does it give you the option to either accept any upgrade or to only accept a META upgrade (to a higher type of cabin such as interior to oceanview)?

When booking through my TA both of them are options for my reservation.

However as others have posted, a category upgrade to the same type of cabin in a different location could be a less desirable location for you.

Even a change to a "better" type cabins can lead to a much poorer location. However, it is still an upgrade.

E402x.jpg.9ea1e86c57ee9a3ccd82e4ffd38fe72b.jpg

E 402 cat.OB

E330x.jpg.66c688cc308b0bc5f3bff46e934cc445.jpg

E 330 cat.OV

The above are upgrades according to Princess from this

803035494_E633Ruby.jpg.bb62696efdcba272426492c60f94f065.jpg

E 632 cat.OY

?????????:eek::eek:

Theo

Terrible!! I'd refuse those upgrades in a heartbeat.

Although when marking a reservation to accept an “upgrade” don’t they automatically make the change before asking for approval? And then passengers have to hope to get their original cabin back?

That’s my recollection & is why I hesitate to mark accepting an “upgrade” which could be worse for me.

Although when marking a reservation to accept an “upgrade” don’t they automatically make the change before asking for approval? And then passengers have to hope to get their original cabin back?

That’s my recollection & is why I hesitate to mark accepting an “upgrade” which could be worse for me.

I’m with you. I pick the cabin I want and mark it no upgrade. Even a meta upgrade isn’t always better in my opinion.

I’m with you. I pick the cabin I want and mark it no upgrade. Even a meta upgrade isn’t always better in my opinion.

I feel the same about some META requests.

We have a midship obstructed oceanview cabin without any real obstruction. We confirmed that a META upgrade would be to a balcony instead of an oceanview cabin forward. That location doesn’t work as well for my motion sickness prone wife although she’s agreed to accept any balcony cabin.

However our experiences have been that free upgrades are very rare since Princess realized that passengers are willing to pay a reasonable amount for an upsell offer.

I just looked at my Princess reservations and I didn't see a 'button' for any upgrade. I would definitely like to make it clear that I do NOT want an upgrade. I've selected cabine and location I want. Any suggestion of where I'm supposed to look?

OP saw the choice when making the booking.

Since you already have the booking you will have to call your TA (or Princess if you are not using a TA) and ask to have your booking marked "will not accept upgrade."

[ATTACH]420057[/ATTACH]

E 402 cat.OB

[ATTACH]420059[/ATTACH]

E 330 cat.OV

[ATTACH]420058[/ATTACH]

E 632 cat.OY

Theo

Hey thanks for these photos. We have e632 booked this summer on the crown and only last week called and asked that the reservation be marked meta upgrade only as I realized what a gem this room is as there is no obstruction and I could be “upgraded” to one which is. :)

[ATTACH]420057[/ATTACH]

E 402 cat.OB

[ATTACH]420059[/ATTACH]

E 330 cat.OV

[ATTACH]420058[/ATTACH]

E 632 cat.OY

Theo

HUH?? I would be enormously disappointed if they had changed my unobstructed view to one of those other cabins and would be asking to be moved back!

HUH?? I would be enormously disappointed if they had changed my unobstructed view to one of those other cabins and would be asking to be moved back!

By the time you realize you have been upgraded, your old cabin is gone.

All my upgrades (3) on Princess have been from a low amidship interiors to balcony cabins.

There are many reasons we don't like balcony cabins and we now make sure to mark our reservations "no upgrades."

• 5 months later...
OP saw the choice when making the booking.

Since you already have the booking you will have to call your TA (or Princess if you are not using a TA) and ask to have your booking marked "will not accept upgrade."

I made a booking 2 days ago, and didn't see any buttons or spaces for a check mark.

Can someone give me a rundown on what the category letters between OA and OF mean? I'm OF guaranteed and those are all booked. I'm fine with OC but that's a long way from OF on Star.

Can anyone with experience of the situation advise me. If you say you do NOT want an upgrade, does that also tell Princess you do not want to be offered an upsell offer? I always say that I do not want an upgrade for the reasons mentioned above, but I would like to consider upsells.

I think it is location.
umm let me ask this another way. On the Star OF guarantee:

OA = na

OB = na

OC = oceanview center behind art gallery

OD = na

OE =Aloha but no idea what it stands for. Doesn't show on app

OF = oceanview front on 5

No available OF. So any guess as to where I am? My ONLY concern is that I don't want obstructed / partial obstructed view and I don't know what the letters OE are (yn)

Edited by Ombud

umm let me ask this another way. On the Star OF guarantee:

OA = na

OB = na

OC = ocean view center behind art gallery & 8 by promenade

OD = na

OE =Aloha but no idea what it stands for

OF = ocean view front on 5 & 8

No available OF on Plaza, 1 on Emerald. So any guess as to where I am? My ONLY concern is that I don't want obstructed / partial obstructed view and I don't know what those letters are (yn)

OF is the lowest category of unobstructed oceanview cabin, so that's the less preferential location, generally all the way forward and sometimes all the way aft. The next best cabins will be a little closer to midships, then the next, next best even closer to midships, and so on. There are no OAs or OBs because there aren't any oceanview cabins in the middle of the ship. That makes OC the "best" located oceanview cabin. This is all from Princess's point of view, of course. Some of us prefer all the way aft or all the way forward, but for Princess pricing, midship is top of the line.

None of those categories are Obstructed Oceanview cabins. If you have an OF guarantee, you will get an OF or better (OF or OC), all unobstructed views. Obstructed oceanview categories are the Os at the end of the alphabet: OV, OW, OY, OZ -- with OV being the midship cabins, so the most preferred location.

I hope this helps and doesn't actually confuse you more!