Room Service tips

springtx249

While we don't use the room service option very often when cruising, we do tip. The crew works very hard and we feel it is appropriate to give them a couple of dollars for the extra effort.

It is, of course, a personal preference and not required.:cool: :cool:

We only order room service in the morning.

For coffee and juice only I tip $1 per person.

For coffee and breakfast I do $2 per person.

I bring a stack of $1's with us and get my tip money out on the desktop the night before so I don't have to fumble for it when the order arrives the following morning.:)

Thats exactly what I do the night before!

Us, too! We put it on the desk the night before to have it ready. I agree, too, with those that commented about them coming into the room carrying the heavy trays into a tight space! Not an easy task especially when the Ship is feeling some "Motion of the Ocean"!

We certainly do not tip room service because we want better service than the cabin down the hall that does not tip.

We tip because we appreciate the service. We tip because we have so much and are thankful that we did not have to make our living in this manner. Neither did our children. Away from home for months, twelve to fourteen hour days with low pay and absolutely zero legal protection in terms of labor legislation or worker's compensation. We realize how fortunate we are to enjoy the good health and the financial resources that enable us to do this.

This is why we tip.

We sometimes wonder about those who come up with excuses as to why they do not tip. No excuse is necessary, It is voluntary. So why come up with some half baked excuse? People will reach their own conclusion about the reason and it will most likely be at variance to the reason stated.

I appreciate the idea of one poster about adding a candy bar to one's tip. I wonder if the Steward would appreciate getting some of the turn-down chocolates I get. I always end up with more than I consume on the ship and take them home.

We usually do breakfast room service and tip $2, if we do an afternoon snack same tip! These folks work hard and deserve the gesture!

yes, we do. they work hard.

The crew works very hard and we feel it is appropriate to give them a couple of dollars for the extra effort.

Not intending to turn this into yet another tipping thread (there already is one dedicated to this topic), but your service staff in the dining room and the folks who serve you in the Lido Market work hard too. Using your rationale for tipping the room service folks (that they work hard), wouldn't you then tip the MDR and Lido personnel as well for the same reason?

Edited by KroozNut

Not intending to turn this into yet another tipping thread (there already is one dedicated to this topic), but your service staff in the dining room and the folks who serve you in the Lido Market work hard too. Using your rationale for tipping the room service folks (that they work hard), wouldn't you then tip the MDR and Lido personnel as well for the same reason?

Just so you know we do tip the Cabin Stewards, DR Stewards, and some Bar Staff above and beyond the daily gratuity that is added to our account, never said we didn’t [emoji17] The question was about Room Service so that’s where I directed my response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We certainly do not tip room service because we want better service than the cabin down the hall that does not tip.

We tip because we appreciate the service. We tip because we have so much and are thankful that we did not have to make our living in this manner. Neither did our children. Away from home for months, twelve to fourteen hour days with low pay and absolutely zero legal protection in terms of labor legislation or worker's compensation. We realize how fortunate we are to enjoy the good health and the financial resources that enable us to do this.

This is why we tip.

Well stated! I agree with you!

I know the general tips are covered by the HSC, but when I order breakfast in the room because I am not motivated to go to one of the dining venues, I appreciate the fact that there is someone who can bring breakfast to me in my room. Some days I can't face the crowded Lido or drag myself out of the room early enough to go to the MDR. I enjoy the peace and quiet of the room to eat breakfast. I am so glad these employees make that possible. It is well worth a few dollars and sending a smile in their direction for us to have that enjoyable peaceful meal.

Just came across a timely and historic note about "tipping" from the early 20th Century opening of the Herter family hotel in Santa Barbara California, named El Mirasol:

..."Catering to the elite of the Gilded Age, El Mirasol advertised itself as the hotel of choice for those who "dislike the publicity, the noise, and promiscuity of a large hotel.... There will be no band, no ill-mannered and indifferent bell boys, no obligatory tipping at every turn to insure attention". Instead the brochure stated "one will find a pervasive spirit of quiet cordiality and cheerfulness"....

(The Way It Was - Beresford)

We certainly do not tip room service because we want better service...We tip because we appreciate the service.

It’s totally discretionary, but it is proper. So yes, I also tip.

Spot on. I totally agree.

Spot on. I totally agree.

For all my cruses, I bring an envelope of $1's, $5's and tens to be sure to have cash to tip room service . they are always so p;leasant and do such a good job, i like to provide a token of thanks.

Just came across a timely and historic note about "tipping" from the early 20th Century opening of the Herter family hotel in Santa Barbara California, named El Mirasol:

..."Catering to the elite of the Gilded Age, El Mirasol advertised itself as the hotel of choice for those who "dislike the publicity, the noise, and promiscuity of a large hotel.... There will be no band, no ill-mannered and indifferent bell boys, no obligatory tipping at every turn to insure attention". Instead the brochure stated "one will find a pervasive spirit of quiet cordiality and cheerfulness"....

Times have changed as has the average traveler.

Just so you know we do tip the Cabin Stewards, DR Stewards, and some Bar Staff above and beyond the daily gratuity that is added to our account, never said we didn’t [emoji17] The question was about Room Service so that’s where I directed my response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is good!

And you find a lot of cordiality and cheerfulness on HAL.

but your quote is way out of date. I have to say as you are one huge cheerleader on the boards, I was pretty surprised at your attitude. I kind of thought that you appreciated service but I get it, you want it all, top service and don't tip extra. No worries. :confused:

Times have changed as has the average traveler.

Absolutely Sail :)

Edited by kazu

And you find a lot of cordiality and cheerfulness on HAL.

but your quote is way out of date. I have to say as you are one huge cheerleader on the boards, I was pretty surprised at your attitude. I kind of thought that you appreciated service but I get it, you want it all, top service and don't tip extra. No wor

Absolutely Sail :)

Generally I have found that those who have been in the service industry are diligent about tipping. That is why I find the attitude strange about wanting top service without tipping extra. I would think it would be imperative, quite frankly.

I appreciate the idea of one poster about adding a candy bar to one's tip. I wonder if the Steward would appreciate getting some of the turn-down chocolates I get. I always end up with more than I consume on the ship and take them home.

It never hurts to add candy to one's tip but many Asians do not have the sweet tooth that Americans and Europeans do.

If you are not willing to tip you should consider eating in one of the dinning rooms. This is a personal service. If it makes someone smile it means it will make me smile knowing it was appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really, Room Service is included within the services provide for most cruises. No tripping is required , Gratuities by definition are voluntary., and therefore should be up to every person to make their own choice. Myself I don't believe in tipping for standard or even good performance. It must be above and beyond.

We always tip, but we have a sliding scale.

If they're w/in the first 15 minutes of the beginning of the time window, we tip double. If they arrive late after then hour has elapsed, it's about half.

But after the first day, they know who tips, and we usually get delivery first thing.

Really, Room Service is included within the services provide for most cruises. No tripping is required , Gratuities by definition are voluntary., and therefore should be up to every person to make their own choice. Myself I don't believe in tipping for standard or even good performance. It must be above and beyond.

It would be interesting to know if you ever worked in one of the service industries at any time during your life?

Your answer is voluntary, of course. :)