New balcony furniture on Caribe deck on Grand

Gettingwarmer

I understand the point about "making the best of a bad situation", but one of three paying passengers should not be forced to sit on a footstool (where other people rest their dirty shoes and feet). If three people are paying for a balcony, then the balcony should have sufficient seating for all. It did up until January, so one cannot make the argument that it is simply impossible or impractical.

Point taken, totally agree. Just making the point that the mini balconies are a bit more user friendly. There were only the 2 of us using the balcony in our mini so it worked out ok for us.

Beachbum

The new chairs on the mini and caribe recline as much as the old ones did. Not fully but quite a ways back. I think the reason they don't fully recline is that if you get too much weight on the back end they spill over. Happened to me once when I got too much weight on the backside and I did a nose dive onto the deck. Can't even start to tell you how hard my wife was laughing. She thought it was the best entertainment she saw for the whole cruise. Can't tell you about the baja or aloha chairs as they were just starting to replace chairs while we were on the Grand and the Crown and hadn't started on those decks yet.

Beachbum

It's good to be able to laugh at things that happen...how did you feel about the deck without the old mat? Some have said that it gets hot or slippery when wet...what was your experience?

Has anyone in a cabin with only 2 chairs actually asked for additional chairs & been denied? I have a feeling that they might be accommodating if approached.

The table is a joke & if I needed additional space I'd just drag out the cabin table & leave it there each day. Let the cabin steward take it back in.

Mentioned on page 1 of this thread

"We were on Diamond Princess in November 2011 when the furniture on the deck was replaced whilst we were in Bangkok! Could not believe it when we came back to our room and found 2 (uncomfortable) chairs and 1 very small table. We tried and tried and tried to obtain an ottoman or 2 recliners for our very large Caribe balcony but to no avail! My DH has a back complaint and could not sit at the chairs for any period of time. He said that the old furtniture (prior to Bangkok) was great. It was also impossible to each breakfast on the deck. Very strange decision! "

We sailed on the Grand princess for 2 weeks in December. We were surprised that there were only 2 chairs on the Caribe balcony and immediately asked our room steward for 2 more chairs. He was most insistent that this was for mini suites only and would not provide the chairs. We asked for something to put our feet up on and he provided one shower seat and one small plastic table plus two cushions. While the cobbled together footstools helped, we were most unhappy about the missing two chairs for entertaining family and friends.

I wrote customer relations about this and their response was ask the room steward. As we experienced, such an approach did not work.

When we were on the Grand in Jan. we asked for a bigger table to serve 3 people and it was given to us the next day. The new chairs were just fine with us. No better or worse than the old ones IMHO.

We tried repeatedly on the Grand (Feb 4th sailing) with no luck. Our steward kept reminding us that additional chairs and a larger table were for mini-suites only. The Caribe balcony was very disappointing considering we usually have breakfast, play cards and dominoes, have appetizers and drinks, and generally use it a lot!

The furniture (or lack of) was uncomfortable and I don't even want to start about the painted metal deck. It's hazardous and an accident waiting to happen. (IMHO) The Caribbean sun warmed it up way too much for bare feet.

We seldom used the balcony during the week, and that was a disappointment. I've never written a complaint before this cruise, but did so before we left the ship.

I totally agree

Part of the fun of a CARIBE deck Balcony is the chairs and SPACE

BRING BACK BIG TABLES and lounge type chairs That is why we book CARIBE balconies ...DUH

I LOve eating outdoors VERy difficult on teenie tiny table!!!

PRINCESS GET WITH IT !!!

I wonder just how many people paying for a Caribe balcony, do so with the intent of using it for entertaining others? The new furniture certainly makes that an uncomfortable option.

Earlier my mom, (calbabe) jokingly mentioned taking folding chairs on as a piece of luggage. I love it, wouldn't that just pound the message home? (for those who live locally of course)

How many people actually use the balcony with bare feet? Other than the swimming pool areas & my shower I can't think of a place where I remove my shoes. :D

Always on the balcony. It's a cruise and I want to be comfortable. Beer and bare feet - the only way to enjoy the balcony. LOL

We always take off our shoes as soon as we get into the cabin, unless we're leaving again right away. Our Moms taught us to take off our shoes at the door, we also lived in Japan for 5 years which reenforced that, I think I'd fall down if I wore shoes on our carpet at home.

How many people actually use the balcony with bare feet? Other than the swimming pool areas & my shower I can't think of a place where I remove my shoes. :D

I would never think to put on shoes just to go out on the balcony. Always barefooting it.

I do...one of my pleasures is to be able to do that at the time of year when I can't back home because it is cold.

I guess I am going to have a whole bunch of stuff from my cabin out on the deck....club chair for an extra chair to replace at least 1 of the 2 they took away, glass top table to replace the "child's play table" and a couple of striped beach towels/now "throw rug" to cover up a floor that will burn my feet otherwise.

I feel sorry for the already overworked cabin steward who is going to have to drag all that stuff back in but hey I booked the Caribe deck for the extra furniture and the large table so I could enjoy breakfast out on my balcony. Between myself and maybe the stewards complaining, we might get Princess listening to us. Sometimes a new idea is not always the best idea!!!

I do...one of my pleasures is to be able to do that at the time of year when I can't back home because it is cold.

I guess I am going to have a whole bunch of stuff from my cabin out on the deck....club chair for an extra chair to replace at least 1 of the 2 they took away, glass top table to replace the "child's play table" and a couple of striped beach towels/now "throw rug" to cover up a floor that will burn my feet otherwise.

I feel sorry for the already overworked cabin steward who is going to have to drag all that stuff back in but hey I booked the Caribe deck for the extra furniture and the large table so I could enjoy breakfast out on my balcony. Between myself and maybe the stewards complaining, we might get Princess listening to us. Sometimes a new idea is not always the best idea!!!

One of the pleasures of having a balcony is being out there barefoot! I don't understand why they are trying to make passangers uncomfortable???

I don't like the mini suites i like the caribe deck balconies they way there were!

I guess it is time to try other lines more often if our caribe deck balconies are gone:confused:

Reader

We always take off our shoes as soon as we get into the cabin, unless we're leaving again right away. Our Moms taught us to take off our shoes at the door, we also lived in Japan for 5 years which reenforced that, I think I'd fall down if I wore shoes on our carpet at home.

I guess it is me that stands along on wearing shoes on the balcony & I never realized it. Even in the cabin we always wear either slippers or water shoes when walking around since people track everything under the sun onto the carpets & the cabin stewards don't shampoo them that often. People walk the filthy streets on all the islands & never give it a second thought about removing their dirty shoes when returning back to the cabin.

btw- We also remove our shoes in our own home & would never think of walking around the house in shoes. We keep a shoe rack in our garage & change off every time.

I guess it is me that stands along on wearing shoes on the balcony & I never realized it. Even in the cabin we always wear either slippers or water shoes when walking around since people track everything under the sun onto the carpets & the cabin stewards don't shampoo them that often. People walk the filthy streets on all the islands & never give it a second thought about removing their dirty shoes when returning back to the cabin.

btw- We also remove our shoes in our own home & would never think of walking around the house in shoes. We keep a shoe rack in our garage & change off every time.

my thoughts to who know whats on the carpet we always wear slippers and i come from the cold north I just wear my summer slippers on the cruise, and as fare as the mats who knows when the last time they were cleaned under them where thing can grow :eek:

My issue is not going barefoot but the balcony gets slippery when wet..water puddled there and remained there during our cruise Jan 21-Feb 4. We also asked for footstools, extra chair and were told there was no extras!

Has anyone had a reply to their emails from customer service or Mr Buckelew yet? Thanks.

I have not received an email or phone call yet but they may be overloaded and just tallying up how many complaints they receive about this change.

My issue is not going barefoot but the balcony gets slippery when wet..water puddled there and remained there during our cruise Jan 21-Feb 4. We also asked for footstools, extra chair and were told there was no extras!

This may the one issue that will get them to change things because of liability issues. Although they could still get around this by replacing the mats while not doing anything about the furniture. :rolleyes:

Archived