Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

I really wonder how much of an issue this whole thing really is.

There have been 651 posts on this thread, 142 or 21% from the same six posters.

I think this is an issue for 6 people, the rest of Princess customers.......maybe not so much.

Very refreshing post. Thank you for taking the time to run the numbers. As a retired math teacher, I found your statistics very interesting. I know it took some time to tally out the data.

Like_zpscf66f3a6.jpg

(borrowed from some other poster, thanks)

I do want to thank the OP for taking his time to announce the enforcement of the wine/champagne policy and returning with updates. I think he did a great service to all that will travel after him.

Renee

Again, I don't see the issue - passengers aren't allowed to bring alcohol (besides wine and champagne) on board at embarkation. Seems pretty cut and dry to me and no different than the policy was before.

But as PunkiC has tried to express, there are times when someone is given a gift / buys gifts before a cruise that they intend to take home with them post cruise. They are not going to open / drink said gifts onboard and would like to have it held like a purchase at a port or duty free store would be.

Apparently they can hold those just fine, but have no procedure something like the gift scenario.

As I got so confused reading all the posts I phoned Princess once again this afternoon re bringing on any quantity of wine and they said that it had to be taken as CARRYON and we would be charged for the amount over the 1 bottle per person. If it was put through the checked baggage it would be confiscated. Then I asked them about liquor at embarkation and they definitely said they would hold it until the end of the cruise.

So who do we believe? Ontario Cruiser.

Lauren did check with someone as she was kept me waiting a long time for the answer

Again, I don't see the issue - passengers aren't allowed to bring alcohol (besides wine and champagne) on board at embarkation. Seems pretty cut and dry to me and no different than the policy was before.

That is not correct. In the past passengers have been able to bring liquor on board at embarkation and ask that it be stored for the voyage, or just take it to their cabin.

I did in fact once ask security about a bottle of vodka and they just waved me through.

It would appear that those of you who think everything is clearly resolved and that nothing has changed, haven't been paying close enough attention.

Very refreshing post. Thank you for taking the time to run the numbers. As a retired math teacher, I found your statistics very interesting. I know it took some time to tally out the data.

Renee

If you left click on a thread's replies number on the board posting page you will get the following. A quick addition and division with provide you with this information.

attachment.php?attachmentid=266937&d=1365110590

Untitled01.jpg.d9d497eff1f352b95757b0a8d125b5d2.jpg

ENOUGH ALREADY !!!!!!

The horse has been beaten to death.

No need to shout...usually if I'm not interested in a thread I don't read it...let alone post on it.

But as PunkiC has tried to express, there are times when someone is given a gift / buys gifts before a cruise that they intend to take home with them post cruise. They are not going to open / drink said gifts onboard and would like to have it held like a purchase at a port or duty free store would be.

I get what's trying to be expressed. The passage contract says that is not allowable. It wasn't allowable to bring hard alcohol before either. Did Princess formerly hold alcohol confiscated at embarkation until the end of the cruise or was it just smuggled onboard?

That is not correct. In the past passengers have been able to bring liquor on board at embarkation and ask that it be stored for the voyage, or just take it to their cabin.

I guess that answers my question...

It would appear that those of you who think everything is clearly resolved and that nothing has changed, haven't been paying close enough attention.

If one reads the passage contract it is clearly explained that any hard alcohol brought on at embarkation and found will be confiscated and discarded. I'm not sure what isn't clear about that. I think there's a reluctance to accept the agreement as written in the contract. Maybe if enough people comment to Princess, they will modify their contract. Otherwise, according to the contract, if you pay your fare, you agree to its terms.

You can try. Many do on other lines with similar policies. Unfortunately, any unsealed bottles are discarded as the cruise lines are quite used to someone trying to sneak on liquor in wine bottles, mouthwash, shampoo, water, soda bottles, etc.

I can only wonder how good all that premium, not-available-on-the-ship liquor is going to taste if brought on board in a mouthwash or shampoo bottle!

If you left click on a thread's replies number on the board posting page you will get the following. A quick addition and division with provide you with this information.

Will wonders never cease! I learned something new today. Amazing what technology can do. I still appreciate that you took the time to do this.

Renee

Will wonders never cease! I learned something new today. Amazing what technology can do. I still appreciate that you took the time to do this.

Renee

It was not I but WpgCruise who provided and then deleted this information in his/her post.

I simply knew a quick and easy way to obtain it.

The wine package is available on all cruises of more than 10 days that I am not on. I have been on 7 cruises, all at least 12 days long on three Princess ships in the past year and not one offered the wine package.
You must have been on the Crown, Emerald, Ruby or Grand :(

Wow I learned something new. I guess this thread wasn't a waste of time after all.

I can only wonder how good all that premium, not-available-on-the-ship liquor is going to taste if brought on board in a mouthwash or shampoo bottle!

Not only will it taste minty fresh but your taste buds will be silky and shinny as well.

For only the 8 millionth time, the prices are not exorbitant. Unless they're giving wine away where you live. The prices on Princess are comparable, if not in many cases below, the standard mark-up charged in most restaurants. And I'm not even in a high-cost-living city. But on visits back home to DC, I've paid far more for a middling Kendall-Jackson or a bottom-tier C-du-Pape than Princess charges.

Princess wine prices might be comparable to U.S. prices ashore, but here in Australia, mark ups are nowhere near what Princess charges. We have plenty of bring your own wine (byo) restaurants too, I am going to one tonight, a Mexican, corkage $2.

Princess is marking up Australian wines by some 500% on the ships. e.g. bottle of Wolf Blass, $8 in the wine shops, $40 on the ships.

I agree with others though, Princess is unlikely to back off on their enforcement of carry on booze, so we just have to live with it.

You're right about liquor that's purchased on the way to the ship, but as someone mentioned above, Princess isn't in the business of storage - isn't embarkation enough of a nightmare?

This makes me laugh. Airlines aren't in the food business, they're in the transportation business. So surely you won't mind if they don't provision any food for your next 8-13 hour transoceanic flight? Maybe they might also ban you from bringing any onboard. After all, they're not in the storage business either. :rolleyes:

I would suggest that Princess is actually in the guest vacation and hospitality business. They're just not being very hospitable and are putting "process" before guest experience or satisfaction. There are many companies that behave this way, Telco's and Utility providers spring to mind. They quickly gain the reputation as being some of the worst companies to do business with.

At the end of the day, the facts are irrefutable. The beloved Princess has won the race to the bottom. No other cruise line is refusing to hold guest liquors or special items they might bring onboard until the end of the cruise. Only Princess. We're not debating smuggling booze onboard here, we're talking about not being able to store a gift or special item someone may have picked up along their vacation travels. I'd imagine a significant number of folks when you start to consider Europe or South America itineraries.

If Princess can't handle an efficient embarkation, then they need to start looking at how other more customer friendly cruise lines seem to manage.

As an "old guy" who went to the school for the computer declined, I too learned something new today!:D

I would suggest that Princess is actually in the guest vacation and hospitality business. They're just not being very hospitable and are putting "process" before guest experience or satisfaction. There are many companies that behave this way, Telco's and Utility providers spring to mind. They quickly gain the reputation as being some of the worst companies to do business with.

At the end of the day, the facts are irrefutable. The beloved Princess has won the race to the bottom. No other cruise line is refusing to hold guest liquors or special items they might bring onboard until the end of the cruise. Only Princess. We're not debating smuggling booze onboard here, we're talking about not being able to store a gift or special item someone may have picked up along their vacation travels. I'd imagine a significant number of folks when you start to consider Europe or South America itineraries.

If Princess can't handle an efficient embarkation, then they need to start looking at how other more customer friendly cruise lines seem to manage.

Agree 100%.

I flat out guaranty you that if Princess had refused to store the Johnnie Walker Blue that was gifted us by the crew on our Lufthansa first-class, transatlantic flight, and decided to dump, or confiscate it, that would be my last Princess cruise ever. Heck, I may have just taken my scotch and gone home before boarding.

I am certain I am not the only passenger who feels this way.

Has anybody seen how this new enforcement will work for those doing B2b or multisegment cruises?

The rules would seem to imply that you can only bring on 1 free bottle for the entire cruise unless you get off between segments and bring on 1 bottle again like anyone else embarking at that point.

This is the question I would like answered also:confused: anyone know? Do I have to ask princess? I am talking about cruises from Australian ports particularly, so who should I ask?:confused::confused::confused:

This makes me laugh. Airlines aren't in the food business, they're in the transportation business. So surely you won't mind if they don't provision any food for your next 8-13 hour transoceanic flight? Maybe they might also ban you from bringing any onboard. After all, they're not in the storage business either. :rolleyes:

All the airlines we've flown with for international not within NA flights have provided complimentary free meals even for those, like ourselves, in the cheap seats. Got three free meals on the 13-14 hours flights we just did to/from Australia, and on our flights to South America and Europe. These were NA airlines and they even provided free wine/beer with the main meals. It's only NA domestic flights that doesn't have free meals. Virgin Australia even provided a complimentary meal and provided free wine/beer on our Australian domestic flight from Perth to Melbourne. I don't know if Virgin America provides the same but I suspect they do.

Archived