Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

I know I will get hammered for this but I don't see the problem except for people who do not want to pay a corkage fee for every bottle of wine brought on above the 1 that is allowed. Alcohol and beer have never been allowed legally. It appears people are upset that now they may be caught doing something they have been doing illegally for years. My problem is the inconsistency with the wine packages. Some ships offer it and some don't. I will happily pay the corkage fee but would rather buy a wine package and not have to deal with carrying it on. It might not be my favorite but it is only a few days or weeks. I think I will live without my all time favorite. Again....I am obviously not a wine expert, but love my glass of wine on my balcony before dinner and with dinner. I agree there has been inconsistency in implementation, but if we are prepared for the written and stated policy.....no problem. We all need to lighten up or we are going to be so stressed we won't enjoy our cruise. Can we please move on?

Recently, I saw a copy of the Princess Patter from a year ago. I found it interesting that there were several meetings referred to as the Friends of Bill W.

For those who have significant feelings about their inability to bring extra liquor, wine or beer aboard ship, may I suggest you attend one of these meetings and express your concerns and feelings about this injustice. I am sure they would be most interested in your opinions and would be willing to assist you with them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I don't think that people are particularly upset with the fact that Princess wants to charge a corkage fee for every bottle of wine brought on board--that is their absolute right. It's a little tacky and Mickey Mouse and, at least in my mind, drops Princess down a notch or two closer to NCL or Carnival, but hey, it's their cruise line and they can run it however they wish. Some people will move on and some people will stay, as is their absolute right.

What I think really upsets people is the lack of clarity in defining their new policy and the ridiculous lack of clear communication with their existing customer base. These failures were totally unnecessary and could have easily been avoided by a little bit of careful planning. The only thing they have accomplished with this sloppy approach is annoying otherwise loyal customers.

I know I will get hammered for this but I don't see the problem except for people who do not want to pay a corkage fee for every bottle of wine brought on above the 1 that is allowed. Alcohol and beer have never been allowed legally. It appears people are upset that now they may be caught doing something they have been doing illegally for years.

This was my thought too. I haven't read through all 39 pages of posts, but why are people upset about this? Hasn't it been the policy for a long time?

This was my thought too. I haven't read through all 39 pages of posts, but why are people upset about this? Hasn't it been the policy for a long time?

You appear to have been posting the same time I was posting.

I am upset because Princess hasn't clearly stated or communicate their policy. There have been so many changes in the last month that nobody (including their own staff) really understands what Princess is trying to do.

They jumped the gun and it is now coming back to haunt them.

You appear to have been posting the same time I was posting.

I am upset because Princess hasn't clearly stated or communicate their policy. There have been so many changes in the last month that nobody (including their own staff) really understands what Princess is trying to do.

They jumped the gun and it is now coming back to haunt them.

That's totally fair. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I would agree, they need consistency for all policies across all ships, but it doesn't seem to happen that with with this policy or others.

That's totally fair. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I would agree, they need consistency for all policies across all ships, but it doesn't seem to happen that with with this policy or others.

Princess is consistently inconsistent with everything so I don't understand the uproar over this policy not being followed through. If you are still lucky enough to smuggle your alcohol or not have to pay $15 for an extra bottle of wine then just be thankful and don't come back here to report or brag about it. With all of the fuss I haven't read one post of someone canceling a cruise over the inconsistency so I don't see any signs of this biting Princess in the AFT. My next cruise is on Celebrity and it has nothing to do with any policy or cutback and all to do with the lame Caribbean itineraries.

Thanks for publishing this. I copied and pasted it into a Word document, changed the "To" line to read as my email address, and printed it out. It will go in my travel folder for my upcoming cruise. Plagarism? Maybe. But I know how these things go. If I fire off an email inquiring on the topic, I am going to get the same "form" response, so I figure that I will save them the trouble and time. :)

What a great idea!!! I would like to do the same but am not that computer savvy. Would you please run me thru how you do this. I did highlight, then chose "copy", then right clicked again but do not see "paste", so guess am doing it wrong. We would sure like to bring on a couple bottles of wine from the ports we are visiting and since the quote says we are allowed one bottle per person from a port of call, well, this is great news!!!! I was led to believe that we were not allowed to bring on any wine from a port of call.

Marion

What a great idea!!! I would like to do the same but am not that computer savvy. Would you please run me thru how you do this. I did highlight, then chose "copy", then right clicked again but do not see "paste", so guess am doing it wrong. We would sure like to bring on a couple bottles of wine from the ports we are visiting and since the quote says we are allowed one bottle per person from a port of call, well, this is great news!!!! I was led to believe that we were not allowed to bring on any wine from a port of call.

Marion

Not familiar with Apple products, but with other computers, you will need to use your Word program. Open a blank Word document and minimize it. Highlight and copy the desired text, then maximize your blank Word doc and right click and select Paste. If you don't have Word or similar installed on your computer, you can go to Start and display all programs ... scroll to and select Accessories, then Paint. Draw a box around the desired text here in this thread and save it. It'll save as a jpg but you should be able too print it. Good luck!

Princess is consistently inconsistent with everything so I don't understand the uproar over this policy not being followed through. If you are still lucky enough to smuggle your alcohol or not have to pay $15 for an extra bottle of wine then just be thankful and don't come back here to report or brag about it. With all of the fuss I haven't read one post of someone canceling a cruise over the inconsistency so I don't see any signs of this biting Princess in the AFT. My next cruise is on Celebrity and it has nothing to do with any policy or cutback and all to do with the lame Caribbean itineraries.

I suspect that most folks don't even know what's happening, yet and am curious to see what kind of feedback we get when the Golden comes back next week.

While we typically have several cruises booked out in advance, we are holding off booking anything until we see how this all falls out. I just don't want to get into a situation where what happens at embarkation is in conflict with what Princess happens to tell us on that given day are the current "rules". I don't have much patience for that kind of nonsense and am better off avoiding the situation.

I know I will get hammered for this but I don't see the problem except for people who do not want to pay a corkage fee for every bottle of wine brought on above the 1 that is allowed. Alcohol and beer have never been allowed legally. It appears people are upset that now they may be caught doing something they have been doing illegally for years. My problem is the inconsistency with the wine packages. Some ships offer it and some don't. I will happily pay the corkage fee but would rather buy a wine package and not have to deal with carrying it on. It might not be my favorite but it is only a few days or weeks. I think I will live without my all time favorite. Again....I am obviously not a wine expert, but love my glass of wine on my balcony before dinner and with dinner. I agree there has been inconsistency in implementation, but if we are prepared for the written and stated policy.....no problem. We all need to lighten up or we are going to be so stressed we won't enjoy our cruise. Can we please move on?

Well stated.....:):):)

Bob

Not familiar with Apple products, but with other computers, you will need to use your Word program. Open a blank Word document and minimize it. Highlight and copy the desired text, then maximize your blank Word doc and right click and select Paste. If you don't have Word or similar installed on your computer, you can go to Start and display all programs ... scroll to and select Accessories, then Paint. Draw a box around the desired text here in this thread and save it. It'll save as a jpg but you should be able too print it. Good luck!

I do have Word. Thank you, I will give it a shot.icon7.gif

I agree there has been inconsistency in implementation, but if we are prepared for the written and stated policy.....no problem. We all need to lighten up or we are going to be so stressed we won't enjoy our cruise. Can we please move on?

Once Princess has figured out what it is actually doing, and does in fact issue a "final and complete" written policy, clearly setting forth all of the rules and dates of implementation, we will all be able to move on.

Their continued failure to do so has been the only issue all along.

There is a legally-binding, expressed liability tied to their agreement to hold/return product bought in ports and from duty free shops. No such legally binding language exists at this point for items carried aboard during embarkation (or smuggled aboard) , nor should they ever open that door.....

What is your definition of a port? When I look at cruises on the Princess website the embarkation port is listed as a "port"...therefore, if my cruise is departing from Barcelona, they have Barcelona listed as the port for day 1.

As well, many of the embarkation ports have duty free shops that you can visit before boarding the ship.

Therefore, if they have this legally binding agreement that you're referring to, they should be holding bottles brought onboard in Barcelona the same way they do for ones people bring onboard in Rome, Naples or any other port.

I did a Med cruise with X last fall and they had no problems holding bottles at the start of the cruise for those who bought wine/liquor to take home. It certainly didn't delay boarding either.

I really don't understand what everyone is so upset about. To me there is little change in their policy. You were always allowed to take one bottle of wine and no alcohol. Now they do allow you to take more wine on if you pay a $15 corkage fee. I think many people here got too used to not following the rules. Has there been any actual proof that they will not store liquor you bought in ports.

Sorry if this upsets people here but please stop upsetting people checking here

Nice! At least I can bring wine on. There is a guy on youtube who teaches how to uncork your wine bottle, pour in hard liquor and then recork it without it ever looking opened. One wine bottle with hard liquor should be more then enough for a week.

So this whole discussion would have not existed if it weren't for this kind of behavior. Do you really think Princess doesn't know what you're doing?

Seems like so much work to get liquor through the embarkation process. Wouldn't it be easier for those currently smuggling items to just shove the bottles in your pants, or the ladies could just tape the bottles to their legs under their skirts.

Or, prisoners have been using another favorite hiding place for years with some success...........

Afterall, they are not frisking passengers at this point.

Amen brother.

IWhile we typically have several cruises booked out in advance, we are holding off booking anything until we see how this all falls out. I just don't want to get into a situation where what happens at embarkation is in conflict with what Princess happens to tell us on that given day are the current "rules". I don't have much patience for that kind of nonsense and am better off avoiding the situation.

Really? It's that bad? If one were to follow what is printed in the Passage Contract - as I stated about 12 pages back, the legal and binding document of agreement between Princess and Passenger - then there would be no conflict. The passenger wouldn't have to worry about whether Princess - in it's perfectly permissable discretion - is enforcing the policy or not. You read the paragraph in the contract (which even though it's posted in this thread more than once, people seem reluctant to do) follow what it says and you're on board with no hassle. It seems that people who want to behave outside what's stated in the contract are the ones who are inclined to state that it's not clear, not communicated properly (although I'm still waiting for a suggestion of how it should be communicated) or confusing.

This is such a little thing I don't understand how someone would cease to sail Princess unless they really are attached to their booze. Further, how do people deal with the more complicated things in life? It's certainly an interesting discussion, and not only for what's been discussed.

I know I will get hammered for this but I don't see the problem except for people who do not want to pay a corkage fee for every bottle of wine brought on above the 1 that is allowed.

I see a problem with paying a $15 corkage fee for wine I want to bring home, not consume on the ship.

What is your definition of a port? When I look at cruises on the Princess website the embarkation port is listed as a "port"...therefore, if my cruise is departing from Barcelona, they have Barcelona listed as the port for day 1.

As well, many of the embarkation ports have duty free shops that you can visit before boarding the ship.

Therefore, if they have this legally binding agreement that you're referring to, they should be holding bottles brought onboard in Barcelona the same way they do for ones people bring onboard in Rome, Naples or any other port.

I did a Med cruise with X last fall and they had no problems holding bottles at the start of the cruise for those who bought wine/liquor to take home. It certainly didn't delay boarding either.

It seems logical that if the cruise line will store your alcohol purchased in port that they should do so at embarkation. What created all this drama was the Princess VP who said that they would no longer do so. The sooner she sets the record straight --- the better.

I suspect that most folks don't even know what's happening, yet and am curious to see what kind of feedback we get when the Golden comes back next week.

While we typically have several cruises booked out in advance, we are holding off booking anything until we see how this all falls out. I just don't want to get into a situation where what happens at embarkation is in conflict with what Princess happens to tell us on that given day are the current "rules". I don't have much patience for that kind of nonsense and am better off avoiding the situation.

Well I think you are going to have a long wait before booking a cruise with Princess. I just listened to the video where it describes each room from interior to suite. When it describes the suite it mentions extra amenities one of which is access to the internet in the internet cafe. Now it doesn't tell you that the access is free but everyone has access to the internet cafe no matter what type room you book. If I didn't know better the way that video plays It is implied that you have free access to the internet if you book a suite. Now if they can't change that video for a policy that was changed almost a year ago so that it isn't ambiguous, than how confident can you be that they will actually follow through with the wine/alcohol policy. You have already stated in another thread that you are willing to pay the $15 corkage fee to bring on extra wine so I don't see why you are having a problem with their lack of communication or misinformation which they are famous for. You know the rule when calling a customer service rep. You have to call at least 3 times and decide which of the 3 answers you get for the same question is the correct one. Just go with the flow. If they don't charge you for the case of wine you will be pleasantly surprised.

That's interesting. Why not just assume that the policy going forward is going to the strictest application of all the stated and spoken policies and move forward based on that? No storage, no hard liquor, no wine in ports other than the embarkation port, $15 corkage on all wine brought on the ship over the first bottle. Then, if it turns out to be less than that you'll win on two counts: first, you'll have a cruise to look forward and you'll able to feel like came out ahead.

If you still aren't booking, you'll have to admit that communication really isn't the issue at all.

We just returned (27 March - 6 April) from Cruising on the Emerald Princess and had no issues carring wine aboard. No questions, comments, dirty looks or additional fees. I brought on two 1.5 L bottles of wine at Port Everglades and two 750 ML bottles of wine at St. Kitts. I saw others Cruises bring on beer at some of the other ports we visited. There was a guy in front of me going through security in St. Lucia holding two open bottles of beer and nothing was said to him.

Archived