Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

That's interesting. Why not just assume that the policy going forward is going to the strictest application of all the stated and spoken policies and move forward based on that? No storage, no hard liquor, no wine in ports other than the embarkation port, $15 corkage on all wine brought on the ship over the first bottle. Then, if it turns out to be less than that you'll win on two counts: first, you'll have a cruise to look forward and you'll able to feel like came out ahead.

If you still aren't booking, you'll have to admit that communication really isn't the issue at all.

Beautifully said. Amen.

That's interesting. Why not just assume that the policy going forward is going to the strictest application of all the stated and spoken policies and move forward based on that? No storage, no hard liquor, no wine in ports other than the embarkation port, $15 corkage on all wine brought on the ship over the first bottle. Then, if it turns out to be less than that you'll win on two counts: first, you'll have a cruise to look forward and you'll able to feel like came out ahead.

If you still aren't booking, you'll have to admit that communication really isn't the issue at all.

For what it's worth, your "strictest application" is not the current policy, well at least as it is currently posted--it could well change again this afternoon.

I have no problem with paying the $15.00 corkage fee on wine we bring on board, which will actually be cheaper that buying wine at dinner, which is what we have always done in the past. I have no problem with not taking liquor on board--we don't even always use all of the liquor we get in our free mini-bar set up.

I do have a problem with conflicting statement from Princess.

First they tell us that all of the wine has to be in carry on luggage, and then they tell us it doesn't matter if it is in checked bags.

They tell us that they won't store liquor brought on board, but then they say they will.

They tell us that we can't buy wine at ports of call, but then change their policy to say that we can.

They clearly print on all luggage tags that customers can bring as much wine on board as they desire if they are willing to pay the $15.00 corkage fee on every bottle after the first per adult, and then refuse to allow passengers to pay the corkage fee and board their wine. Princess responds that they will contact ship's management to straighten it out.

The communication, both internal and external, has been horrid.

I don't care about the legal mumble jumble and what they have a "right" to change at any time without prior notice. I go on vacation to relax and have fun and it would be no fun at all to buy a bottle of wine in a port, anticipating that we would sip it on our balcony as we sailed away (after we had paid our $15 corkage fee), and then be told upon reboarding that we were not allowed to bring it on board. That would put me in a mood that wouldn't feel like vacation. ;)

Once they have figured out what they are doing and the dust settles, we will start cruising again. Until then, I am comfortable watching from the debacle from the sidelines.

My take is that they are currently experimenting on the Golden to see how it flies and will adapt their policies as they go. It would further appear that they simply forgot to take into account that the language on the Australian luggage tags had also changed, so they didn't bother to communicate with their Australian staff, making for some very unhappy passengers embarking in Australia.

Oh by the way, caribill, I totally agree. They really do need to come up with way to store wine that you want to take home without charging a corkage--especially if they are sponsoring wine tours.

Well I think you are going to have a long wait before booking a cruise with Princess. I just listened to the video where it describes each room from interior to suite. When it describes the suite it mentions extra amenities one of which is access to the internet in the internet cafe. Now it doesn't tell you that the access is free but everyone has access to the internet cafe no matter what type room you book. If I didn't know better the way that video plays It is implied that you have free access to the internet if you book a suite. Now if they can't change that video for a policy that was changed almost a year ago so that it isn't ambiguous, than how confident can you be that they will actually follow through with the wine/alcohol policy.

Actually, the video is even more outdated than you indicate.

Several years ago the suite Internet access was changed to also allow free wi-fi access. That never made it to the video which only mentions the Internet Cafe usage.

Oh by the way, caribill, I totally agree. They really do need to come up with way to store wine that you want to take home without charging a corkage--especially if they are sponsoring wine tours.
The current versions of both the US and the Aus/NZ Passage Contracts state:

"You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage."

Since wine is an alcoholic beverage, you SHOULD be able to surrender wine as well as other alcoholic beverages and have it delivered on the last night of the voyage per the terms of the Passage Contract. Either Ms. Benson didn't read the document prior to making her statement, or Princess is planning to change the policy. That is really one of the issues we would like to have clarified.

There aer no restrictions on carrying soda or water on board.

True, but from a revenue perspective one can say that by not purchasing the soda cards / onboard bottled water at ridiculously marked up rates then you aren't doing your part. The teetotalers could make a bigger dent in Princess' bottom line by purchasing everything onboard.

From a safety point of view, drinking too much water at once can cause death as well, just as drinking too much alcohol can.

We can't be too safe now, can we?? Just think of the children! :rolleyes:

From the passenger contract:

"Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy."

So, if You consume the wine in your stateroom then it should not be subject to a corkage fee. I would interpret the above to mean that You can bring on all the wine you want and as long as it is consumed in your stateroom (which is not a public ship area) then no corkage fee. You should then be able to bring the one "free" bottle per person to any public area and consume it sans corkage fee.

Thoughts?

OK, so I have read through all 40+ pages now (not necessarily scouring every single word but, I do have a good grasp on most of this)

Now here is my point of view.....

It seems like Princess and everyone else is calling the additional $15 charge for each bottle of wine over the limit a "Corkage Fee" which implies that they are providing a service for this fee. Now, this may be true in many cases, especially if one chooses to bring one of these bottles to a public, shipboard venue however, in many cases this should actually be considered a tax. Yes, I did say tax because if I choose to enjoy the entire contents of this bottle on my veranda or in my stateroom whenever I choose, they are not really providing a service. What if I wanted to enjoy this bottle at 3 AM on my veranda? Could I just call room service and have them send someone right up to open and pour this for me? Would they leave and be "on call" so that if I wanted a second glass 30 minutes later they would be there to pour it as well? After all, that is what the term, "corkage fee" implies.

Maybe they should just stop playing games with words and add on to our cruise fares and be done with it. We all know that these are basically just word games to make some people think they can cruise for less than it really costs.

If we really want to be treated like adults we should accept all of the consequences and not just those that suit our tastes at the moment. The bottom line is tell the truth and live with the consequences.

Flame me if you wish, but I had to vent.

By the way, antsp, thanks for posting originally and letting us all know of the change in enforcement.

Jed

Maybe they should just stop playing games with words and add on to our cruise fares and be done with it. We all know that these are basically just word games to make some people think they can cruise for less than it really costs.

Um...I don't want to pay for the wine other people bring on board to, as you suggest, have in their stateroom at 3 o'clock in the morning. Nor do I want to be penalized because Princess is trying to stop the smuggling of alcohol by other passengers. I think the policy is just fine as it is stated - if you bring the wine, you pay for the privledge.

Not just destroyed, drank. Years ago I tried to bring some bottles of rum on the ship from an island and I was told I would get them back at the end. They took the bottles didn't even ask for a room or name, at the end of the cruise we never got them back.

You should have gotten a reciept for any checked in alcohol from port visits. Maybe the staff person forgot to ask for this information in order to do so. When I've done this I always ensure I get one with what we handed in and our name and cabin indicated on it. It certainly came in handy once when a checked in bottle of alcohol got lmisplaced by the ship staff.

If you didn't give the person doing this your name and cabin #, how is ship going to know where to deliver the alcohol at the end of the cruise.

Um...I don't want to pay for the wine other people bring on board to, as you suggest, have in their stateroom at 3 o'clock in the morning. Nor do I want to be penalized because Princess is trying to stop the smuggling of alcohol by other passengers. I think the policy is just fine as it is stated - if you bring the wine, you pay for the privledge.

Well said.

Did you bring your own glasses? Clean them properly? From everything I have read, one service Princess has been providing for quite a while now is stewards will bring and replace wine glasses. That to me is part of what corkage covers in terms of service.

OK, so I have read through all 40+ pages now (not necessarily scouring every single word but, I do have a good grasp on most of this)

It seems like Princess and everyone else is calling the additional $15 charge for each bottle of wine over the limit a "Corkage Fee" which implies that they are providing a service for this fee. Now, this may be true in many cases, especially if one chooses to bring one of these bottles to a public, shipboard venue however, in many cases this should actually be considered a tax. Yes, I did say tax because if I choose to enjoy the entire contents of this bottle on my veranda or in my stateroom whenever I choose, they are not really providing a service. What if I wanted to enjoy this bottle at 3 AM on my veranda? Could I just call room service and have them send someone right up to open and pour this for me? Would they leave and be "on call" so that if I wanted a second glass 30 minutes later they would be there to pour it as well? After all, that is what the term, "corkage fee" implies.

If we really want to be treated like adults we should accept all of the consequences and not just those that suit our tastes at the moment. The bottom line is tell the truth and live with the consequences.

Flame me if you wish, but I had to vent.

By the way, antsp, thanks for posting originally and letting us all know of the change in enforcement.

Jed

The "corkage fee" is not a fee for the service removing the cork. It is a fee for allowing you to drink your own wine in their establishment. This is done in some restaurants as well as on cruise ships. See the following explanation: http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-corkage-fee.htm

You cannot call it a "tax" because that would imply it is paid to a government of some sort. It is a fee. Call it a BYOB fee if it makes you feel better. "Corkage fee" is still the commonly used term.

Just off the Ruby. Asked the room steward for wine glasses. His response "that is not part of my job, call room service." Got 2 glasses the first night, they were taken and never replaced. So it is not always a service provided by the room steward.

Did you bring your own glasses? Clean them properly? From everything I have read, one service Princess has been providing for quite a while now is stewards will bring and replace wine glasses. That to me is part of what corkage covers in terms of service.

Just off the Ruby. Asked the room steward for wine glasses. His response "that is not part of my job, call room service." Got 2 glasses the first night, they were taken and never replaced. So it is not always a service provided by the room steward.

Had exactly the same experience on the Sapphire last Fall and the Diamond last Spring. Room service now brings the glasses and Stewart does not clean them.

In Loonbeam's defense however, I do remember Stewart when he was on our cruise on the Coral did bring the glasses and kept them clean.

Things have changed and will continue to do so.

...... Nor do I want to be penalized because Princess is trying to stop the smuggling of alcohol by other passengers. I think the policy is just fine as it is stated - if you bring the wine, you pay for the privledge.

What smuggling? On our last 4 long cruises I put the "contraband" in properly labeled boxes, attached luggage tags and submitted them with my personal belongings. On the recent 49 day Grand Princess voyage that included 2 boxes that clearly stated wine, and in each were 6 bottles of 1.5L volume each. Another box labeled Gin held one 1.5L and one .75L bottles plus mixer. All were delivered with no problem, despite the "policy".

That's the problem that many of us have, policy and practice were not together. If you plan to change your practice, TELL US BEFOREHAND!

Princess is consistently inconsistent with everything so I don't understand the uproar over this policy not being followed through. . With all of the fuss I haven't read one post of someone canceling a cruise over the inconsistency so I don't see any signs of this biting Princess in the AFT.

I cancelled a California coast cruise over this matter.

Did you bring your own glasses? Clean them properly?

Yes. The only reason that I bring wine with me is to enjoy some high end stuff from my cellar that I saved for a special occasion. To me, vacations are the "special occasion”. The glasses provided in the cabins simply aren’t anywhere near the style or quality that I would use to drink high end wine. I don’t expect Princess to provide such glasses to me in my cabin, so I bring and clean my own. That said, I still don’t have any problem paying the corkage fee, even when I pull the cork and bring and wash my own glasses. The fee represents lost revenue, and I am fine paying it. I don’t want or need Princess to raise fares for everyone just so that I can drink fine wine out of nice crystal. That’s my idiosyncrasy, and I have no problem paying for it.

I have never cruised before, (have an upcoming "virgin" cruise:D)but have read with great interest the posts from the "seasoned" cruiser. Those posts I most care about, Princess should as well.

Consistency is what is needed, and I think that is all most are asking for. Sounds very reasonable. If you know what to expect, then you can plan accordingly.

I really appreciate you cruisers with lots of experience giving your thoughts. :)

Some people will chose to "push" the rules, others would never dare. The ones who would never dare, I find have some of the most "pointed" comments. Unfortunately, or fortunately we do not live in a black and white world. There are many, many shades of grey. :rolleyes:

I cancelled a California coast cruise over this matter.

Thats a said thing to do over a policy that EVERYONE knows is against cruise lines policies. EVERYONE knows that bringing booze on board is not allowed, the difference here is that instead of them taking it away from you and then returning the morning of disembarkation they are dumping it. For all the cruisers out there that think you would never get found out because you never did in the past... well the times they are a changing.

Cruise lines like airlines are looking to boost their bottom lines and this is one way. You pay for your drinks.

It is your loss if you choose to cancel because of this new policy, but someone else will take your spot.

Not familiar with Apple products, but with other computers, you will need to use your Word program. Open a blank Word document and minimize it. Highlight and copy the desired text, then maximize your blank Word doc and right click and select Paste. If you don't have Word or similar installed on your computer, you can go to Start and display all programs ... scroll to and select Accessories, then Paint. Draw a box around the desired text here in this thread and save it. It'll save as a jpg but you should be able too print it. Good luck!

I do have Word. Thank you, I will give it a shot.icon7.gif

Hope you were successful.

To clarify: I erred in my suggestion to use Paint if you didn't have Word. I meant Start, display all programs, select Accessories, then the Snipping Tool.

Yes. The only reason that I bring wine with me is to enjoy some high end stuff from my cellar that I saved for a special occasion. To me, vacations are the "special occasion”. The glasses provided in the cabins simply aren’t anywhere near the style or quality that I would use to drink high end wine. I don’t expect Princess to provide such glasses to me in my cabin, so I bring and clean my own. That said, I still don’t have any problem paying the corkage fee, even when I pull the cork and bring and wash my own glasses. The fee represents lost revenue, and I am fine paying it. I don’t want or need Princess to raise fares for everyone just so that I can drink fine wine out of nice crystal. That’s my idiosyncrasy, and I have no problem paying for it.

We feel the exact same way!!!!!

Cheers to you,

Denise

Hello! I believe that you are entitled to bring on only one bottle of wine pp and that on Norwegian there is a corkage fee regardless of where you consume it. If, you are sailing with Carnival there is no corkage fee if you drink it in your stateroom, but only one pp still applies. However, if you choose to take your bottle of wine in the dining room, yes on carnival a corkage fee applies. I am not sure about the other cruiselines. If you like wine, just pay the $15.00 and call it part of the price of the cruise. Enjoy!

Actually, the video is even more outdated than you indicate.

Several years ago the suite Internet access was changed to also allow free wi-fi access. That never made it to the video which only mentions the Internet Cafe usage.

Oh I realized that since I had wifi on my last sailing back in 2010 and I was in an interior stateroom.

Archived